Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
This is my parent's home. It is pre-1900. We bought it off of my uncle that lost the abstract to the house. We only know that it is pre-1900 because one town over there is a house that is built off of its blueprints and it was built in 1900. The house is very, very run down. So far my parents have only finished renovating the kitchen, living room, and my bedroom. I think we may have taken some very old wallpaper off the walls when we painted since there was only the one layer of wallpaper.

Apparently we never took photos of the outside of the home. So the following link shows both our house and the twin house that was built off of its blueprints. Ours is the rundown one. Included in the slideshow is a black and white photo that we have of our house. There is no date on it, but it is very old. You may not be able to see him in it, but there is a black man peeking out from the fence on the right. Next door is a small house that my aunt used to live in. We were told it is where the servants for our house lived. We have a back staircase that was also supposed a servant staircase.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55797950@N00/2748532679/

Now here are a few photos my mom took while tearing apart the fireplace room.
Wish there was a better photo of our staircase. It is beautiful!
tumblr_mxpz44OoNx1ri40ixo2_1280.jpg

This stained glass window at the end of the stairs has the guy that built the house's initials in it.
tumblr_mxpz44OoNx1ri40ixo3_1280.jpg

Last one. This is one of the two doors that have stained glass in them. The attic windows are also all stained glass.
tumblr_mxpz44OoNx1ri40ixo1_1280.jpg

Alice Blue

One of the Regulars
There was a story earlier this year about a house from 1942 that went up for sale in Portland OR. The house must have been a showplace. It's been updated quite a bit, but quite a lot of the woodwork is intact and the house has *five* tile bathrooms. (The owner of the Retro Renovation blog seems to be quite fond of pink bathrooms and has a campaign to save them.)

http://retrorenovation.com/2013/02/...1942-capsule-house-portland-oregon-13-photos/

fgradowski

One of the Regulars
There was a story earlier this year about a house from 1942 that went up for sale in Portland OR. The house must have been a showplace. It's been updated quite a bit, but quite a lot of the woodwork is intact and the house has *five* tile bathrooms. (The owner of the Retro Renovation blog seems to be quite fond of pink bathrooms and has a campaign to save them.)

http://retrorenovation.com/2013/02/...1942-capsule-house-portland-oregon-13-photos/

In the home I posted above, we had a pink tile, pink toilet, pink sink, pink tub bathroom upstairs. My parents got rid of all that pink! They did get a very lovely vintage inspired sink to go in there once they finish renovating it. Things kind of stopped a few years back when my dad didn't like the tile job that the guy did.

Well mine has a motorcycle...car...glass front gas furnace with dancing flames ...beer fridge...stereo system... air conditioning...big air compressor and a damn fine electric pencil sharpener. :cool:;)

Hahahahahhahah! Ok. My garage has four motorcycles in it. :p I think the air compressor might work. The flames dance in my fireplace when I light it. I might want to rewire the place before I put a fridge in there. :p The garage freezer just gave up the ghost. Damn it! I have two old hand crank pencil sharpeners---one labeled Giant. :p
The bar has 60 different scotches in it if that means anything :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Here is one for sale in my town. At $460,000, it's out of my price range. Not sure about the color, probably whats keeping it from selling! The bottom picture, is an Italianate Victorian, that some one stuccoed. It was apartments at one time, so two furnaces and two water heaters. Big master bedroom, and servant stairs. Needs a lot on the inside. On the outside, I think some green and maroon trim would help a lot, plus a clean up the door, put some etched glass in and put some ornate columns on the porch, replacing those ugly stucco supports! The top of the roof is flat, so a belvedere sure would change the looks for the better.

IS5ih3qiergm0v1000000000_zps6be3f505.jpg
ISz2bcyo7fwfqb_zps8a755d0b.jpg
I'm sure about the color...NO. :D
The second one, what can I say? It does look like a prison.
Apparently Medusa came by selling cosmetics at one time, turned the bull dog to solid stone! ;)

I'd love to re-do my home but I'm not sure my wife would go for 50's.
No big screen TV's back then. THAT would be an issue. I already have a large tv and she wants a larger one.
Okay, so you want the feeling of sitting in the first or second row of the movie theater????
If I re-did my house, BRACE YOURSELF JAMES POWERS, I'd do it in the late 60's early 70's style.
When I asked the Heeler if I should look for a pattern to match the 70's green semi-shag, she gave me an look of uncertainty.
scarlettunsure.jpg
Then I told the Bedlington I was going to look for a Pod chair in good shape, replace the orange carpet with new orange carpet, and look for pictures with mushrooms and owls, she couldn't take the news and passed out.
bluebellepassout.jpg
BTW I have some retro furniture and lamps, one of them is a reproduction to the right of the Bedlington. It's sitting on a wood and natural tile table, goes nicely with the wood paneling.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is one for sale in my town. At $460,000, it's out of my price range. Not sure about the color, probably whats keeping it from selling!
IS5ih3qiergm0v1000000000_zps6be3f505.jpg

Well, the temptation is gone, it's under contract. I wonder if some one negotiated a paint job in the final price?

I'm sure about the color...NO. :D
The second one, what can I say? It does look like a prison.
Apparently Medusa came by selling cosmetics at one time, turned the bull dog to solid stone! ;)

I'd love to re-do my home but I'm not sure my wife would go for 50's.
No big screen TV's back then. THAT would be an issue. I already have a large tv and she wants a larger one.
Okay, so you want the feeling of sitting in the first or second row of the movie theater????
If I re-did my house, BRACE YOURSELF JAMES POWERS, I'd do it in the late 60's early 70's style.
When I asked the Heeler if I should look for a pattern to match the 70's green semi-shag, she gave me an look of uncertainty.
View attachment 7082
Then I told the Bedlington I was going to look for a Pod chair in good shape, replace the orange carpet with new orange carpet, and look for pictures with mushrooms and owls, she couldn't take the news and passed out.
View attachment 7083
BTW I have some retro furniture and lamps, one of them is a reproduction to the right of the Bedlington. It's sitting on a wood and natural tile table, goes nicely with the wood paneling.

You have it wrong. The dogs are threatening to have a lot of accidents on the new nasty rug choices. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran