Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Purchased three vtg suits, late 40s early 50s on the bay last week and just had them cleaned.
This one dates to 1949. Single breasted two button w/ patch pockets.
DSC03581.jpg

DSC03580.jpg

This one is also from 1949. Single breasted two button.
DSC03572.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

DSC03579.jpg

And this is my favorite. Double breasted three piece in almost mint condition!
DSC03593.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03589.jpg

Fabric still looks very nice.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
That db is more or less my dream suit. I suggest undoing the bottom waistcoat button, it appears to be pulling.

Same here. Those are a once in a lifetime find I imagine (jealous much?)

It is traditional to leave the bottom button undone on a waistcoat. I fancy they are cut so as to have the bottom undone, hence the pulling in the pic (?)

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
That db is more or less my dream suit. I suggest undoing the bottom waistcoat button, it appears to be pulling.
Thanks Nick. I don't know if I am mistaken, but if you look at both pics the bottom button is undone. Only the top one is buttoned. If you are pointing at something else, please let me know cause I do value everyones opinion.
Thx.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It's traditional to undo the bottom button of a waistcoat (a fashion set by His Majesty, King Edward VII), but I think with a five-button waistcoat such as that one, I would keep all the buttons done up. If it was a waistcoat with more buttons (Six, seven or eight buttons, for example), then I would undo the bottom one. But with so few buttons, it just doesn't seem...right.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Picked up a bit of an oddball suit at the thrift shop today. Greek. Heavy wool, lots of hand stitching and nice detailing. 3 inside pockets- the 2 breast pockets are high up right by the armpits- one lower one. Short skirt length. Fully lined with heavy silk, short vent. Pants have only one back pocket and a flapped watch pocket. Button fly, ticking lined. No cuffs.

What do you think as far as the dating?

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
...but I think with a five-button waistcoat such as that one, I would keep all the buttons done up. If it was a waistcoat with more buttons (Six, seven or eight buttons, for example), then I would undo the bottom one. But with so few buttons, it just doesn't seem...right.

It's not the number of buttons, it's whether or not the bottom button is tailored to be left open. Charity shops are full of black dress waistcoats with five buttons, four to button. 6 buttons is certainly more common than 5, but the 5 closing with 4 is certainly acceptable.

Qirrel

Practically Family
Machine padding was common, probably right from the start of the 1900s and even earlier. The zig-zag stitch machine wasn't invented until the late 19th century and was only used for industrial sewing. The usual practice when machine padding would be to use a straight stitch as that would have been the only machine available to smaller tailoring operations well into the 20th century. I would be surprised if the suit was prior to 1930. Based on styling I would say 40s or 50s.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Just got this suit back from the cleaners. Found it on the bay. I still need to take in a little bit the sleeves and on the pants let out the waist. Does the coat look a little too long or is it ok?

Gray2.jpg

GraySuit.jpg

DSC03609.jpg

I like how the suspender buttons are on the outside.
DSC03608.jpg

DSC03607.jpg

There were several stains on the suit and the cleaners almost got them all out. But on a couple of areas you can still see light orangey marks. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner