Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

The Shooman

Practically Family

Used Kenneth Cole pair in black:

KennethCole.jpg
Nice to see some old Kenneth Cole. Still very cheaply made...look at the cracked sole.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Bless the ‘Vintage Fashion Expo’!

These vintage shoes will do for my plus-fours. Found the footwear this Saturday at the ‘Vintage Fashion Expo’ in Santa Monica. Manufacturer’s name is long-gone, and they’re slightly dry – but a good dose of conditioning and polishing will take care of that.

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

Next on the list. Here are some British ‘plus-fours’ socks from 1927. This is the look I’m going for.

285449580_o.jpg

My friend Ben has graciously agreed to sell me his deadstock vintage 1920s ‘plus-fours’ socks, woven in Scotland for “Alexander & Oviatt”. Note the rounded calf:

l_931b83b765aa4339bed63984c20ee317.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Bless the ‘Vintage Fashion Expo’!

These vintage shoes will do for my plus-fours. Found the footwear this Saturday at the ‘Vintage Fashion Expo’ in Santa Monica. Manufacturer’s name is long-gone, and they’re slightly dry – but a good dose of conditioning and polishing will take care of that.

IMG_4745.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

Next on the list. Here are some British ‘plus-fours’ socks from 1927. This is the look I’m going for.

285449580_o.jpg

My friend Ben has graciously agreed to sell me his deadstock vintage 1920s ‘plus-fours’ socks, woven in Scotland for “Alexander & Oviatt”. Note the rounded calf:

l_931b83b765aa4339bed63984c20ee317.jpg

LUCKY!!! That California Vintage Fashion Expo looks fabulous, Great grab. I would guess Thom McAn, as I have seen 2 other similar pairs made by them (both size 7 or under, of course).

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for a men's shoe design that's practically impossible to find, new or vintage: the classic 1920s-'40s 'moccasin' golf shoe. It was a hugely popular style for men's and women's golf shoes for decades, but IMO the best-looking version looked EXACTLY like this:

KGrHqZjYE651HfCeDBO7oyDIJiw60_32.jpg

KGrHqUOKpwE4keSRelBBOJes6P3uw0_3.jpg

KGrHqZlIE3N5SKsiBOJetC5uRQ0_3.jpg

Except for the Crockett & Jones model made for Polo Ralph Lauren (in the photos above), there seems to be no size 9 shoe on the bargain market --anywhere-- that precisely duplicates the classic moccasin golf shoe of the '20s-'40s. It's relatively easy to find vintage ladies' ones -- but a men's version, new or vintage, in a size 9? No dice so far.

What I really, really want is this exact shoe (and I do mean "exact"), in a size 9D, but all brown. I've never seen a better-looking style to wear with plus-fours (knickers). Any leads?

what about these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/150751970271?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

SteveAS

Practically Family
I was pleasantly surprised these old Edwin Clapps went so cheap. They arrived, they show only shop wear, they fit, and I'll be treating them with Pecard's before I wear them, but I love their style.

$(KGrHqRHJC4E8fTdJNTtBPJFSdwnFg~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJDQE8f,TBzQCBPJFS0oVsg~~60_3.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I was pleasantly surprised these old Edwin Clapps went so cheap.

They're great shoes, but I'm not surprised that they went cheap: the seller failed to put the word "vintage" in either the title or the description, and he/she didn't insert the auction in this category: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories >Vintage >Men's Vintage Shoes >Dress Shoes

Result? Unless a potential bidder were searching specifically for "Edwin Clapp", he/she would have a hell of time finding this particular auction.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind word, Marc, AC, and Issh!

They look to be made of Kangaroo skin... meaning they are as tough (and lightweight) as can get! Congrats

As a vintage shoe novice, that hadn't occurred to me, but I think you must be right because it's unusual leather. In particular, the leather is very thin and soft. Also, as you can see in the pictures, it's susceptible to micro wrinkles, which quickly vanish when the leather is under tension.

They're great shoes, but I'm not surprised that they went cheap: the seller failed to put the word "vintage" in either the title or the description, and he/she didn't insert the auction in this category: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories >Vintage >Men's Vintage Shoes >Dress Shoes

Result? Unless a potential bidder were searching specifically for "Edwin Clapp", he/she would have a hell of time finding this particular auction.

That makes sense, Marc. As it happens, as you suggested, I searched for "Edwin Clapp," which is how I found them. I didn't even notice that they weren't listed in the natural category.

Thanks for the kind word, Marc, AC, and Issh!

As a vintage shoe novice, that hadn't occurred to me, but I think you must be right because it's unusual leather. In particular, the leather is very thin and soft. Also, as you can see in the pictures, it's susceptible to micro wrinkles, which quickly vanish when the leather is under tension.

That makes sense, Marc. As it happens, as you suggested, I searched for "Edwin Clapp," which is how I found them. I didn't even notice that they weren't listed in the natural category.

You can even get the shoe trees to match:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ede...134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b4c580ce
:D

SteveAS

Practically Family
Update on the Clapps: I just noticed that what seems to be the original box seems to indicate that the shoes are kid (which I take to be goat). Any idea what Blu-Ox or C. Combine means? I'm guessing C. Combine, which is also marked on the footbed is a model designation?

2012-02-06_13-40-00_222.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Update on the Clapps: I just noticed that what seems to be the original box seems to indicate that the shoes are kid (which I take to be goat). Any idea what Blu-Ox or C. Combine means? I'm guessing C. Combine, which is also marked on the footbed is a model designation?

2012-02-06_13-40-00_222.jpg

Blu-Ox is almost surely the model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925