Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
These Hartts have an older logo than I've run across before. The gold has rubbed away, so its difficult to photograph.
IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
These Hartts have an older logo than I've run across before. The gold has rubbed away, so its difficult to photograph.
IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

The Hartts are real vintage probably early 50s...IMO the others are pretty old as well unless that construction is from an old style factory. The nailing on the Gales is somewhat like Florsheim gunboats - but smaller less obvious instep nails - and is enhanced by closed channelling. Tuff mothers...

Last edited:

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Nice finds, Dinerman! When you're not using your time machine, please let me borrow it to check out the Nettleton factory of yesteryear. I recently saw some pics of some Crocs that I'd love to have at 1950's market price.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Dinerman is spot-on when it comes to turning up great shoes. If you can make it there from MD, Dinerman, I ought to be able to troll Canada from PA. Sorry, it's just jealousy.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
These have seen a lot of use throughout their lives. They look a lot like WW2 U.S. Army service shoes in black. Don't know the brand, everything is either too worn or too faded to read.

serviceshoes001.jpg

serviceshoes002.jpg

serviceshoes003.jpg

Wish they were my size!
serviceshoes004.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
WWII is far from my field...as are boots in general...but these look like a dress boot to me, given the cap toes and laces hooks. Did they use those in the Army at that time?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
WWII is far from my field...as are boots in general...but these look like a dress boot to me, given the cap toes and laces hooks. Did they use those in the Army at that time?

During the Korean War the U.S. Army used black jump boots in the field but I don't know of any black service shoes/ankle boots. Those were all brown during WW2.

These do appear to be civilian with the hooks and the slightly more ornate styling. As for whether they're for dress or work, I really don't know. I too am leaning more towards dress.

They are, however, very similar in general style to the WW2 service shoe like the ones below (which are a pair of ultra rare British-made U.S. Army service shoes with hobnails along with ankle cuffs added later in the war):
rareDBlarge.jpg

Here's a better view of regular U.S.- made service shoes:
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

This style of service shoe/ankle boot (toe cap, ankle height, etc.) seemed to have been fairly common both on the battlefield and off.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Today was half price shoes day at my usual thrift shop- so I grabbed a couple pairs that have been looking at me since early April and that, for one reason or another, I didn't buy until now.

The Crockett and Jones shoes when I got them were dry, didn't look like they'd ever been polished and someone had replaced the laces with enormous tennis shoe ones. I didn't think much of their quality the past couple times I've picked them up and looked at them, but after conditioning and polishing, I realize it was just the shape they were in.

IMG_3133-1.jpg

IMG_3136-1.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

This pair of brown wingtips doesn't have any makers mark on them. Nice leather, and interestingly, a steel toe, for the well-dressed foreman, I suppose."New" heels and replaced soles. Look at all the double-stitched seams. I swear, all these old Canadian makers made bulletproof, bombproof, thoroughly built shoes.
IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3143-1.jpg

IMG_3146-1.jpg

A pair of Hartts. Nailed soles, as on most Hartts, with a Biltrite half sole overtop.
IMG_3147-1.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
Actually it's just an insane 1950's Cuban Alligator bag... complete with whole Alligator. Pretty nuts. My kids LOVE it!

Happy 4th to all!

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Reminds me of the time, in the wilds of Southern Illinois, Pounds Hollow perhaps, that I was locked in a struggle to the death with a vicious two-footer like that incredible beast shown above. Hell, may have been the same man-eater! Rolling around, first him on top--then me. The battle seemed interminable. Just when I thought I could go no more, the sweet refains of a lullaby echoed through the cypress swamp, the beast rolled over and fell asleep. I donned my pith helmet, had my porters drag the creature from the primordial slime, and returned to my Hendricks and cucumber. Good to see my subdued quarry has come to a fitting end.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Anyone know anything about Handmade ChurchSport Boots? I have a pair, which I assume has some association with Church's. (ignore the laces). They seem like really well made boots--not that I'm a boot expert. Thanks for any information.
t6qe79.jpg

2ylsbc8.jpg

70jh3n.jpg

2n04pbm.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
Okay, how about these? They are Pinehurst shoes (read faintly on the insole, and on the heel as well). They were also VERY picky in the quality-control department. They are stamped "REJECT" in huge letters on the soles, and I can't find anything wrong with them. The seller was very fair with me because of the reject issue, but I have no idea why they were rejected. Aside from that, has anyone ever heard of Pinehurst? I can't find anything on them.
riat8m.jpg

nef6m9.jpg

2u9okte.jpg

2zxxqj7.jpg

t0sw3q.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou