Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Sunny

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Sunny, that set is simply divine! You always have the cutest stuff.
Aww, you're so sweet! I must admit, though, that I don't usually bother to post the stuff I get that doesn't work. Like the two lots of 18 skirts I got for less than $30. All those skirts, and I don't really like any of them much, and I'd be happy to just ship them off again! lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've been looking for a stocking case for a while and at last I found one. Marbled leather with the original darning thread still enclosed!

MHXBHKL72AHG.jpg

CY5W6JZSVBFZ.jpg

Mary

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
They are for keeping your stockings in your drawers, so they don't get snagged on anything.

It looked to good to just be put in a drawer, so I couldn't figure it out! lol Thanks!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
e581_2.JPG
b260_2.JPG

just recived thease, i'm going to make the jacket first, with a red wool fabric and black velvet for the collar and cuffs.
any sugesstions for the dress ? [huh]

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Since I've started sewing I've developped a facination with vintage sewing machines. I was looking online for a long time and then I discovered garage sales and thrift stores.

Here is the first vintage sewing machine I bought. It is a Singer 217 (60s or 70s, not sure.) It came with all parts, all feet, instructions manual....just a tin, FULL of stuff to go with the machine. I also got some shuttle bobbins for older, vibrating shuttle models. It was very well looked after and is like new. I paid $CAD40 for the whole thing. It was a chance encounter at a garage sale; I had gone for a walk, and from a distance I saw the garage sale. I NEVER go to garage sales, and this time I thought I'd go check it out. And there was the sewing machine....it was love at first sight. Originally, the machine was missing it's bobbin. And while I walked home to get the car, the lady had found the tin full of stuff and the bobbin for the machine....I felt like I had won the lottery.
DSC01147.jpg

DSC00815.jpg
DSC00816.jpg
DSC00817.jpg

DSC00818.jpg
DSC00819.jpg
DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

Here is the second machine I bought. It is a Singer Spartan 192K. It's complete and it works but I don't have a manual or anything. It has a drop-in bobbin. I'm trying to figure out how to thread it. I was cleaning the machine yesterday and it's official, the last person to own this was a smoker. The table it's mounted on is in great shape. I bought it at Value Village for $CAD14.99. I actually bought it on my second visit. I saw it earlier in the week, and decided not to get it. The next day, I was rolling up some change and realized I had enough DIMES to buy the machine and that must be a sign. So we went back.
sewing007.jpg

The Value Village in my town ALMOST ALWAYS has an awesome, super cheap, alright condition, vintage sewing machine. It's a wonder I don't have them all over my house.

swinggal

One Too Many
I am so excited! Been looking for one of these for ages!!! Got it on ebay. It's an original 1924 Electric Marcel hair Waver! Can't wait to try it...even if it fries my hair :)

I think modern 3 pronged wavers make the mistake of the barrels being too fat for the finger waves we want to replicate from the 20s and 30s. All of the Marcel Stovetop tongs and early electric curlers are very small pronged for a tighter wave that eventually relaxes I guess.

DSC06416.jpg

DSC06417.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
I am so excited! Been looking for one of these for ages!!! Got it on ebay. It's an original 1924 Electric Marcel hair Waver! Can't wait to try it...even if it fries my hair :)

DSC06417.jpg

I've been looking at one on Ebay but was hesitant to bid. I'm afraid that the electrical cord will be too old and I'll get a shock if I try to use it. :eek:
Let me know if you have any trouble with yours. It looks to be in good shape. I hope it works.....I love the fingerwave look.

swinggal

One Too Many
I'm not too worried about the cord being old. If it's ratty I will get my sparky friend to replace it for me. You can get the same insulated cord with the vintage style material cover here from home renovating suppliers :) They aren't hard to rewire totally if need be either.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MarieAnne said:
Since I've started sewing I've developped a facination with vintage sewing machines. I was looking online for a long time and then I discovered garage sales and thrift stores.

Here is the first vintage sewing machine I bought. It is a Singer 217 (60s or 70s, not sure.) It came with all parts, all feet, instructions manual....just a tin, FULL of stuff to go with the machine. I also got some shuttle bobbins for older, vibrating shuttle models. It was very well looked after and is like new. I paid $CAD40 for the whole thing. It was a chance encounter at a garage sale; I had gone for a walk, and from a distance I saw the garage sale. I NEVER go to garage sales, and this time I thought I'd go check it out. And there was the sewing machine....it was love at first sight. Originally, the machine was missing it's bobbin. And while I walked home to get the car, the lady had found the tin full of stuff and the bobbin for the machine....I felt like I had won the lottery.
DSC01147.jpg

DSC00815.jpg
DSC00816.jpg
DSC00817.jpg

DSC00818.jpg
DSC00819.jpg
DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

Here is the second machine I bought. It is a Singer Spartan 192K. It's complete and it works but I don't have a manual or anything. It has a drop-in bobbin. I'm trying to figure out how to thread it. I was cleaning the machine yesterday and it's official, the last person to own this was a smoker. The table it's mounted on is in great shape. I bought it at Value Village for $CAD14.99. I actually bought it on my second visit. I saw it earlier in the week, and decided not to get it. The next day, I was rolling up some change and realized I had enough DIMES to buy the machine and that must be a sign. So we went back.
sewing007.jpg

The Value Village in my town ALMOST ALWAYS has an awesome, super cheap, alright condition, vintage sewing machine. It's a wonder I don't have them all over my house.
Wow, you have a ruffler... and maybe also a picot edger? How wonderful!
You really need those attachments to make the clothes look right. I am envious.
My first big purchase for my frivolous self (after getting out of the unemployed hole, a few months) will be a ruffler. I want one bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner