Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Vintage Groceries!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
With much...

...modern packaging the emphasis is on recyclability, light weight to keep down shipping costs, or display.

When something isn’t packed that way it stands out. I got some Allen Edmunds shoes and the boxes were ornate, and my wife bought me a shaving brush from England and it came in a neat little slip box and was neatly wrapped in paper.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd think the ultimate in recyclability would be to use packaging that could easily be used for some other purpose around the house once the product was gone. Coffee cans are one prime example of this, and cracker tins are another -- very few homes in the Era didn't have a button tin that used to contain Uneeda Biscuits.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Boy...

LizzieMaine said:
I'd think the ultimate in recyclability would be to use packaging that could easily be used for some other purpose around the house once the product was gone. Coffee cans are one prime example of this, and cracker tins are another -- very few homes in the Era didn't have a button tin that used to contain Uneeda Biscuits.

...that's the truth. When we do get something that isn't a blister pack, throwaway package, we often use if for something else.

Here's a funny thing. A glass fruit jar with a threaded top exactly fit the grease trap on our stove. So it has a new job.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was at a coffee shop with a friend a couple of weeks ago and they had an amazing display of vintage groceries. I snapped these with my phone.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Did you ever find your coffee tin? It's funny you mentioned coffee specifically because I want a vintage Maxwell House (no other brand will do) tin. Yep. Because I am, as I have been told, crazy.

They're shockingly expensive though. I think I may have to revert to my original idea of looks-old-but-not tins and boxes. Mortons' salt, Keenes curry powder, stuff like that.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
It's not vintage, but I have a late 60's Folgers coffee can that I put my "weekend" coffee in.
It fits in the shelves of my cupboard, so I've kept it all these years.
BTW I knew the former owners, my grandparents.
The lid doesn't quite fit on there as well anymore, but it does store coffee well.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Does someone remember "American Milko"? Found an empty can on the loft in the old house, where I used to live. Comes from 40-50's I presume.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Yes, something very much like that. Not having much luck.

I wish I'd checked this forum earlier. We had 5 of those old style coffee tins - Maxwell House, Folgers, Community Club, and 2 others I can't remember. Some of them even had dates on them. We were cleaning some things out, didn't have a place for them, and *gave* them away to one of my husband's coworkers who loves vintage packaging. Not that they didn't go to a good home... but if I'd seen this thread I would have just mailed one to you! Rats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot