Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've had a fantastic month for thrift! All the photos link back to their Flickr page for larger shots.

This is a very small bookshelf with six real dictionaries on. The blue pair are German/Swedish, the red English/Swedish, the green French/Swedish. It's about two inches tall!

A decorative handmade box from the 1930s. It can be opened and things can be stored, but it's not that large.

A nice looking marmalade jar.

These are some coasters with vintage cars (From 1890-1940) on. The front ones are metal, the rear are cork. The rear ones have a box that you can see them in.

A razor case with plenty of Gillette razor blades in. Unfortunately, I don't have a safety razor yet! This wasn't actually thrift, my wife's mother gave it to me, but it fits.

A leather box full of starched collars my wife bought for me (although she was my fiancée at the time!). Most are wing, but a few are not.

The collars out of the box. There's five of the same kind of wing (In the back), but with different wing sizes. There's then a different wing in the front, and a few other collars. I used some cufflinks to hold the collars together for this photo.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm pleased to have snagged this small vintage ink blotter:

blotter.jpg

jeep44

One of the Regulars
That Dundee marmalade jar-my Dad always ate that brand, and I can remember when the lid was actually paper-probably in the '50s or early '60s. He still has a number of those old jars around his house full of pencils and things.

Lumelux

New in Town
thunderw21 said:
Got this 'chalkware' hula girl today. She proudly sits in my truck now.
hulagirl.jpg

And this Willis & Geiger safari jacket.
safarijacket001.jpg

safarijacket002.jpg
Looks like the jacket Higgins wore on Magnum PI. Oh My God!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Lokar said:
I've had a fantastic month for thrift! All the photos link back to their Flickr page for larger shots.

This is a very small bookshelf with six real dictionaries on. The blue pair are German/Swedish, the red English/Swedish, the green French/Swedish. It's about two inches tall!

A decorative handmade box from the 1930s. It can be opened and things can be stored, but it's not that large.

A nice looking marmalade jar.

These are some coasters with vintage cars (From 1890-1940) on. The front ones are metal, the rear are cork. The rear ones have a box that you can see them in.

A razor case with plenty of Gillette razor blades in. Unfortunately, I don't have a safety razor yet! This wasn't actually thrift, my wife's mother gave it to me, but it fits.

A leather box full of starched collars my wife bought for me (although she was my fiancée at the time!). Most are wing, but a few are not.

The collars out of the box. There's five of the same kind of wing (In the back), but with different wing sizes. There's then a different wing in the front, and a few other collars. I used some cufflinks to hold the collars together for this photo.
LOKAR,
Do you have the appropriate shirts to go with the collars?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flea Market finds!
Fab lamp. The shade I bought on ebay ages ago.
0531091621.jpg

Comb/Brush Holder, 1946 Tube Radio Book, Two matching skinny belts, bakelite dress clip (needs repair and was thrown in for free).
0531091623.jpg

Two pretty scarves
0531091623a.jpg

Fun little purse
0531091624.jpg

Detail
0531091624a.jpg

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Last weekend I found this Canadian-made version of Bissell's "Grand Rapids" model floor sweeper at a yard sale I stumbled across.
Couldn't believe it when the seller only asked $2 for it.

It was manufactured in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. The last patent date on it I could find was 1935. I believe it was one of the last models to feature the old style wooden encasement, because 'art moderne' or 'streamlined' metal and plastic versions of the sweeper became the norm. at about the same time.

Given that it's probably been bumped into several walls and pieces of furniture over several decades, I think it's in very decent shape.

The only problem with it is the rubber coating on the metal wheels. It must have sat on the same spot on a floor for a long time - gravity flattened one side of the wheels. The rubber is very old and brittle now anyways, needs to be re-done. I have a friend with a lot of machinery (and the smarts) who may be able to help me fix that.

3596614349_7568faefd4.jpg

Here's the Bissell beside a Beatty vacuum cleaner I got a year ago.

3597417850_67262db319.jpg

3596612309_505353b1e9.jpg

3596608577_ca7f791c56.jpg

You can take a gander at the galleries of my other vintage stuff at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/collections/72157601089657506/

:)

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
I think it could do with a polish and clean, but other than that, it looks pretty!!

I think it's a good looking object too. Glad you agree because the rest of my family thinks I'm crazy for buying it. :)

Yep, this cleaner definately needs a cleaning.
There's a small spot on top that needs a veneer patch too.

Warbaby

One Too Many
The garage sales were good to me today:

Vintage GE toaster, clean and working - $10

Toaster2.JPG

Small old cloisonne vase - unusual in that the cloisonne work is on ceramic rather than metal - $ .50

CloisonneVase1.JPG

CloisonneVase3.JPG

French clothes brush, ebony and natural bristle - $ .50

Brush.JPG

Really big English mixing bowl - $3
It has a raised, flat foot on one side so you can rest it at an angle on the counter while you beat the contents - the green dot lets you know which is the down side.

BigBowl.JPG

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brinybay said:
Off topic, and maybe I'm behind the times, but as I recall, back in the day, part of these types of charities mission was to teach people basic repair skills. Do they not do that anymore?
:eek:fftopic: This was true. I read that in an excellent book I acquired in college called something like How to Live on Nothing. Nowadays the people sort, stock and sell the donations but no repairs are done, so I've been told by the nice folks at the Salvation Army Family Store around the corner from my house.
I love this thread and seeing everyone's fab finds. It's like shopping without spending money and lugging more stuff into the house.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
I would love to have that! Any idea what year it is from? And is that Flin Flon, Manitoba? What a name...

OH MY GOSH, THAT IS FLIN FLON MANITOBA! lol I lived there for three months or so, there ain't nothin' there man! lol 7000 people tops and I passed by the old men's/tailor shop where I'm sure those hats were originally sold... some old crazy pothead bald guy owned it when I was there and would sit out front and pretend to play his electric guitar... scary man, his head was HUGE!

Flin Flon is about 8 hours north of Winnipeg MB... Gosh, I haven't been there in almost 7 years now! Gosh!

Here's Flin Flon:

1.jpg

The town's name is taken from the lead character in a paperback novel, The Sunless City by J. E. Preston Muddock. A prospector named Tom Creighton found the book in the wilderness. The story is about a man named Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin, who piloted a submarine through a bottomless lake. Upon passing through a hole lined with gold, he found a strange underground world.

When Tom Creighton discovered a rich vein of almost pure copper, he thought of the book and called it Flin Flon's mine, mercifully shortening the name. The town that sprang up around the mine adopted the name. Flin Flon shares with Tarzana, California, the distinction of being named after a character in a science fiction novel.

The hat ad is more then likely from the late 40s. Canada caught on to most mainstream fashions after the states did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo