Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
WARNING!!! This Post Is NOT Politically Correct. Please save MOST of the "that's just wrong" commentary, as it's already been beaten to death. I respect the endangered species act, and if they weren't so freaking old, I would NOT be wearing them.
I don't think the disclaimer is necessary here on the Lounge.;)

Anyway, beautiful shoes! Who is the Maker?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I don't think the disclaimer is necessary here on the Lounge.;)

Thanks, friend. I just wanted to be sure. Don't want a PETA assassination team to come after me.

Anyway, beautiful shoes! Who is the Maker?

No marks whatsoever except for the size stamp, 9C. The footbed is covered in turtle as well. I have a feeling they were a custom job some time ago.

Take Care!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Probably not even anything to write home about, but I ended up buying these Bostonian brand shoes that were on sale at the Nordstrom Rack:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/bostonian+ipswich+flexlite+leather+oxford?prodId=198992

They're nowhere near as stylish as many of the shoes depicted here, but I was looking for something minimalist and conservative, anyway. Something fancier and with more style could come later. I would rather have purchased a more rounded-toe pair of shoes, but square-toes were the majority of shoes my size, and the way these are shaped don't look too extreme. I think they actually look pretty good as far as square-toed shoes are concerned.

P.S. Not sure if this thread was specifically meant for vintage, or if modern shoes are OK too. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to post something real nice in the not-too-distant future!

Mr. Fancypants

New in Town
They're not vintage, I think they look great though.

2m2cdh2.jpg

wiagw.jpg

motorpsycho67

Familiar Face
If you have any advice for a novice like myself, what would be your recommended budget for buying shoes, and which brands are the most well regarded? I'm not entirely sure about buying vintage shoes, in other words shoes that once belonged to somebody else, so I may only wear new products...

Depends on what style of shoe strikes your fancy.

I'm a longwing kinda guy myself, the heavier the better. I've got a few pairs of vintage Florsheim Imperials, one of them being deadstock, and a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeils (not nearly as good as Florsheims IMO), a pair of Dexter spectators that I dyed myself and an ugly pair of Hanovers. IMO, vintage Florsheims are the pinnacle of wingtipdom. The only new longwings I'd ever wear would be the shell cordovan Aldens. They're a bit pricey though.

I'd love to have a nice pair of captoes, but have yet to find a pair I like. (I don't care for the bals, which seem to be the most common. Too dainty for me). Those spade sole caps above are pretty damn cool though.

As far as budget, you're on your own. Everyone's is different. I scored my deadstock Florsheims for $100, which is a steal. That's the most I've spent on dress shoes.

Don't bother with new Florsheims. They're junk IMO.

Dan'l

Practically Family
There's always some very nice shoes in this thread.

Although not vintage, I bought a pair of Florsheim's saddle shoes for the warm weather months.

P4170018.jpg

P4170021.jpg

Mr. Fancypants

New in Town
What's the differene between spectators and saddle? I've been wondering about that and have yet to find the answer.

Spectators are usually wingtips, but some will have capped toes

Peal+%26+Co.+Spectators.jpg

Whereas Saddle shoes are always plain toed

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
There's always some very nice shoes in this thread.
Although not vintage, I bought a pair of Florsheim's saddle shoes for the warm weather months.
P4170021.jpg

Nice, friend! I LOVE the saddle. Our friend "Cookie" (I'm not sure if I'm comfortable calling you that) turned me onto these...

Vintage AE Tulane Shark & leather saddle shoes. I usually find shark skin shoes VERY hard to wear (although I have somewhat wild tastes), but I think the strip of leather in the saddles balances the shark...

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

PS: Someone PLEASE tell me why this yellow & black color for shark shoes was so popular.
I mostly see this & black. However, shark skin (at least on the shark) is gray. I assume the skin is dyed to the yellow & black.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm not a big fan of saddle shoes but I really like those. I can't remember ever seeing exotic saddles.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a big fan of saddle shoes but I really like those. I can't remember ever seeing exotic saddles.

I was stupid enough not to be a pair of Tulanes in a different combination years ago. One of the great AEs. Those one you got are fab and appear on the centipede website...the greatest photo collection of vintage shoes ever.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore