Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
Shooshoo you can do it!! I bought this Lilli Ann suit last year and it wasn't anywhere near fitting me. This is me wearing it to church yesterday!

Picture6023a.jpg

I could have worn it alot sooner if I had buckled down with my diet. I started in January and have lost 16 lbs so far. I actually started the diet just because I wanted to eat healthier and the weight loss was an added bonus!

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
i just bought a cute revamp plaid top for 20. I was excited.
I have a question though...ive noticed a lot of names on ebay are a***v etc. just different letters...whats with this? There are soo many! Has anyone else noticed this?

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
Pinup, Ebay has done that for bidder privacy. Every bidder is hidden untill the item has nded and then it will show who the high bidder is. The only bad thing is if someone is shill bidding we will never know!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
I was going to fight for that one. I had saved it but doing taxes and waiting to see if I have to pay. I loosely collect Swirl dresses. I think they are the ultimate in feminine but you really have to watch the measurements. Some are for tall ladies and some not. I guess as with any vintage. :)

oh no, sorry! Well if it turns out to be too short maybe I'll sell it on! :D
I think it'll be ok though. ;)

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
MaryDeluxe said:
ShooShoo..Love that blouse!

I've been very good lately with not spending money on vintage things but today I broke down. lol

I ran across an old antiques place out in the country and down in the basement was vintage clothes! I found a wonderful 50's summer dress...and it goes great with my bolero jacket and belt! Can't wait to wear it when the weather gets warmer. The print is atomic awesome!
2374264901_521bf93535.jpg

I also found this really cool 40's hat but I'm not sure how I feel about it now that I brought it home! Here's the back of it! Very cool but very BIG!
2375073654_9a06dfb60a.jpg

Those are great finds, you look gorgeous. Definately keep the hat.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I was going to fight for that one. I had saved it but doing taxes and waiting to see if I have to pay. I loosely collect Swirl dresses. I think they are the ultimate in feminine but you really have to watch the measurements. Some are for tall ladies and some not. I guess as with any vintage. :)

So I have never heard of these Swirl dresses before, but found an interesting site on them, the history of the company, and how to date them: http://fashionsfinest.fuzzylizzie.com/Swirl.html

One question though - do they really stay closed over your bum? Wrap dresses never seem to stay closed and it seems like unless there was a lot of overlap, though would come open.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
gluegungeisha said:
Wow, I never really thought about how the average height difference back then influenced the modeling industry. Those are all heights with HEELS. That's so interesting!

Do you mind if I share these scans? I'll link back to the forum.

I don't mind at all. I think it says with a 1-2 inch heel. It's brutal too, it states clearly that "There is much truth in the lament, Nobody loves a fat person" Wow how bad does that make you feel. And I whole heartly DISAGREE.

The Shirt

Practically Family
My weird wedding fantasy

dsp_promdresses12-07_008.jpg

So in another thread I describe my loss of senses and ended up purchasing this. I thought if the someday wedding doesn't work out I can offer to take my nephew to prom.

Folly

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:

So in another thread I describe my loss of senses and ended up purchasing this. I thought if the someday wedding doesn't work out I can offer to take my nephew to prom.

That is absolutely stunning! I think I'd wear that anyway, regardless of bride status!

The Shirt

Practically Family
Dress above was quite the deal for $99. Perhaps add some red flowers to the waist and a bolero for a christmas party dress.

Here is another dress I purchased for next week's visit to Viva Las Vegas. Not quite the Hawaiian dress I dreamed about - but it fits perfectly and with a nice wide belt and platforms - I really like it. Has a cute bow detail on the sleeve as well.

468b_1.jpg

Folly

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
Dress above was quite the deal for $99. Perhaps add some red flowers to the waist and a bolero for a christmas party dress.

The desire to add white faux fur or marabou to the hem and to wear it with a velvet cape would probably get the better of me come Christmas time!!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
So I have never heard of these Swirl dresses before, but found an interesting site on them, the history of the company, and how to date them: http://fashionsfinest.fuzzylizzie.com/Swirl.html

One question though - do they really stay closed over your bum? Wrap dresses never seem to stay closed and it seems like unless there was a lot of overlap, though would come open.

Ooh fantastic link. I hadn't ever actually researched them but I'd seem them for sale before and liked the style. Based on that my dress is early 50s then, as it has the huge patch pockets mentioned.

I already have aback wrapping dress, and it does pretty much stay closed. I do like to put a teeny safety pin in sometimes though if it's windy out! lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
Shirt, the dress is gorgeous! But I really think you could wear it as a non-wedding dress too! Then you'd probably jinx yourself again-lol.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:

Oh, that's so pretty! Take the straps off and it reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor's dress in the party scene in A Place in the Sun.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
texasgirl said:
Shirt, the dress is gorgeous! But I really think you could wear it as a non-wedding dress too! Then you'd probably jinx yourself again-lol.

It would look gorgeous dyed in some jewel tone or other :)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Ok I am on a shoe thing this week. So I found these boots for my partisan impression(and they look like a pair I found in the sears reprint from the 40's)
pladyshoes1.jpg

And then for the peice de' resistance! Or more like the pair de resistance!lol
souvenir-black.jpg
But with a green strap.

Samantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou