Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Glee said:
Well, I'm not quite done, but it's progressed so much I thought I had to share anyway. Here are some photos before & after of the little house.

Wow, that looks great. I'll bet your neighbors are thrilled to have someone improving the look of that place. The color change alone did away with the "rental" look. Gosh how I hate neutrals.

-Dave

carter

I'll Lock Up
rogaleo, That house is wonderful. Will we see more photos as the work progresses or when it is completed? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Image-1EE3DA62ECE811DA.jpg
Image-1EE37B46ECE811DA.jpg

DSCN7425.jpg

DSCN7479.jpg

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Prien's Vintage Apt.

I moved into this place at the very end of June of this year. My landlord is wonderful and tells me about the history of the building and all the interesting stories with working on it.

These photos were taken about 2 months ago, so I've done a bit more since then - but they give you an idea anyway.

018.jpg

Original Door - One of the only two left.

012-1.jpg

Wall on your right hand side as you come into my apt.

017.jpg

The wall right after that (we're going counter clock-wise).

013-1.jpg

This shows part of my Art Deco style futon. My apt's very small (only for 1-2 people) and so this was a way I could accomidate for a visitor staying overnight.

014.jpg

This shows the Art Deco style of the futon. I thought it was pretty nice to go with the rest of my style.

015.jpg

This is the china cabinet I use to hold my supplements, teas, my German maritime items (HAPAG, U-Boat, and Cape Horn ship things) and books. I now have it set up with nice bright cotton towels lining the top two shelves - the top being for my supplements in the little original vintage case, and teas in the wooden box, the middle shelf now holds my maritime items, and the bottom is being use for books.

016.jpg

The 1935 Console Radio (doesn't work) next to the wall after the one with the futon and china cabinet.

...more to follow.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
My apt...

Kitchen

021.jpg

My table w/ three chairs. The fourth is in my bedroom.

022.jpg

My Art Deco styled silverware and dishes.

023.jpg

Wall on your left as you enter the kitchen.

024.jpg

Wall on your right as you enter the kitchen.

025.jpg

The cabinetry and sink photo. Even the drawers down below are original - they are under the side of the counter where the non-vintage style coffee maker and toaster are (when they die they will be replaced with something vintage style).

020.jpg

My pantry. There is much more space to this than there appears to be. I have, despite my apt. being small, much cabinet space to use. There is even space above the pantry here where I store things.

034.jpg

The inside of one of my cabinets. I tried to keep my dishes as vintage style as I could - or at least a decent retro style.

Bedroom

028.jpg

The wall you see entering my bedroom.

026.jpg

My vintage bed, and small closet next to it. My spot has the peculiarity of a 'floating chimney'. There was a chimney that was only partially knocked out and it is 'floating' next to this closet area.

027.jpg

The hutch I use for a dresser.

and a few more...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
last apt. photos.

Bathroom

029.jpg

Entrance to my bathroom - which is only 23" wide. If you are claustrophobic, I would not suggest entering it.

032.jpg

Vintage trashcan turned into a magazine holder. I got it for $1 at an antique store. I don't know if it is 30s - 40s or 50s but it works and looks nice.

033.jpg

Deco style tissue holder for pennies at a yard sale.

030.jpg

Some items.

031.jpg

The vintage mirror. I took the red glass pots down and put up fake ivy strands there. I had also put up a fake ivy strand on the vertical metal pipe that helps to hold up the shower curtain rod. It looks very 'warm and cozy' now.

I dress vintage style - but not the 'fedora style' - not the 'suit and tie'. I keep my old U-Boat denims, and have vintage style ankle boots (resoled with leather soles and rubber heels). I have my two white sweaters, my old oilskins, and a work jacket - so the way I dress is your 'working man's' style - the laborer type.

I hope you enjoyed checking out my new spot.

Sincerely,

Prien

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks.

I'm still working on changing a few things over. Little things - details. One of which is the plastic shower curtain holders. I am going to get metal ones - the nice hooks to use in place of the plastic ones.

I also have to get a chair and a small end table for the living room yet, and get rid of the crummy rocking chair (which has been through one too many floods for its own good) - but everything in its turn...little by little.

:)

Prien

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
LOL!

I know. The stinker of it is, is that I can't hang up more pictures! (As I take it you're talking about the plastic stuff in the bathroom). That is a major bummer for me. I would have loved to get more vintage rose postcards and hang them up in there!

My landlord told me the only reason why they kept that wooden paneling as well was because it was still in very decent condition. Behind that is your standard horse-hair plaster wall. I tried to 'work with' the paneling the best I could and I think I did ok.

Yes...I really hate that plastic stuff...I even tried suction cups, but all to no avail. :(

Prien

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prien said:
LOL!

I know. The stinker of it is, is that I can't hang up more pictures! (As I take it you're talking about the plastic stuff in the bathroom). That is a major bummer for me. I would have loved to get more vintage rose postcards and hang them up in there!

My landlord told me the only reason why they kept that wooden paneling as well was because it was still in very decent condition. Behind that is your standard horse-hair plaster wall. I tried to 'work with' the paneling the best I could and I think I did ok.

Yes...I really hate that plastic stuff...I even tried suction cups, but all to no avail. :(

Prien

I actually meant the first few pics! ;) Could spice up the place a lot and make the prints really pop. I believe Behr (?) even has vintage paint colors by decade.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I actually meant the first few pics! ;) Could spice up the place a lot and make the prints really pop. I believe Behr (?) even has vintage paint colors by decade.

Which works IF the landlord lets him paint....not a given at all with most landlords.

Despite -our- collective good taste...landlords tend to assume people who want to paint will turn it aubergine or black or some other hard to repaint..color

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
Which works IF the landlord lets him paint....not a given at all with most landlords.

Despite -our- collective good taste...landlords tend to assume people who want to paint will turn it aubergine or black or some other hard to repaint..color

True, I am blessed with a very kind landlord who let us paint the walls however we wanted. She should have known better, as we chose rather bold colors ;)

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hello,

Thanks! I was just fortunate enough to have it all work out like this for me (location, size - big places are hard for me to clean due to my CFS, price, etc.).

I was told by the husband (husband and wife team landlords) that the vintage stuff often puts people off - but not me! I was thrilled. :D

Right now though, they are taking out the old cast iron pipe from the toilet upstairs that runs down behind the wall in my kitchen, and replacing it with the modern PVC. So, my kitchen is a bit torn up and its just a pain in the bum at the moment...but what are you going to do? [huh] It needs to be done - the pipe was worn and cracked. So, I'm just looking at it like: "Well at least they're working on the -preventive- level." (as no one lives upstairs yet).

If I could change some things I'd change the paneling, that plastic stuff in the bathroom, and have a tile floor in the bathroom. I think I'd also do something with the kitchen floor because it doesn't dry fast when you mop it (despite fans, and windows open). It's just not a fast drying sort of vinyl covering. ...oh and that bathroom light fixture too...that needs to go.

Sincerely,

Prien

PS: Hopefully in a few months when I'm truly settled in, I'll have updated photos taken and share them. :eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm quite sure there is an especially toasty corner in hell reserved for those poor misguided souls in or about the 70's who put that horrible, tacky, artificial phoney wood cardboard paneling all over their walls.
But it looks like you're creating a nice old fashioned homey environment there. Good luck!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
LOL :D

Thanks - I'm trying. :eek:

When I see my landlord again, I'm going to bug her to see a peek upstairs. I was told by the maintainance guy that for some reason they have a hard time keeping it rented. I replied that maybe there's ghosts up there or something.:rolleyes: But, I did ask if there were any original items left upstairs. There is an original sink up there as I had asked specifically on that. I just need to see the upstairs to make mental notes.

By the way - I still have the original windows in my section. I love them, but I hate them. I hated cleaning them, and they can be hard to move even after oiling. They are planning on replacing them (due to heat costs - as that is in the rent payment) - so, if I'm still in there when they do - it will be a bittersweet parting. The windows still have the original locks on and 'anti-theft' devices on the sides, the pulleys are still there and all.

There is a drop ceiling in the apt. that comes down about 2.5 to 3 ft. - so it is quite a high ceiling (and I saw just how high after the work had to be done).

Right now - just having fun getting settled in more, and things sorted. Just got myself (what seems to be) vintage custard dishes. I'm trying to keep my kitchenware vintage or a decent retro style. I have to look them up in the book: "The Collectors Encyclopedia of Depression Glass" - so that's why I'm here at the library. :eek:

Prien:eek:

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
The more proper vintage-izing of my new house continues - today, my carpenters are installing new windows in the two big blank walls the modern builder neglected to put windows into for "wall space" reasons. The new windows are period correct for the neighborhood's general era and all wood. Pics to come. Can't wait to get it all finished.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Some more pics. Concrete floors are finished now - went with a Valspar floor paint in Adobe Red, which helps tie together the exterior and interior colors.

2870479933_d10ef6d160.jpg

The new windows are installed in both the living room and master bedroom. Have not yet painted them to match yet.

2876210005_ebfa1a2522.jpg

2876210381_40f1355745.jpg

The new porch railings - we made these ourselves. Vastly sturdier and more attractive than the ones on the house before.

2877042106_3dd1a8636f.jpg

The beginnings of new column ornmentation.

2877041934_c2b0723c4e.jpg

Overview of the work thus far.

2876210223_fbbd484c47.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael