Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Warbaby

One Too Many
Found this briefcase at the thrift shop today for $1.99. I don't think it's as vintage as it looks because it's in almost mint condition - prolly from Russia or some other Eastern European country.

Briefcase1.JPG

Miss RM

Familiar Face
It's been almost a year since I found this set, but I'm still pretty chuffed. It's Bakelite, and cost only $3!! I read somewhere (can't remember which thread) about how hard it is to find good vintage jewelry for reasonable prices these days. I say, keep looking! It's still possible! :)

2282541784_8c1cb20305.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Miss RM said:
It's been almost a year since I found this set, but I'm still pretty chuffed. It's Bakelite, and cost only $3!! I read somewhere (can't remember which thread) about how hard it is to find good vintage jewelry for reasonable prices these days. I say, keep looking! It's still possible! :)

seriously funky Congrats!i

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I had a little boon this weekend. I hit an estate sale and for a grand total of 50 cents I got 5 books.

I got the Sunset Host and Hostess Book copyright 1940 (my edition printed 1952), The Complete Book of Table Setting; with Service Etiquette and Flower Arrangement copyright 1949, Gregg Shorthand (instructional text), and my husband threw a paperback copy of Around the World With Auntie Mame on the pile. My favorite though was a 1943 edition of The Complete Book of Sewing with it's dust jacket intact and including the original delivery letter and invoice. I thought this letter was fantastic.

It reads in part:

"Dear Friend,

Here is your copy of the COMPLETE BOOK OF SEWING. Now you can quickly know how to sew with the best of them..."
"Enclosed is your invoice for the amount now due. With it comes a wonderful bargain opportunity-- YOURS if you act at once.
You know, of course, that 25,000 doctors have gone into uniform. Soon one third of all doctors in the country will be in the Armed Forces. Do you realize what this will mean to you?
Today it is often impossible to get ANY doctor even for illnes, let alone emergency. So now, more than ever, it is up to you to HAVE the medical facts that everyone should possess.
That's why I have made all arrangememts to send you for 5 days FREE trial, an amazing book of Medical Facts called the MODERN HOME MEDICAL ADVISER...."

(emphasis mine) Both a period piece, and the same vein of commercial you can see today!

It goes on to tout the book and whatnot. It even includes the phrase "What would you pay for...?" and "No, not $25, or $50, not even $7.50... but for only $2.98!"

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.... lol

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Miss RM said:

Fantastic!
How I wish there were treasures like this in California!
The thrift stores and yard sales in my town are all full of late 80's trash. :mad:

Miss RM

Familiar Face
Thanks, everyone!

Odalisque, I've heard that complaint from friends of mine in California. I have no luck at all in the current town I live in, but a few hours north, and it's a thrift store gold mine! I really miss living up there!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Miss RM said:
Thanks, everyone!

Odalisque, I've heard that complaint from friends of mine in California. I have no luck at all in the current town I live in, but a few hours north, and it's a thrift store gold mine! I really miss living up there!

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea. I too have been frustrated with finding shelves filled with Chinese made garbage in local thrift stores. Maybe I should try driving an hour or two out the area. Which direction, I know not.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Warbaby said:
Found this briefcase at the thrift shop today for $1.99. I don't think it's as vintage as it looks because it's in almost mint condition - prolly from Russia or some other Eastern European country.

Briefcase1.JPG

It's a spy case, I tell you! Probably abandoned full of nuclear secrets and they threw it overboard on the way back to Siberia...lovely.

Hey, looking at your current signature, you could name it... Satchel Paige...

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
If any of you are near South Eastern Pennsylvania, say an outside out of Philly or so, it's a thrift store and antiques heaven! I should know, I live there!

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
MadelienneBlack said:
If any of you are near South Eastern Pennsylvania, say an outside out of Philly or so, it's a thrift store and antiques heaven! I should know, I live there!
Mmmhm. Have you been to Zern's? Despite there being only 4-5 teeth per every hundred person at any given time there, or perhaps because of it, interesting things can be found. There's an entire store for vintage clothing, almost entirely women's.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I made out like a bandit at my local Goodwill a couple days ago. I'm going to list a lot of this in the Classifieds for exactly what I paid for it, a couple bucks in most cases! Let me know if you're interested in something I don't list. Here is what I got for a grand total of $20:

Top pair marked Kramer, middle pair marked Japan, sweater guard unmarked.
IMG_0719.JPG

50s monogram purse, looks unworn, still stuffed with paper. I wonder who owned it? I love vintage monogram stuff.
IMG_0698.JPG

Silver 50s or 60s clutch with chain and pearl clasp.
IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

Not sure of the date on this one. Totally encrusted with seed beads. I was thinking it was modern, but then I saw the awesome lucite faux MOP clasp! Stained on the back, but possibly OxiClean can get it out?
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

Cool 60s flight bag. Already being used as my book bag.
IMG_0720.JPG

50s (?) Cotton B. Altman dress. Kind of an anomaly, this one. It has a wrap cheongsam-style top that closes with handmade frogs, then has a flared skirt and what appears to be the original sash belt. Look at that fabric! Dingy though, needs a cleaning and a couple snaps replaced. Paid $5 for it!!!!
IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Brinybay

Practically Family
Frykitty said:
Its rare to find anything of interest in the thrift's in my town, but I stumbled upon this little gem the other day...

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

I hope this works I'm still trying to figure out the bst wat to post pics here (I'm a little slow I guess:) )

p.s. Brinybay those nail clippers are pretty cool, are they still sharp?

I was able to view you pictures ok. I haven't tried the clippers yet, I'll let you know next time I need to trim my nails. I was able to date them though. I found a 1906 Hardware catalog online that has an image of Gem Nail Clippers that look very similar: http://tinyurl.com/c9gz2r (Go to page 604).

What's funny is when you google "Gem Nail Clippers" guess who comes up the most? Dr. Seuss! He was apparently paid in 12 gross of Gem Nail Clippers instead of a paycheck one time (before he became a children's author)

When Ted, then back in the U.S., finally sold a cartoon to the Saturday Evening Post, he was motivated to move from his parent's home in Massachusetts to New York to try his hand as a cartoonist. He finally sold his first cartoon to a humor magazine, Judge, and landed a job as staff writer there, as well. Taking this as a sign that things were looking up, he and Helen were married. Still quite poor, they rented a dismal apartment across from a stable in the Hell's Kitchen area of New York. When the stable horses died, they would be pulled out of the stable and dumped off into the middle of the street, there to be left for several days until picked up by the sanitation department. The magazine began having money problems, with staff sometimes being paid in goods given to the magazine by advertisers-one week Ted received 100 cartons of shaving cream; another time, 1,872 Little Gem nail clippers--so the Geisels stayed rather longer than they had anticipated in this particular location.

http://www.anapsid.org/aboutmk/seuss.html

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
Miss RM said:

Is it transluchent? If so, it is not Bakelite, but may be Catalin, essentially the same material, but without fillers. Here is one article I found on such materials:

http://www.coololdgames.com/CatvsBak.html

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Bakelite and Catalin are two different plastics, but are both commonly referred to as Bakelite. All of the "Bakelite" jewelry that you see is actually Catalin. Bakelite was generally only used for electrical appliances, handles on pots and coffee pots, etc. because it will not melt. Bakelite has become the general term for the jewelry in the same way that people call all tissues Kleneex.

Bakelite is a thermoset plastic made out of formaldehyde, phenol and a filler to make the product stronger and cheaper; usually wood, rags, cotton, and sometimes asbestos. Because it has filler in it, once the first layer of Bakelite is destroyed it is impossible to restore to its original luster. True Bakelite was only made in two varying colors: brown and black. It could only be made in these two colors because of the extreme heat it endured while being cured.

Catalin is also a thermoset plastic made of formaldehyde and phenol with no fillers. Therefore it can be restored and reworked. Catalin is usually very colorful. Over time Catalin develops a patina, there is NO white Catalin (unless it has been restored, reworked, or has never seen sunlight). Sunlight causes the Catalin to yellow or "petina". All of the original white Catalin has yellowed over time, and clear to "apple juice", blue to green or teal, purple to brown or tan, while green, orange and red stay about the same. White marbling in marbled pieces will be yellowed. Catalin also shrinks over time, that is why most of the radios have cracks, warping, and the fiberboard on the back no longer fits.

Foofoogal

Banned
I sold a book but it was about tons of different plastics made around the time of the plastics industry beginnings. Very interesting to see the different ones.
I gave up trying to figure out bakelite. Never could figure out how to do the testing with the hot water, simithichrome (sp) or whatever. It is a mystery to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Homes...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233927241&sr=1-1

probably should of kept this book. it is amazing.

missfire

New in Town
Ok, here is my living room, furnished a la thrift stores and Craigslist:

l_dbb46f4e71b345ce870a4f0b6a4d690f.jpg

RCA's mascot, Nipper, is from Goodwill for $6.99. He's looking at a wind-up Victrola that we bought from Craigslist for $75.

The mirror above the fireplace was $49.95 at Goodwill.
The elephant tusks around the fireplace were $5.99 each at Goodwill.

Mantle clock - $6.99 at Goodwill.

The chalkware Indian Hiawatha busts on the fireplace mantle I believe to be old Cigar store advert pieces. They were resale shop finds - one was $40 and the other was $28.

The room actually has a lot more finds in it, but this is the only picture I have handy that shows a bunch at once.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
today's haul

-two decent ties. nice, but nothing special
-Swank propeller tie bar.
-Saks Fifth Avenue stingy in taupe. only an 1/8th size off! side to side is perfect, but fore/aft has some wiggle room. a little soft foam under the sweatband in back should take care of things. my first fur felt. appears to be unworn.

total cost: $21

3259534360_15a7b03103_m.jpg

3259534362_5b0cc15043_m.jpg

3259534368_d2c35f2f98_m.jpg

3259534370_78708de0f4_m.jpg

3259534380_00fdc29771_m.jpg

3259534372_f1ff9cfa79_m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran