Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
This week, one of the kids from work came over for a couple of hours to take photos for a school project -- she basically followed me around as I did housework and took pictures of things around the house that caught her eye. She's 18 years old and has never seen most of the things I take for granted as part of daily life -- so I thought her photos were quite interesting, both for the scenes she chose to take and for the way she processed them.
phono.jpg

Playing a record -- something she'd never seen up close.

pantry.jpg

Doing the washing. She says she wants a machine just like mine because IT'S THE COOLEST THING EVAH.

Beautiful home lizzie- I love real homes that look loved, and lived in- none of this modern show home malarkey for me!
It funny to think that we vintage people take things for granted too- thinking because it’s old and been around a fair few years that people should know, have seen, or would have come into contact with these (for us) everyday items - it’s obviously not the case. I suppose it has a lot to do with your upbringing- I’ve certainly been around such things from an early age (thankfully)- it’s always been a part of me I guess!:)

Beautiful home!

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Miss Tuppence, I love that pic of your washing machine with the wringer! My grandmother had one like that when I was a small boy, it used to fascinate me to watch her feed clothes through the wringer. Thank you so much for triggering a happy memory that I hadn't thought about in years!!!!!

This week, one of the kids from work came over for a couple of hours to take photos for a school project -- she basically followed me around as I did housework and took pictures of things around the house that caught her eye. She's 18 years old and has never seen most of the things I take for granted as part of daily life -- so I thought her photos were quite interesting, both for the scenes she chose to take and for the way she processed them.
phono.jpg

Playing a record -- something she'd never seen up close.

pantry.jpg

Doing the washing. She says she wants a machine just like mine because IT'S THE COOLEST THING EVAH.

Beautiful home lizzie- I love real homes that look loved, and lived in- none of this modern show home malarkey for me!
It funny to think that we vintage people take things for granted too- thinking because it’s old and been around a fair few years that people should know, have seen, or would have come into contact with these (for us) everyday items - it’s obviously not the case. I suppose it has a lot to do with your upbringing- I’ve certainly been around such things from an early age (thankfully)- it’s always been a part of me I guess!:)

Beautiful home!

Old Rogue

Practically Family
OOPS! I guess Lizzie actually posted the pics. Thanks to you Lizzie!!! Chalk it up to my aging eyes!!!

Miss Tuppence, I love that pic of your washing machine with the wringer! My grandmother had one like that when I was a small boy, it used to fascinate me to watch her feed clothes through the wringer. Thank you so much for triggering a happy memory that I hadn't thought about in years!!!!!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I agree with all the rest LizzieMaine. It reminds me of my early visits to my grandparent's house. It looks lived in instead of precious. I enjoy that.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
^ You're welcome :) It really is such a sweet home. How old is it?

Again, thank you! I'm sure it looks better in pictures than in person. The house was built in approximately 1921, supposedly as a "builder's sample" according to the previous owner. It's pretty original, down to the cedar clapboards. I think it's kind of a Dutch Colonial mix, but the inside definitely has some Art & Crafts details. Features some typical Twenties items such as colonnades, built-ins and a breakfast nook. Visitors invariably are fascinated by the laundry chute that goes from the second floor bathroom down to the basement laundry area. The house also came with a cute clipped gable garage that was built approximately 1929, according to the local Sanborn Fire Maps.

You can see the garage just behind the Monte Carlo:
l_f48a4074019cada8db6493ad9b1c8aea.jpg

rue

Again, thank you! I'm sure it looks better in pictures than in person. The house was built in approximately 1921, supposedly as a "builder's sample" according to the previous owner. It's pretty original, down to the cedar clapboards. I think it's kind of a Dutch Colonial mix, but the inside definitely has some Art & Crafts details. Features some typical Twenties items such as colonnades, built-ins and a breakfast nook. Visitors invariably are fascinated by the laundry chute that goes from the second floor bathroom down to the basement laundry area. The house also came with a cute clipped gable garage that was built approximately 1929, according to the local Sanborn Fire Maps.

You can see the garage just behind the Monte Carlo:

The picture doesn't show any flaws at all, but then again those are part of the charm ;)
You're so lucky to have all the built-ins, the breakfast nook and the garage. Especially the laundry chute. Ours was used for wiring and closed up in most areas of the house.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Hello! I'm knew here.

This is my bedroom so far. I'm 17, so I don't have my own house yet.

Bedroom-1.jpg

011.jpg

040.jpg

It's a bit empty, but I like it!

Kirstenkat

New in Town
R.G. your Record player and radio are lovely!

My mom just moved into a house built 1936. It was made by Sears, apparently before 1940 they built houses too. I'm 20 so I'm at college, but I live there in Summer and during breaks. I'm lucky enough to have the attic room. The house is lovely, I don't have pictures yet as it is a mess right now but I can't wait to show it. I found a few old things in the crawl space of my room. The old locks, detailing in the bathroom and the random basement shower, it's all so exciting, I'm so jealous of my mom, my fiance joked we should buy it from her

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy