Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Not my home, yet. We went to have a look at a deco home for sale at Katoomba, it's a nice mainly original late 40's house. Needs work, but could be lovely, and it's only a five minute walk from the Three Sisters.
View attachment 8258 View attachment 8259 View attachment 8260 View attachment 8261 View attachment 8262 View attachment 8263
This is just around the corner
ThreeSisters001.jpg

Fantastic Deco frontage and in great repair Lolly.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I did see what could be done with this house. It would take a lot of work though!
ISz2bcyo7fwfqb_zps8a755d0b.jpg

I got some really good news today, this house is under contract. It's good news, because, I was weakening this morning, and almost put an offer on it! Now, no more temptation, which is good, since I would probably regret the purchase!

RBH

Bartender
I got some really good news today, this house is under contract. It's good news, because, I was weakening this morning, and almost put an offer on it! Now, no more temptation, which is good, since I would probably regret the purchase!

With a good paint job, the house could look really nice.
We have several old homes here in town with the same columns as that one.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
With a good paint job, the house could look really nice.
We have several old homes here in town with the same columns as that one.

The siding in stucco, the worst surface to paint. If they would do the trim in medium green, with the brackets and window caps in Maroon. Then the house would look a lot better.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Unfortunately my grandfather passed last month, leaving his late 1800's two family home to my father. At some point I will be moving into the second floor of the home where my grandparents lived and father grew up. While inspecting the home, I found two ceiling medallions above the drop ceiling, one in the dinning room and the other in the sitting room. There is also tin ceiling in the kitchen. I will be doing some renovations upon moving in and had a question. What colors were ceiling medallions and tin ceilings typically painted?
u7emu7an.jpg
eha6ahe4.jpg
vyva3e2e.jpg

My sympathies for your loss JonnyO, but congrats on the house. And kudos to you for wanting to keep all that stuff. I've been in building for nearly 30 years and it's few and far between the folks who keep and restore. The number of stainless and marble kitchens shoved into vintage homes is gut-turning.
To answer your question, almost any color you want. Ceilings are usually white, tin ones included, for it's room brightening quality, but I have seen many different colors used, although they were always extremely light, as if maybe someone had poured a pint of color into 10 gallons of white. This can look very nice when the ceiling is a whitened out shade of the same color as the walls. I have also seen several examples of the ceiling matching the walls, but this has always been a very light color. The few ceiling medalions I have seen have always been the same color as the ceiling. I notice one in your pictures appears to be unpainted brass. I've never seen this around here, but it looks really nice.
As an added note, I was helping a fellow remodel a late 20s house years ago that he had purchased, and above the lay-in ceiling that had been installed were 15' vaulted ceilings with exposed oak beams and a beautiful brocaded floral fabric on the ceiling between them, and in the dining room a crystal chandelier at least 6' in diameter was still in hanging intact. He nor I could believe that someone would have put in that low ceiling and just left that there. The people who sold the place must've had no idea.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Thank you for the input dh, it is appreciated. I don't believe the one medallion to be brass, when I looked closer, it appeared to be painted a gold color, which I found interesting.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Alright, here's my vintage home. The building was built starting in 1928, but the real estate developer went bust in the 1929 stock market crash, so it wasn't finished until '31. Our apartment is decorated with with a mixture of late '30s through '50s decor and furniture.

The building's exterior (y'all better not stock me!):

View attachment 7783

The living room:

View attachment 7784

View attachment 7785

View attachment 7786

Nice place, you can't beat "The City" for vintage homes. Oakland has some nice craftsmen and bungalows, but too many bars over the windows. Do you play the bass?
Mike A

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As an added note, I was helping a fellow remodel a late 20s house years ago that he had purchased, and above the lay-in ceiling that had been installed were 15' vaulted ceilings with exposed oak beams and a beautiful brocaded floral fabric on the ceiling between them, and in the dining room a crystal chandelier at least 6' in diameter was still in hanging intact. He nor I could believe that someone would have put in that low ceiling and just left that there. The people who sold the place must've had no idea.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Why don't I ever get that lucky? All I ever find, is mice, bird nests, and bee hives!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... What colors were ceiling medallions and tin ceilings typically painted? ...

I retired several years ago as the Safety Director of a large State psychiatric hospital built in 1875. As Safety Director, I had complete run of the place and would look into every nook and crannie of the numerous buildings of the hospital. While the buildings had all been renovated several times over the years, there were many places you could find the original architecture covered by "modern" construction. Of the many places where tin ceiling tiles were still there (but now covered by other ceiling material), they were, almost without exception, painted white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24