Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
No photographs yet, but I recently purchased a pair (though not identical) of sandalwood folding fans.

I can see now why people love sandalwood. It smells so wonderful.

The fans are very light and beautifully decorated. They open and shut extremely smoothly. A flick of the wrist in either direction does the trick. They cost me $10 for the pair.

wahine

Practically Family
Sounds wonderful! My grandma always had a sandalwood fan. When I visited her in her summer house and wanted to examine the fan, she always told me to be very careful with it and that I should smell it. I felt special that I was allowed to open it, smell it and fan a bit of air to my face. Using a wooden fan nowadays - which I do a lot in summer - always makes me think of this sweet childhood memory.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I bought one of the fans from a dedicated shop in Singapore. It was selling fans and chopsticks. The really fancy types. Carved wood, or porcelain chopsticks, and really really intricately-made sandalwood fans. Some of them were HUGE, and more for decoration, but their smaller, everyday-use fans were really quite reasonable.

The other fan, I purchased from an antiques dealer at the Melbourne Pen Show last week.

Craigslist find:

1460209_10152020165509330_1236062405_n.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I found first editions of Churchill's six volumes on WII. Not bad for $6.

Fantastic deal and one of the best history series written.

I must confess, I only have the Kindle version, but I do have a very nice print edition of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples. Another classic.

She was a little old widow. I'll be going back, too. She told me if I want any cars, to come back. She had at least 20 classic cars, half of which were vintage Cadillacs. She also said she's going to dig up an old Falstaff sign she had.

I plan on hanging this one (it lights up) in the bays at the shop. I have huge walls with nothing on them and am looking for big signs to take up some of the space.

Oh geez! I want that! I bet you gave the guy $5 for it too. :p

Fantastic deal and one of the best history series written.

I must confess, I only have the Kindle version, but I do have a very nice print edition of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples. Another classic.

It was a great deal and when the guy told me $1 a book, I ran back upstairs and grabbed them. :p They don’t have the original dust jackets and the spines are faded but they are over 60 years old. I’ll take it. :p
I want to find his collected speeches for the same price. :p Riiiggghhhtttt……

The Kindle version isn’t the first edition version. There were several edits to the series as time went on. I wanted the raw Churchill. Collectors tell me that they like it that way too but even the first edition repros cost over $400 for the set. :faint: No way I would pay that. :p

She was a little old widow. I'll be going back, too. She told me if I want any cars, to come back. She had at least 20 classic cars, half of which were vintage Cadillacs. She also said she's going to dig up an old Falstaff sign she had.

I plan on hanging this one (it lights up) in the bays at the shop. I have huge walls with nothing on them and am looking for big signs to take up some of the space.

Cadillacs, Falstaff? I'll take one or two of each. :p 59 Cadillac, 50s and 60s Cadillacs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic