Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Kimberly

Practically Family
doghouse said:
I'm in a great mood now!! I got this wonderful little number for a steal! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
2pcribbon1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270114153915&rd=1&rd=1

That is absolutely stunning!!! I have a suit very similar to it and let me tell you it's an absolute man magnet. ;). It hugs your curves without being overly revealing! I LOVE the color!!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
timorous me said:
I hate to be off-topic, ladies, but miss Daisy, where is this Bobby's you speak of? I'm spending some time in Boston soon and I could use some shopping hints!

Bobby is a vintage dealer in Boston. He has a store in South Boston near the Pine Street Inn and Boston Medical Center. More details can be found in the latest issue of "Classic Style" in the Hot Spots article on Boston. He supplies Hollywood with their vintage clothes, but he also sells to the general public. If you are looking for something in particular and don't find it in the store you can always ask him, he probably has it in his gigantic vintage warehouse.

Kimberly that dress is lovely. I have one very similar to it. I'm gonna have to take a drive to Worcester, check out some of my old stomping grounds from my Clark U. days and definitely check out the vintage shoppe your talking about! The suit you got off the bay is great too!

Bella, that hat is gorgeous, and what an amazing price!! You'll look great in it! By the way, I LOVE your new avatar!! It's great!!

Doghouse that green ribbon dress is stunning! If for some reason you decide you just don't want it anymore, I'd be more than happy to free up some closet space for you and take it off your hands:D I have green eyes that are pretty bright, people are always asking me if they're fake[huh], but they're not. Anyway I think green is a good color for me with my complexion, dark hair and green eyes. But, I can't seem to find too many vintage dresses, suits or sweaters in green, no matter how hard I've looked. It's frustrating to not be able to find things in the color that is best for me:(

CanadaDoll, congrats on the compact. It's very cool!

Daisy Buchanan

ooh, I just checked my ebay and had totally forgotten about two auctions that I had put bids in for. I'm happy to have another pretty summer dress. The first one had a BIN price of $85, but I didn't want to pay that much for it for it seems like others sell for less. So, I took a chance and decided to bid instead. I'm so glad I did because I got it for $49. I know, it's not in the $20 club, but it wasn't $85 either:) I feel like for quite some time I was having trouble finding spring weight dresses in my size. I've come across quite a few recently so I felt like I had to try to get them all, for I never know when I won't be able to find my size again!! Excuses excuses! Ok, I'll just stop making excuses now and admit that I have a problem.

This is black, but the seller lightened the photos to show the details. I don't have too many little black 50's wiggle dresses, I think this one is great! I love the details and the cut. This is yet another auction that stayed low, had no reserve, but in the end the price shot up. I've been placing bids lately that are a bit different than my normal bids. Like if my max bid is $100, I'll put in $102.50. Doing this has made all the difference in the world, I guess because it's an odd number. I figure if I'm gonna spend this kind of money on a dress, a couple more dollars every so often isn't so terrible:( But, this is another dress that I won for only 50 cents under my max bid. I noticed the person who place their bid right before me had put in a max of $100, that's what the price went up to just before my max bid was put in. So, this strategy of adding a few extra random number of dollars and cents seems to be helping a bit. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't give my strategy away. Or then again, you ladies probably already do things like this and I'm just telling you silly information that you already probably know:eek:
e957_1_sbol.JPG

f1b6_1_bol.JPG
e7d4_1_bol.JPG
e4f5_1_bol.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

Oh don't worry Pink, it'll fit!! Not everything is too small for me, yet:p

Thanks Canada Doll:)

LD, you bring up a very good point. I'm not working at the moment, so I'm home all day. I wear my dresses for walks through the neighborhood when it's nice out, and on weekends. But, for the most part since I'm just lounging around the house most of the day, I don't get to wear a lot of my dresses. I'm trying to motivate myself to get out more, especially now that the nice weather is here, so hopefully I'll get some more, actually some at all, use out of them! Let's just say, I want to be prepared just in case I have some place I need to be. Or, possibly one of those things, hmmm what are they called, golly it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to remember for it's been so long.....Oh Yeah! A date!! Just in case I have a date, I want to make sure I have the perfect first date outfit!!:D

decodoll

Practically Family
Lovely dresses as usual, Daisy. Particularly the day dress. :)

I've been cleaning out my closets and packing, so I took some things over to my favourite vintage store today. Got to have quite a little shopping spree without spending a cent! Wish I had pics to post. Got a 40's tilt hat in cream with a purple plaid taffeta ribbon and big bow, a pair of 1940's chocolate brown gabardine trousers, a leather belt to go with said trousers and a 50's rayon blouse.... and still a bit of credit left and a 40's purse on hold (forgot to bring a pair of shoes that I meant to trade in.) Sure was fun!

Daisy and Jitterbug, I sure am looking forward to visiting Bobby's of Boston... I've heard such great things! Please leave something for me, ok!?

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks Decodoll!!
Congrats on your new purchases, and for not spending any cash on them!! Best of luck on your move. I think I remember you mentioning that you are moving to Connecticut?? Well, you won't be far from Boston at all. You can take the train in and come shopping with JBD, Kitty and me!!
I try to visit my sister in NYC too, which isn't far from CT either. You'll have to let us know when you get to the east coast We could meet up in NYC, maybe on a weekend my sister is out of town so we can crash at her place and not worry about paying for a hotel!:) Well, either way, we should definitely meet up. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the east coast, but it's not like the west geographically. All areas in the Northeast from Boston to NYC can be reached in reasonable amounts of time. So, meeting up with people from other areas is quite easy. My door is open for a visit to Boston. Maybe we can convince JBD to desert Hemingway Jones for one night and we can have a girls night in at my place with the girls from New England. Wathc old movies, eat candy and popcorn, try on dresses, do each others nails. A real girls night!! We'll have to think about this once both you and Jitterbug are settled from your big moves. Wow, it's so incredible, just about 6 months ago I was complaining that I didn't have any girlfriends in my area with the same interests as me. Now, I've got two great gals moving out this way and quite a few newer members joining the lounge from the New England area. We'll have to convince LizzieMaine to drive down to the city for a weekend! Ok, maybe I should have started a thread about this in the events section. I definitely will once both of your moves are complete and you both have a chance to settle in:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
my first of several posts.... i took a trip to TX a couple weeks back and hit the jackpot in Austin. here is one 1950s summer dress with a side metal zipper. it has a large shell/fish pattern and pink bric-a-brac trim that i'm not sure is original. i may remove it or i may replace it, as it's very faded. the length is top-of-calf. pics aren't so great, sorry! it's hard taking pics of yourself, and i don't have a dress form :-/ i think this one was about $35.

50s-sundress.jpg

50s-sundress-back.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
another find from Austin - the shop's tag listed it as silk, but it's definitely not. it has no tag inside. the fabric feels kindof like taffeta. grey, with these pretty turquoise, pink and white flowers that look like baby's breath. tie belt, pretty gathered neckline.... the only necklines i've seen like that are from pattern sketches from a 1952 vogue pattern book my mom has. side metal zipper, mid-calf length. the skirt is A-line, with just a little fullness at the bottom. late 1940s/early 50s i'm guessing. around $50, pristine condition!

40sgatheredneck.jpg

40sgatheredneck-close.jpg

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Daisy! That all sounds like great fun! I'll be moving to New London in about a week and a half, but then will be off again for about a week at the beginning of June for the WWII weekend and then to DC for a work conference of the boyfriend's. I think New London is supposed to be about an hour and a half from Boston and about two and a half to New York by train. I've never been to Connecticut... actually the extent of my travels on the east coast is a layover at the JFK airport on the way to the U.K. about 18 years ago! To this Californian it is very bizarre how close all these states are! I will miss San Francisco, but I am very excited about the move none the less, and I'm very happy that you and Jitterbug will be so close! Looking forward to the opportunity to meet KittyT too. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
austin find #3! a 1940s house dress, zipper front, cotton, i just LOVE this print! it has small white piping around the sleeves and pockets. mid-calf length. one thing i've been trying to figure out is the collar - it has button holes in it, right where the white pieces fall (those are diamond shaped metal studs on those white bits). am i correct in assuming that the white pieces are supposed to be threaded through the buttonhole, as shown in the 2nd photo? oh - $28!!!

40shousedress.jpg

40shousedress-collar.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
Thanks, Daisy! That all sounds like great fun! I'll be moving to New London in about a week and a half, but then will be off again for about a week at the beginning of June for the WWII weekend and then to DC for a work conference of the boyfriend's. I think New London is supposed to be about an hour and a half from Boston and about two and a half to New York by train. I've never been to Connecticut... actually the extent of my travels on the east coast is a layover at the JFK airport on the way to the U.K. about 18 years ago! To this Californian it is very bizarre how close all these states are! I will miss San Francisco, but I am very excited about the move none the less, and I'm very happy that you and Jitterbug will be so close! Looking forward to the opportunity to meet KittyT too. :)

nice that you'll be in our neck of the woods! Hopefully you'll be able to make it to the Boston FL meet-up, whenever it happens to get scheduled :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace