Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Anwen

New in Town
velvetongue said:
Anwen, that's a great sweater! Sewing it closed helps it look more vintage-like and the dark green is very flattering on you. Definitely another pattern I need to put into my queue at Ravelry...

Thanks! I totally agree about closing it up, everyone at work said it looked good open, which may or may not be true (personally I think it made me look wider...) but I definitely think it looks more vintagey this way.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Anwen said:
Thanks :) It's the "Favorite Cardigan" pattern from Custom Knits - if you're on Ravelry the link to my project page is http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purpleanwen/favorite-cardigan which has a few notes and you can get from there to more info on the pattern/other people's projects :) It's lovely and comfy and only took a couple of weeks to knit up!
Wow, that's a great pattern and it seems to look lovely on just about everyone who has knitted it up.

I just finished this this weekend. I adapted the coat from a dress pattern.
4237917071_2c36938410_o.jpg

4238691796_bac3666c22_o.jpg

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies

I discovered the 'three hour sweater' on this forum and am almost finished it in a petrol blue cotton yarn. It took a lot longer than three hours but, given that it was my first attempt at following a knitting pattern, found it to be quite straight forward.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I was wondering if anybody has attempted the 'two hour sweater'? It's a very sweet 1940s pattern and there is a discussion of it on craftster.

http://hardrockzombie.livejournal.com/91559.html

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ms Sew-n-Sew said:
Hello Ladies

I discovered the 'three hour sweater' on this forum and am almost finished it in a petrol blue cotton yarn. It took a lot longer than three hours but, given that it was my first attempt at following a knitting pattern, found it to be quite straight forward.

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I was wondering if anybody has attempted the 'two hour sweater'? It's a very sweet 1940s pattern and there is a discussion of it on craftster.

http://hardrockzombie.livejournal.com/91559.html
That is super cute and I'm thinking about doing it. I don't have needles big enough, but I think I might have enough DK yarn for it.

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Fantastic! Let us know how you get on. I think I'm also going to have a go, maybe in a nice green.

kamikat said:
That is super cute and I'm thinking about doing it. I don't have needles big enough, but I think I might have enough DK yarn for it.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I really need to get into knitting again! I haven't done anything since college, so I'm not expecting to be amazing, but I'm looking forward to posting my experiments here! x

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I started the 2 Hour Sweater last night. I'm a really slow knitter and because of carpal tunnel, can only knit for an hour at a time. I managed to get ribbing for the back done, which is really good for me, time wise. I'm quite nervous, since this is the first time I've tried to make a knitting pattern larger, so I'm taking notes and writing everything down.

Ms Sew-n-Sew

One of the Regulars
Good luck, kamikat, I hope it works out for you. I've knit all the pieces of my three-hour sweater but am having real trouble seaming them - groan. Think I might 'file it' for now and get started on the two-hour one!

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
40s knit snoods

01_20_10e.jpg

01_20_10d.jpg

I knit up a couple of snoods for myself over the weekend, using 40s-era patterns I found online. I really like how they turned out! I used this pattern for the black one, and this for the cream. Both were knit on size 11 needles; the black snood is made with #3 crochet thread and the cream is leftover silk/cotton fingering weight yarn.

I have a larger post on my blog if you're interested... ;)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
This is not my personal work, but it is vintage crochet, and something to marvel at, at that!

January2010048.jpg

This bedspread was crocheted by my grandfather's older sister sometimes between 1940 and 1970. It was all but ruined in her home after her death, but my grandma was able to rescue it before it was too-far-gone (with me in mind). It was badly stained, is ripped in a few places, and had some serious rust going on.

January2010008.jpg

3 soakings in Oxy-Clean and one RIT: White Wash (which really did the most for it) later, I've gotten all stains (save two or three stubborn but light rust stains) out of it, and all I have to do is stitch up the loose parts and broken strings (which is really a lot of work, but will be totally worth it!) I'd like to do another White Wash or use some Blueing, but I hate to process the fibers too much too quickly.

I can't wait to see it on top of a robin's egg blue bedspread!

Inky

One Too Many
Lovely Maggie! how lucky it was saved and cleaned up so well.

I have a very similar crocheted coverlet made my my great grandmother's sister in my possession. Someday when I am without cats I will put it back out. Such lovely work and again so wonderful it has stayed in your family and that you treasure it!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I am trying to learn to knit. So, I attempted the three hour sweater. It isn't perfect, but it is wearable. I may knit another one in the future.

2010-NewPhotos_014_medium.jpg

I joined Ravelry too, so you can read about it there if you are so inclined.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Vintage Crochet

I have a few vintage crochet patterns, one of which is throwing me off with the yarn that is suggested. It calls for Dawn Worsted Floss. I've searched the internet for Worsted Floss and nothing. The only thing that I can figure is that it is a fingering yarn? Does anyone else have any vintage patterns that call for this and if so what do you use as an alternative?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank You.

Cassylynn

Smuterella

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I am trying to learn to knit. So, I attempted the three hour sweater. It isn't perfect, but it is wearable. I may knit another one in the future.

2010-NewPhotos_014_medium.jpg

I joined Ravelry too, so you can read about it there if you are so inclined.

Wow! When did you start knitting - thats really impressive!

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
My late GreatGrandmother, Olga, taught me how to do a basic crochet stitch when I was 11. I still remember how to do it, but I don't know anything else beyond that.
My GreatGrandmother and Grandmother crocheted all the kids and grandkids blankets when they were born, now that my Grandmother can no longer handle crocheting because of her wrists, I've decided to take on the tradition.

I have a lot to learn, but lucky for me, my Darling Grandma is sending me all of her old crochet books and patterns and I think she wants to send me her cross-stitch books too! I'm excited. I plan on taking some classes too, because those darn patterns are so hard to read! But if I can learn how to sew and make patterns, then I can also learn crochet. :D

This thread is very inspiring, all you gals have great talent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails