Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Restorations

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I love fixing old things up. Here are photographs of two Paint By Number oils that were given to my family as Christmas gifts around 1955. There are two others I am looking for buried somewhere in a pile of stuff I have. These two were in poor repair, with a film of dirt, and ratty old frames. I cleaned them (with baked bread dough - soft - as the internet pages recommended), sprayed them with a coat of special preservative, and put them in new frames. They now hang in my home. The first comment that was made by someone upon seeing them was, "Oh, how elegant." The pictures here don't really do them justice.

FWIW there is an art aficionado in NYC with thousands of these Paint By Numbers covering the walls of his brownstone in the city. They are all recovered, cared for, and beautifully framed. He collects them from everywhere because he believes they are a fine example of Americana. I saw him on a PBS program and that's where I got the idea.

Frame1.jpg

Frame2.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I also like restoring things. So far, that has included two vintage Singer sewing machines, numerous antique fountain pens and other vintage nick-nacks. Cannot post pix right now, but will do at the end of my holiday.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those paintings are actually quite nice. It's a step above most paint-by-numbers that I've seen.

image.jpg

This is a Royal KHM circa 1930. It was very dirty when I bought it from Craigslist. I gave it a thorough cleaning, detailed the keys, new ribbon, cleaned the platen, twisted a key, and brought up the shine with Turtle Wax. I love this machine. It is a nimble typer!

DNO

One Too Many
Nowhere near as complicated as restoring a typewriter but I always enjoy reviving phones. Here's a before and after of my manual (i.e. no dial) 1948 Northern Electric Uniphone No. 1.

Looking a little tired, but it had all matching dates and original wires.

And after the application of cleaner and elbow grease. A lovely bakelite phone back up and running.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not a full on restoration, since I wanted to keep the patina. My 1930 Harley V. I did some rewiring, a vintage looking electronic regulator, and modern 6v battery. I am going to rebuild the carb this weekend, developed some problems over the winter. Also, going to see if I can get the front brake working a little better, right now, it is nothing more then a heat generator!
HarleyV1.jpg
HarleyV2.jpg
HarleyV3_zpsf58dea7b.jpg

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Nice old "flatty", Stearmen!
I've heard good things about longitudinally wound brake cables for old drum brakes. Basically, the outer cable is built with the structure running the length of the cable, rather than coiled in the traditional manner, so it compresses less and more of your energy goes to operating the brake. Same principal as using braided stainless lines to replace stock rubber ones on hydraulic systems. I'm going to try one on my '62 Norton.

B

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nice old "flatty", Stearmen!
I've heard good things about longitudinally wound brake cables for old drum brakes. Basically, the outer cable is built with the structure running the length of the cable, rather than coiled in the traditional manner, so it compresses less and more of your energy goes to operating the brake. Same principal as using braided stainless lines to replace stock rubber ones on hydraulic systems. I'm going to try one on my '62 Norton.

B

Yes, I have heard that also. The first thing I need to do, is simply, look inside and see if there is any shoe left. Yes, I broke the first Commandment, though shalt check safety items first! I got to excited. At least it runs, that is a relief. The Indian boys have it easy, their brake is on the right side, so simply slap a 69-70 Triumph BSA 2ls on, and modern stopping at their fingertips! If I could just find some early Honda CB450 40 spoke 2ls brakes.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
We're getting into the start of spring swap-meet season. I'll keep my eyes open for CB450 stuff. Our largest local swap is on Fathers Day weekend, might have some luck there.
If you like, you can PM me an email address and I'll email pictures if I find anything.

B

Yes, I have heard that also. The first thing I need to do, is simply, look inside and see if there is any shoe left. Yes, I broke the first Commandment, though shalt check safety items first! I got to excited. At least it runs, that is a relief. The Indian boys have it easy, their brake is on the right side, so simply slap a 69-70 Triumph BSA 2ls on, and modern stopping at their fingertips! If I could just find some early Honda CB450 40 spoke 2ls brakes.

Not a full on restoration, since I wanted to keep the patina. My 1930 Harley V. I did some rewiring, a vintage looking electronic regulator, and modern 6v battery. I am going to rebuild the carb this weekend, developed some problems over the winter. Also, going to see if I can get the front brake working a little better, right now, it is nothing more then a heat generator!
HarleyV1.jpg
HarleyV2.jpg
HarleyV3_zpsf58dea7b.jpg

When you're done, bring it out here so I can test ride it. :p You can ride my BSA Bantam :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
:p You know you have to kick start the Bantam.....:p

One of our club members, Team Carpe Diem, set three world records on his Bantam at Bonneville, back in 2010! If I remember correctly, his fastest, was a blistering 41mph. I asked him if he had time to do his taxes on the run?

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a few shots of a Ofrex 'ROBUST' stapler that I found recently that I've now cleaned/ polished up...I had to buff a couple of fairly deep scratches out of the handle/knob that you press to operate the stapler, gave it a light oil too and it works like a dream;

sg0378.jpg
207qbdc.jpg

xky4bk.jpg
xbeoph.jpg

2h71myv.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
Here's a few shots of a Ofrex 'ROBUST' stapler that I found recently that I've now cleaned/ polished up...I had to buff a couple of fairly deep scratches out of the handle/knob that you press to operate the stapler, gave it a light oil too and it works like a dream;

Nice job! Older office equipment always seems much sturdier and much more serious than the new stuff.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I would say, that stapler company, does not have to worry about false advertising when it comes to the name of their product!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland