Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

FF that looks absolutely amazing!!! Truly a work of art. As a plumber, I may have a little more appreciation for such things than the average Joe, but that is the hands down best bathroom renovation I think I've ever seen. My hat is way off to you for going the effort to preserve the period aesthetic.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

FF that looks absolutely amazing!!! Truly a work of art. As a plumber, I may have a little more appreciation for such things than the average Joe, but that is the hands down best bathroom renovation I think I've ever seen. My hat is way off to you for going the effort to preserve the period aesthetic.

Thank you so much - both based on your posts and your profession, that is quite a compliment.

We've put our heart and soul (and an insane amount of time, money and effort) into this renovation and somethings don't turn out as well as you hope, but the bathroom is exceeding our expectations.

1928 NYC Co-op Apartment Restoration Update:

There's been some pretty good progress the last few weeks, but not that much to show yet. Below our some updated bathroom pictures with a few more details versus last time.

After that, are several shots of the kitchen - mainly the window area where the tile work is all but done. Hopefully, over the next few weeks the kitchen will get completed and I can post some full shots then - these just give you a sense of the detail that goes into this crazy project.

Shower stall faucet

Sink area with repro hand towel now installed

Shower entry arch and vintage globe "skyscraper" light (repro base)

Kitchen window area. An original radiator will go back on the ledge below the window. Also, we exposed the pipe to the left (will scrape and paint) as a prior renovation had boxed it in. It gives the kitchen a more original "working kitchen" look as it was most likely not enclosed when first built.

A more detailed view - the floor is reclaimed wood

The "sanitary cove" where the tile "curves into the floor" to avoid sharp edges and places where dirt could accumulate

Same "no sharp edges" concept on the walls (kudos to the very talented and patient tiler -this was not easy to do here)

And one last one, a "sneak preview:" the wall-mounted sink faucet

Panadora

Practically Family
Another Frits Henningsen chair (the seat has springs!).

attachment.php
New project: Found 8 more of these chairs for the dining room/table that needs to be restored :cool:
IMG_2679.jpg

1928 NYC Co-op Apartment Restoration Update:

More progress on the kitchen as most of the hardware, doors and drawers have been installed. Still more painting, grouting and touch up here and there, but getting closer. Waiting until the end to put the glass globes on the lights.

It's hard to get a good "overall" shot, but this one captures some of it

One of two sets of glass cabinets

The sink area

The original kitchen radiator, refreshed and back in his original home beneath the window (window sill at top of picture needs work)

Everything is coming along beautifully F.F. It looks great. I know you guys are really looking forward to getting in there.

It is looking amazing, FF! I love the hardware on the drawers and cabinets and the glass front cabinets. Just lovely!

Thank you so much. The hardware was an act of love and effort by my girlfriend. We couldn't find enough matching vintage hardware, so many months ago, we orders samples of new brass hardware from several companies. After choosing the aesthetically and functionally best ones, she set about adding patina through a series of different chemical baths and, even, baking in the oven.

She's incredibly smart and talented. They went from shiny new to what you see (she even "aged" the grommets [seven tries till I got that spelling correct] and paddles inside the cabinets that support the shelves). It is amazing how these "little" details are so impactful to the vintage aesthetic.

The glass is reclaimed glass from a turn of the last century house. It was hard to find pieces that big. While oddly not that expensive, it is, obviously, not tempered, so while it looks awesome (bubbles, waves and other signs of age), it is fragile. But who cares, it looks so much better than new glass for the look we are trying to get. All the panes in the French door at the entrance to the kitchen that we had built (and I've posted pictures of it before) are also reclaimed from the same house. Nice to give the glass a second life.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Everything is coming along beautifully F.F. It looks great. I know you guys are really looking forward to getting in there.

Thank you. We are, but oddly, I think we are almost nervous as we've been living in a very, very tiny apartment nearby during the renovation (we have to breath in to pass each other) and, as neither of us have ever owned before or had something like this to live in, I think we are both a bit hesitant - after three decades of rentals, it will be odd to be in something we own that hasn't been, effectively, designed to someone else's preference. Honestly, I still can't believe it is happening. We've put our heart and soul into this project for many years (if you count the time we spent finding an affordable pre-war apartment in this silly expensive city) and I think we both are a bit overwhelmed that we'll be moving in soon.

Ejn425

New in Town
Fading Fast,

I am a frequent lurker here on this site, but I just had to comment on how wonderful your apartment is coming along. It looks beautiful! I think it is so great that you and your girlfriend are so committed to restoring the living space to its original glory. It looks amazing and I look forward to each update. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if I should be happy or sad? I just saw that Fire station No. 4 in Battle Creak, Michigan sold last year for $250,000. I can't believe it went so cheap! The last owner did a lot of work so that you can live in it. Most importantly, he preserved the fire truck bays. I hope the new owner does not neuter the building! Here are some before and after shots.
4450895516_2101551dce_o_zpsvgcgx6kv.jpg
B9318847809Z_1_20150916141918_000_GI7BUDQKU_1-0_zpsxg2c2pt2.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Still settling into my 1953 Cape Cod (yay! It's mine! No more landlady!) and adjusting to slightly less space than we had at our rental. I'm thrilled that the original doors are here, along with the crystal (?) doorknobs, plus some beautiful hardwood floors. Pictures to come when I get it all done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo