Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

magneto

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments about my suit :) --Wow, Doghouse, is that an armadillo purse? I've seen a few "baby alligator" ones but they seemed to be delicate and fall apart quickly, your purse looks quite sturdy and in good shape.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
bobber.JPG

This is the first vintage thing I've bought in a while! I have a thing for "novelty" items- these are fishing lure earrings!

And Magneto, LOVE the suit!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Very cute stuff you ladies bought again :)

I bought a bunch of 50s catalogues as I wanna get inspiration for my sewing-classes. If you want I can go ad post some pages as soon as I got them ;)

Coat Catalogue from ´55:

07_1_b.JPG

Fashion Catalogue Fall ´53:

fd_1_b.JPG

More Fall Fashion ´53:

e3_1_b.JPG

Summer Catalogue ´52:

45_1_b.JPG

I tried to get some 40s and late 30s catalogues, too, but those are hard to win on ebay *sigh*

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Sari, those catalogues look great! I would love to see some pages from inside if you wouldn't mind posting.

I know what you mean about the 40's catalogues they can be really highly priced. Having said that I recently saw a 1950 catalogue going for £55.00!!!!:eek: That's about $80.00 I think.

Just as a matter of interest have you seen the Skinner and McCord books that have lots of pics from the Sear's 1940's catalogues in. These are currently in print and there is a set of 3 from the 1940's : Early, Mid and Late.
I have the Mid and Late 40's ones and they are just wonderful!
They are the kind of thing you browse through tucked up in bed just wishing that you could still order all of the goodies inside.

What is your sewing class that you go to? Do you make items of your own choice there?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
AllaboutEve said:
Sari, those catalogues look great! I would love to see some pages from inside if you wouldn't mind posting.

I know what you mean about the 40's catalogues they can be really highly priced. Having said that I recently saw a 1950 catalogue going for £55.00!!!!:eek: That's about $80.00 I think.

Just as a matter of interest have you seen the Skinner and McCord books that have lots of pics from the Sear's 1940's catalogues in. These are currently in print and there is a set of 3 from the 1940's : Early, Mid and Late.
I have the Mid and Late 40's ones and they are just wonderful!
They are the kind of thing you browse through tucked up in bed just wishing that you could still order all of the goodies inside.

What is your sewing class that you go to? Do you make items of your own choice there?

Oh I´d be very interesting to find out more on this books. Where can I order those and what is the title? I think I badly need those!

The sewing class is sort of a mixed up group for starters and experienced people. It´s once a week 3 hours in the evening and I expect to learn a lot there. We choose what we make but got the recommendation to do stuff that is declared as easy for now. I have gotten me a new burda-pattern now and looked trough a Lana Lobell Catalogue what to do with it to make it look 50s and found a cute dress with the same cut that I wanna copy. The course will start in two weeks so I´m super-exited. In the sewing class that I did before to get familiar with the sewing-maschine we all did a pillow to find out about the basics in sewing and how to add a zipper.

I´ll post some pics from the catalogues as soon as I get them or after my vacation (me and my sweetheart go and visit my Mom next Saturday for a week)

Hugs,
Sari

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
Oh I´d be very interesting to find out more on this books. Where can I order those and what is the title? I think I badly need those!

The sewing class is sort of a mixed up group for starters and experienced people. It´s once a week 3 hours in the evening and I expect to learn a lot there. We choose what we make but got the recommendation to do stuff that is declared as easy for now. I have gotten me a new burda-pattern now and looked trough a Lana Lobell Catalogue what to do with it to make it look 50s and found a cute dress with the same cut that I wanna copy. The course will start in two weeks so I´m super-exited. In the sewing class that I did before to get familiar with the sewing-maschine we all did a pillow to find out about the basics in sewing and how to add a zipper.

I´ll post some pics from the catalogues as soon as I get them or after my vacation (me and my sweetheart go and visit my Mom next Saturday for a week)

Hugs,
Sari

Sounds like a good class Sari, I could really do with cracking some of my problem areas in sewing with going to a regular class like the one you mention.
You'll have to keep us posted on what you make.
I have found the books I mentioned on Amazon, they really are great:
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-Collectors/dp/0764317555/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_1/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-Collectors/dp/0764318586/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_1/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-1940s/dp/0764319558/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_2/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8

Ps...What's a Lana Lobell catalogue????:)

Don't forget these

These are also on Amazon and a little less expensive. I have the 1940's one and just love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Fashions-Forties-Pictured-Catalogs/dp/0486269183/ref=pd_sim_b_2/102-2380864-5719319?ie=UTF8

AllaboutEve said:
Sounds like a good class Sari, I could really do with cracking some of my problem areas in sewing with going to a regular class like the one you mention.
You'll have to keep us posted on what you make.
I have found the books I mentioned on Amazon, they really are great:
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-Collectors/dp/0764317555/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_1/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-Collectors/dp/0764318586/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_1/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Clothing-Sears-Catalogs-1940s/dp/0764319558/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_2/002-4402648-9429619?ie=UTF8

Ps...What's a Lana Lobell catalogue????:)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Great!!! I got to go and order those when I get my next payment. they look like they are what I´m watching out for :)

I´ll keep you posted on the stuff I do. I´ll use them for my photo-shoots and put them in "Show us what you made" ;)

The Lana Lobell catalogue is a american catalogue from the 50s that I got at a 50s market one year ago. IT has tons of cute and inspiring dresses. I might post pages of it along with my other catalogue stuff.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Does anyone know if the "Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs" and the "Everydays Fashion" books feature the same dresses and pictures or hve different pictures in them? I got me the "Everyday Fashion" ones from the 30s to 50s now cause they are really cheaper, but if the other books feature other clothes I wanna get those, too. Anyone having both?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I can wear Jeans again!

Leave it to Ralph Lauren to keep in time with their classic line of clothes.

These are new 100% cotton jeans I got at Macy's.

sailorjeans.jpg

darkstripejeans.jpg

They sit AT a lady's natural waste and feel oh so nice. Plus they have none of that awful sand blasting on their legs. Yay! Pair with a nice white blouse, and my cute double breasted pea coat, and Im good ta go!

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Leave it to Ralph Lauren to keep in time with their classic line of clothes.

These are new 100% cotton jeans I got at Macy's.

Hurray! So glad you found some nice classic jeans (and so happy that they're actually being sold again!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou