Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your motorcycles!

babs

A-List Customer
Yeah it'd just be a matter of shooting a vid, dumping it to a PC then upload to youtube probably. Then you can link it wherever, in here or other.

Local for sale... 2000 Chief.
If it were only my decision, I would have already stroked a check for it. Great fixer-upper.. Some new cables, a few replacement chrome goodies like the outter primary cover, etc. New rear wheel to replace pitted original.. Just cash. But still.. An 88 cube Indian (one of the good S&S engines) for less than $10k. That thing is long too.. Sits low and long... Longer than an FL softail even. The neck is stretched way out there. I bet it rides like a cadillac.

http://www.mr-motorcycle.com/new_ve...6K2009J8I14I40JAMQ2664R0&veh=1058&pov=1430029

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Mr Fish,

Dangerous to compare bikes?? How else can we decide which to buy without comparing?? Prior to 1949, I LOVE Harley-Davidson. Both as a company and as a motorcycle. After that, I loose interest. Today, sadly, they sell a name and style. Hence the strong gay-pirate following :D They sell "bad boy"... sadly leather chaps and vests and bandanas are popular...

As for my old ride, it was posted up/earlier in the thread but has gone to image-hosting heaven. I'll try to find and repost. It was a 1937 "W", 45" SV. Its since been traded to a friend for his project as I'm broke from too many projects... Its a '77 Shovelhead in 1940s rigid frame and forks ala- late 50s chopper (i.e. not NOT 70s style w/silly stretched forks). Its runs and is cobbled together but NOT really want I want...

However, about 40% complete is my replica 1938 knucklehead. Mixture of original and replica parts. Motor is the biggest and most important piece which I don't yet have... S&S/Flathead Power motor. Have original 4speed being rebuilt so the motor/tranny are the 60%

I'll post images when I get the knucklehead done... it would be easier/quicker/cheaper if I wasn't learning as I went...

Clint

mrfish

New in Town
Excellent choice of machines, CB. I love the old Harleys too. If fact, the '38 knucklehead is one of my favorites. I have to admit, I'd rather have a Henderson or Indian 4, but I wouldn't deny a knuckle a spot in the unholy garage. However, I wouldn't want to ride one on today's interstates. That's where a police motor like Peacoats' would be a perfect choice. (Great bike, Sir.)

I have to admit, even with my current Harley fondness, it can be a real annoyance to stroll into a HD dealership/boutique nowadays. If you ever catch me wearing motorcycle branded underwear, feel free to choke me with my own fedora. However, despite all the shenanigans, I still feel that HD make some good honest machines that are well suited to their intended purposes-- comfortable, reliable, ground covering transports.

By "dangerous to compare bikes" I just meant that there is always another bike out there that is faster, prettier, more reliable or more comfortable than whatever we choose to ride. Heck, I ride Guzzi, so I definitely know whereof I speak.

fish

Radio Dazed

New in Town
Hi'ya gents!

My most fovorite motorcycle, 1965 Ducati 250 Scrambler. Just can't beat that classic style. I really dig the minimalist look.
1965+Ducati+Scrambler+2_001.jpg

My most recent aquisition, 1974 Yamaha TX650A. To quote another 650 affection ado "the Yamaha 650 twin is the best British bike the Japs ever made".
I spent two months this last summer stripping it to the frame and rebuilding it.
_74+TX650+7-27-09+1_001.jpg

John

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
mrfish said:
Some lovely bikes here. I have to say, for years I was an anti-Harley snob. "Slow, heavy, overpriced. . . ", well you've all heard the drivel, but I really am appreciating them now. My favorites are the big twins, especially the Police versions. The solo saddles and saddlebags really make them stand out as good useful bikes with a lot of style. I think one is in my future. I hope so, anyway.

mrfish
I'm in the same boat. I hated them with a passion for years.

One day I hope to buy or make my own bobber. I've seen some softtail conversions that look great.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
babs said:
.... I'm not sure why you did either!! :) hehe Those drifters were cool. I'm shocked at what the 1500's are going for these days. I saw one blow out at $3k!!!! I really wish Kawa would come out with a new one with their new big-inch belt drive engines and seam-less tanks.. Maybe a version of the new Vulcan 1700. Lowered and stretched with Indian-esque fenders, white-walls and spokes. I'd be in line to salute that one I think if they sent it up the flag-pole.

Perfect foundation for a bobber project.

i.e.:

l_3b08230cf73c97fb9d67d13e31e88b16.jpg

Radio Dazed

New in Town
I really like the Yamaha 650's, wether Standards or Specials because they lend themselves to easy vintage modification. Especially with all the new and used parts available. Oh, and you can pick up a 650 without breaking the bank too.

Of coarse, this is if you're a 'do-it-yourselfer' like I tend to be.

Here's a converted 650 Special. The guy who did this lives in my neck of the woods. He calls it a vintage street tracker.
YamahaTracker_001.jpg

Here's a 650 Heirtige Special converted into a vintage bobber by the Fong Bros.
FongBrosBike1_001.jpg

Is that retro or what!

And here's a 650 in vintage Clubman dress.
Yam+650+cafe+1.jpg

I'm Looking for another Yam 650 to make convert into a vintage Street Tracker like the first photo.

John

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Lots of good stuff you guys! And your's all run...:(

Me, depending friends' help and learning have been having a heck of a time getting my shovel going- but its almost done!

Here are images- my old 1937 is in the back-ground, my friend's shovel (which is now mine) the foreground. I've since tried as much as possible to back-date to more late 1950s style... At least the Shovel can do highway speeds.

119v22a.jpg

Clint

mrfish

New in Town
Is that a Hot or Cold faucet on the oil bag, CB?

Good looking bikes, one and all. Though I have had bikes with bodywork, those days are over for me. I prefer to see the engines. Also, access is so much easier.

fish

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't had a bike in years, but the bug is threatening to bite again.

Trouble is, I'm a Moose Malloy type, an American of size, gravitationally challenged, however you want to put it.

The only motorcycles I see fellows my size riding are Harleys, and mainly the Big Twins.

The Dyna Super Glide Custom looks good to me, any thoughts?

Tony in Tarzana said:
I haven't had a bike in years, but the bug is threatening to bite again.

Trouble is, I'm a Moose Malloy type, an American of size, gravitationally challenged, however you want to put it.

The only motorcycles I see fellows my size riding are Harleys, and mainly the Big Twins.

The Dyna Super Glide Custom looks good to me, any thoughts?

Dyna SuperGlide is a nice bike....but for a bigger man..I highly recommend the Road King. Handles well...and comfy,too.
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
HD is right, as usual. You will need a large frame motorcycle, such as the Road King. For a picture of one doing a slow speed U turn go back to the previous page, toward the bottom. Of course that is a police motor that has learned its slow speed tricks, but you will see what it can do.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have to admit, the first time I saw a Road King, I said "I want it!"

Back when I was about 80 pounds lighter, my first bike was a Yamaha 550 Vision. Poor thing really struggled to haul me around, and I must have dropped it a half dozen times. Very high CG, not a good beginner bike.

Next bike was a Yamaha 750 Virago, an '83 with the Monoshock rear, which was much better suited to me.

The only thing with the Road King that would take some getting used to would be the foot boards. I've sat on one at a dealership and my foot kept fouling the shifter when I put it up on the board.

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree about the shifter. My last two Harleys had foot boards and heel shifters--that's the part that can cause the problem. I just took the heel shifter off and use the standard toe shifter. If you go back a page and look at my Police Road King, you should be able to see that it has no heel shifter, and my boot is resting where the shifter would have been. Removing the heel shifter also gives more room, a lot more room, at the back of the foot board. I need this room for long trips.

StraightEight

One of the Regulars
Just stole an '05 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS off Craigslist. Used the new Ford Transit Connect to go retrieve it from far away Lodi, Ca. It proved to be a perfect little bike hauler.

P1000248small.jpg

Lancealot

Practically Family
Here's my first and only bike. I have had it about 2 months, it's currently waiting on the exhaust valves to be redone by the machine shop.
1982 KZ 1100
bike1.jpg

Hope to have it running by the end of January. I have always wanted a bike and this is the first one that I've stumbled across that was with in my budget.

Peacoat

Bartender
I took a certification course on a Police Kawasaki 1100 a few years ago. They are still similar in design. A very agile motorcycle, especially at slow speed. We did figure 8s in a 17' by 34' box--compared to 18' by 36' for police Harleys. In fact, in police competition, there will be a separate category for the Kawasakis as they are so much more maneuverable than the other police motors.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the throttle control. We had to keep the RPM at about 1200 for the exercises, which were either lock left or lock right with immediate transitions between the two. There was a very narrow sweet spot on the throttle control. Going into an exercise I would have it at say, 1200, do a locked turn to the right, then a locked turn to the left, and my RPM would vary between 500 (if that was idle speed) to 2500. Most frustrating.

If you haven't had the BRC (basic rider course) by the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation), you need to take it. After a 1000 miles or so, then take the experienced rider course. While there is a lot lacking in the MSF courses, it usually is the only game in town for civilian riders. Ride Safe.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
If you haven't had the BRC (basic rider course) by the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation), you need to take it. After a 1000 miles or so, then take the experienced rider course. While there is a lot lacking in the MSF courses, it usually is the only game in town for civilian riders. Ride Safe.

I haven't looked into it yet but was planning to see about a course. Need to start looking for a good helmet. Any of you folks have any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner