Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Just sold this one to another Lounger. Sadly, it didn't fit me.

DSCF5790-1.jpg

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Platten said:
First: Greatings from Germany (it´s my first day here)
Second: I have to apologyze for the bad quality of the pictures.

2391854.jpg

(This one is with my old glasses)

2391856.jpg

2391858.jpg

2391859.jpg

2391860.jpg

2391861.jpg

Great pics Platten, love the greyscale, they really turned out wonderful.

thanks!

I hoestly had the suit for years thinking it was much newer, it wasn't till I decided on doing the pics and was looking it over and starching the lapels that I seen the name and date tag. 10 0f 39, holy crow!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

A brilliant, wonderful suit, and it looks great on you! :eusa_clap

I'm very glad that you got it :)

Fletch said:
Kingsridge blue woven-stripe 3pc, ca. mid 1940s, purchased from thunderw21.
3817373023_d15afd3026_b.jpg

This one needs some easement in the jacket and a new back for the vest to make it fit, but even as is, it's one of the best in the bunch.
3817372911_fdbcb4a5c0.jpg

The fabric is a midweight, hard-finished cheviot, similar in hand to gabardine but without the obvious twilling.
3818218300_3c2a1e05d6.jpg
3817430325_7c5b568b35_m.jpg

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Marcus said:
The suit and the gal are mine...not the car

Good choice on both accounts!

For me it's the other way round, I got the gal and the car and am currently shopping for some 50s suits. Actually quite difficult to find something as vintage shop owners usually try to sell 'Elvis & Marilyn stuff' plus huge pink petticoats (to my wife, not to me!) when one asks for 50s clothing...

Here are two suits which I bought recently. Based on their labels I believe they are not originally from the 1950s though. The grey one should be more or less OK I believe, with the brown one I am not sure if this colour was worn in the late 50s? I liked it though and it fitted relatively well, with only minor alterations, so I bought it anyway (hoping not to run around too 80'ish)...

Grey - combined with a light green shirt and green silk tie:
grey_suit.jpg

Brown:
brown_suit.jpg

Hats are still missing, I am thinking of a grey and brown Fedora respectively.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sapphire said:
Here are two suits which I bought recently. Based on their labels I believe they are not originally from the 1950s though. The grey one should be more or less OK I believe, with the brown one I am not sure if this colour was worn in the late 50s? I liked it though and it fitted relatively well, with only minor alterations, so I bought it anyway (hoping not to run around too 80'ish)...

grey_suit.jpg

Brown:
brown_suit.jpg

The brown jacket is much more interesting and -- from what I can tell, at least -- more likely to be older. The gray with pin stripes could just as well be from the 1980s, but there are still plenty of things you can wear that with and look good. The brown has a most interesting color and seems very promising.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
The brown jacket is much more interesting and -- from what I can tell, at least -- more likely to be older. The gray with pin stripes could just as well be from the 1980s, but there are still plenty of things you can wear that with and look good. The brown has a most interesting color and seems very promising.

I agree with Doran; the brown jacket has potentials. Is that a light blue window pane pattern I see there? What labels are inside (if any)?

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
I agree with Doran; the brown jacket has potentials. Is that a light blue window pane pattern I see there? What labels are inside (if any)?

Glad you guys like it as much as I do. The only labels inside are a relatively modern "pure new wool" label in German, English and French as well as the symbols re cleaning etc, which afaik only exist since 1975 or so.

Here's a closeup of the fabric, it has a pattern of brown, green, blue, yellow and red in it.
brown_suit_detail.jpg

And here two combination possibilities with vintage Trevira ties, the pocket square still has room for improvement:
brown_suit_tie1.jpg

and
brown_suit_tie2.jpg

The suit might actually even be from the early 1990s, but as long as I can wear it as something close to a late 50s jacket it will be OK. Anyway, my wife got such nice dresses last weekend that noone will take a closer look at me anyway when we are together ;)

RobStC

A-List Customer
Sapphire said:
Good choice on both accounts!

For me it's the other way round, I got the gal and the car and am currently shopping for some 50s suits. Actually quite difficult to find something as vintage shop owners usually try to sell 'Elvis & Marilyn stuff' plus huge pink petticoats (to my wife, not to me!) when one asks for 50s clothing...

grey_suit.jpg

Brown:
brown_suit.jpg

IMHO the brown has a lot of potential to look great. Looks like a nice fabric, with its open texture and all the colour within it. Brown can often be a really hard colour to get to work, and is very skin/hair tone sensitive, but when it does work I think it can be very striking and distinguished. Good luck with it!

RobStC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24