Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

analiebe

A-List Customer
i must admit - i'm a tad envious of many of your beautiful homes & the rooms within - especially of the use of colour...

i live in a dear little early 1900s federation weatherboard (i rent it from my brother who lives & works in london) its fairly recently been restumped & painted & i was hoping for more vintage paint colours but my lovely brother put the kybosh on that so i'm living with white walls - not to be deterred though, it now just means saving up for more art and investigating the possiblity of hanging some vintage wallpaper to get around the white wall dilemma...

still at the very beginnings of a work in progress my little home is slowly getting there as i save & search for deco pieces that are not too heavy and large for my small rooms to replace the mostly late 50s furniture i've been living with until now...

anyway heres a peek at how things are at the moment...

exterior...

externalfront.jpg

hallway & bedroom...

internalhallbedroom.jpg

loungeroom...

internalloungeroom.jpg

kitchen/ dining...

internalkitchendining.jpg

i am hoping to save up enough & then to be able to convince my brother to renovate the kitchen in a more vinatgesque style as well as the tiny bathroom (which he has already ok'ed me to be able to re-tile and set up with a more deco feel - yay!)

there is also a my workroom which currently looks like a bomb hit it so i've kept the door closed on that room for now

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
What a gorgeous, charming house you've got there, analiebe. I don't understand people's fear of color; I mean, it's only paint - live with it for a while and change it if you don't like it. No big deal. Still, having said that, your place looks so lovely and airy as it is. And at least it's not that universal rental house beige. *yucky*
Maybe over time you can sneak in some soft, muted, vintage colors with the promise to re-white the walls if you ever move out.

analiebe

A-List Customer
and per request from binkie a shot of my newly acquired dressing table - i'm sure you'll note, kind sir, the handles are not original (due to the old lady who owned it having arthritis and changing them) so now i'm on the hunt for 5 handles to suit & it'll be PERFECT!

dressingtable.jpg

analiebe

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
What a gorgeous, charming house you've got there, analiebe. I don't understand people's fear of color; I mean, it's only paint - live with it for a while and change it if you don't like it. No big deal. Still, having said that, your place looks so lovely and airy as it is. And at least it's not that universal rental house beige. *yucky*
Maybe over time you can sneak in some soft, muted, vintage colors with the promise to re-white the walls if you ever move out.

thank you lovely... i don't understand the colour issue either but my brothers a rather practical fellow and i suppose figured that since he was paying for restumping/ plastering & painting he only wanted to do it once so his decision to go with neutral white.... but slowly slowly i'll negotiate - besides, at this stage at least, i'm not moving anywhere... but it IS his house and i do get to rent it at a reduced rate and i do love it dearly so i shouldn't really be complaining at all

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
analiebe said:

What are these things in the middle picture, on the sideboard? These things that are shaped like church windows with a pointed arch? The two tall things. Frames of some sort? What is within them?

analiebe

A-List Customer
they ARE old church window frames - still with the tin internal frames to hold the glass - they were bought for almost nothing at an auction by a friend who gave them to me about 18 years ago - i know absolutely nothing of their history and have been unable to find someone who can date them for me - a friend who restores stained glass wants me to get glass put in them but i kind of like them as "skeletons"

Dr Doran

analiebe said:
they ARE old church window frames - still with the tin internal frames to hold the glass - they were bought for almost nothing at an auction by a friend who gave them to me about 18 years ago - i know absolutely nothing of their history and have been unable to find someone who can date them for me - a friend who restores stained glass wants me to get glass put in them but i kind of like them as "skeletons"

They are beautiful. I like them without glass too. I would not add glass, personally.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
analiebe said:
and per request from binkie a shot of my newly acquired dressing table - i'm sure you'll note, kind sir, the handles are not original (due to the old lady who owned it having arthritis and changing them) so now i'm on the hunt for 5 handles to suit & it'll be PERFECT!

dressingtable.jpg

One day about 25 years ago the same setting was lying out on the footpath opposite my old place - but someone had lost a drawer ruining the completeness.

Alexandre.R said:
Don't be envious, think about all the cleaning it needs...:eusa_doh: I'll never find a wife who wants to live with me!!
l_e98a370f1a0523b48b0e5befb8fbaa73.jpg

There will be a few candidates around here I'm sure if you put your mind to it!

Doran said:
They are beautiful. I like them without glass too. I would not add glass, personally.

Ditto,,,beautiful objects on their own methinks..

tuppence

Practically Family
Doran said:
What are these things in the middle picture, on the sideboard? These things that are shaped like church windows with a pointed arch? The two tall things. Frames of some sort? What is within them?

Analiebe, what a cute place. I believe we had a similar side-board when I was a kid.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Alexandre.R said:
Don't be envious, think about all the cleaning it needs...:eusa_doh: I'll never find a wife who wants to live with me!!
If you can afford all that you can afford a maid... you can have her dress vintage to go with the rest ;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
analiebe said:
i must admit - i'm a tad envious of many of your beautiful homes & the rooms within - especially of the use of colour...

i live in a dear little early 1900s federation weatherboard (i rent it from my brother who lives & works in london) its fairly recently been restumped & painted & i was hoping for more vintage paint colours but my lovely brother put the kybosh on that so i'm living with white walls - not to be deterred though, it now just means saving up for more art and investigating the possiblity of hanging some vintage wallpaper to get around the white wall dilemma...

still at the very beginnings of a work in progress my little home is slowly getting there as i save & search for deco pieces that are not too heavy and large for my small rooms to replace the mostly late 50s furniture i've been living with until now...

i am hoping to save up enough & then to be able to convince my brother to renovate the kitchen in a more vinatgesque style as well as the tiny bathroom (which he has already ok'ed me to be able to re-tile and set up with a more deco feel - yay!)

there is also a my workroom which currently looks like a bomb hit it so i've kept the door closed on that room for now

Well, what a charming little place you have! Has lots of potential! Now, I'm living in a pre WWI farm house, and it lacks the built-ins and details your place has. That's mostly due to the fact it's just a farm house which means I’m lucky to have closets! lol

Now, at one point I wanted lavish art deco furniture, streamline this and streamline that, since my brother moved out, I started to feel a more traditional approach from the late 20s-early 30s would be appropriate for an old farm house. Something that's classic, yet quaint; simple, sweet and functional.

The deco pieces I have are early deco period, 1929-1932 and other furnishings are a little more "Sears" than say something more expensive. My place is small too, and I know how important it is to have smaller pieces so not to tie up all the room with furniture that belongs in a Park Ave pent house!

I would say that wall paper is the way you want to go to achieve the most pure vintage decoration. Most people hung wall paper and didn't paint much other than trim from what I understand.

Also, if you feel adventurous and very energetic, (and if you get the ok from the brother boss) see if you can strip the wood details to bare wood! And stain them in a dark or medium stain... to bring back the luster of all the wood trim in a turn of a century home isn't easy, but so worth it! There are probably layers of latex but, it can come off.

Just some suggestions and ideas to ponder regarding your future undertakings in antique home refurbishment, good luck!

Dr Doran

Forgotten Man said:
see if you can strip the wood details to bare wood! And stain them in a dark or medium stain... to bring back the luster of all the wood trim in a turn of a century home isn't easy, but so worth it! There are probably layers of latex but, it can come off.

Heavy agreement here. Unpainted wood, so that you can see the grain, with just a stain on it, is far nicer than paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner