Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Mary

Practically Family
Wow! You are absolutely beautiful! And such lovely details. I want that pattern! Where did you get it? Is it an original or are there copies? (I would like to knit one like that. )

Miss Sis said:
089.jpg

QUOTE]

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
089.jpg

Nicely put together Miss Sis- very elegant. I have a fondness for pistachio green and white together always so fresh looking.
The pattern looks like it knitted up well too. I say this with complete envy as my latest and first project on the knitting machine is going hideously wrong.
I can truthfully say I hate Fair Isle and I hate dropped stitches! :(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I absolutely adore this jumper. The color, the buttons, the pattern- everything's wonderful :) And, of course, you always put things together perfectly! And I got to see it in real life and it's just as beautiful :D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thank you, ladies. I was pleased with how it came out too. BTW, the pattern in the front is also repeated on the back, minus the placket at the neck, of course.

Mary, it is just one of the many patterns I've picked up. I have quite a number of originals, both singly and in magazines. I've probably had it about six years or more. I just wait for inspiration to strike regards colour, yarn type, what I want to wear it with, etc. and then I'm off! Waiting to see what the next garment will be. Most likely a scarf for his nibs to go with his ski suit and a hat for me to wear with mine.

SayCici

Practically Family
Just wondering - when the ladies that sadly cannot knit or crochet, like myself, say they had something custom knit for them.. well, how do they find these people? I'd like to get an idea of the cost because, even if I learn to knit, it will be a while before I am sufficient enough to make an article of clothing (that isn't a sock or scarf).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
SayCici said:
Just wondering - when the ladies that sadly cannot knit or crochet, like myself, say they had something custom knit for them.. well, how do they find these people? I'd like to get an idea of the cost because, even if I learn to knit, it will be a while before I am sufficient enough to make an article of clothing (that isn't a sock or scarf).

My mum is a Fair Isle knitter, with her own blog, store, and books, so this is how I know:

To find these people, you simply search the online knitting communities, or go to a nearby wool store. You need to find a knitter who has a relevant area of expertise - for vintage knitting, a vintage knitter; for babies, a child's knitter; for toys, a teddybear maker; and so forth.

The sad part is that this will cost you big bucks. For a simple sweater, you're looking at upwards of $300.00. The price factors in cost of materials, time taken, complexity of pattern, and so on.

A young child could knit a pair of socks, mittens, hat, or scarf - once you can easily finish each of these projects, a sweater is next. Anyone, at any time and any age can learn to knit. It is a fun, rewarding, and useful hobby, and will cost you much less than commissioning a project will, trust me!

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
50sGal said:
Oh dear! I hit send instead of preview! These cute knits above(!!) where actually knitted by my mother in law as I cannot knit, apart from squares.
They wear taken from a 1940s pattern which i do have floating around somewhere!
Excuse the hair/face...bad head day!!!

I love them, especially the second one!!

I haven't knitted since Christmas. I tend to not be in so much of a knitting mood when the heat rolls in, but those sweaters certainly make me want to pick up my knitting needles again!

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I have a question; I am going to takea a stab at the three hour sweater soon(read: in the next three months!) I know what I want fiber wise, I would like a cotton or linen becasue of the area I live. But now I cannot for the life of me decide on a color. How do you ladies who knit or crochet choose?

Samantha

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
retrogirl1941 said:
But now I cannot for the life of me decide on a color. How do you ladies who knit or crochet choose?

I just selected a beautiful seaweed green yarn for my next sweater. It's not my favourite colour at all, but it sets off my hair, skin, and eyes.

That's normally how I choose - the same as I would for a storebought sweater. If I'm looking for multiple colours (like a scarf I just did in white, hot pink, and black), I usually look for something really striking, which is what appeals to me.

I suggest selecting a colour that makes your eyes pop! :)

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
retrogirl1941

I'm going to try my hand at knitting the 3 hour sweater also. This is going to be my first sweater, so I'm excited but really nervous! Please post updates when you get started. I'd love to read how it works out for you.

Btw ladies, here is another link to more vintage patterns. The last picture is of a knitted dress. It is gorgeous, but I can't fathom ever being able to finish a project like that!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
C-dot said:
I just selected a beautiful seaweed green yarn for my next sweater. It's not my favourite colour at all, but it sets off my hair, skin, and eyes.

That's normally how I choose - the same as I would for a storebought sweater. If I'm looking for multiple colours (like a scarf I just did in white, hot pink, and black), I usually look for something really striking, which is what appeals to me.

I suggest selecting a colour that makes your eyes pop! :)

After thinking about it for a bit, I was really loving miss sis's outfit of the green and white. So I am going for an apple green to wear with my white linen skirt and another skirt that is a light linen with stripes.

Samantha

Inky

One Too Many
Knitting Daily is offering 7 free knitted cardigan patterns (you do have to do a free sign-up, but this is a very good site for knitters):

http://www.knittingdaily.com/7-Free-Cardigan-Knitting-Patterns/

They are not vintage, but the first one is a lovely vintage style cardigan (two versions) described as:

The Katharine Hepburn Jacket by Kathy Zimmerman combines classy 1950s styling with a year-round blend of lace and tiny cables.

SayCici

Practically Family
Could you lovely knitters and crocheters help me decide which classes to take at my local JoAnns? There's an open house coming up so I want to sign up for three and thought I would do all crochet, but I'm thinking of taking the intros to both and then one of the next levels.

For knitting:
201, Socks - Working with double pointed needles, knitting in the round, shaping heels and toes
201, Cable Stitch - Following a pattern, use a cable needle, make a knitted cable

Crochet:
201, Granny square - Following a crochet pattern, making a granny square, joining new colors.
201, Ripple Technique - Following a pattern, increasing & decreasing stitches, joining new colors

If it helps, what I mostly want to knit/crochet are things like hats, headbands, scarves, and clothing (I've been pining after crocheted dresses).

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
SayCici

I don't know if this interests you, but here is a link to the most amazing website that has video tutorials on knitting. I practically learned how to knit by just watching these vidoes. I seriously only knew how to cast my yarn on, do the knit stitch and purl stitch prior to finding that site.

It helped me tremendously to learn how to knit in the round, increases, decreases, learn different bind-offs and other techniques. I've gotten much better at knitting, but still reference these video tutorials frequently.

Just thought I'd throw in another alternative and share with you what has helped me. :)

SayCici

Practically Family
Thank you! I'm sure that will be a ton of help to me! At the open house all classes are 50% off, so since I'm totally a classroom learner I thought the intro classes would be good to start off with, and then progress with tutorials and videos online. And then I figured I'd take one of the advanced levels just in case any of those things are particularly difficult to pick up on your own.

By the way, where do you guys buy your yarn? As I'm sure you've seen, I'm vegan, so I'd like to stitch with good-quality cotton (any brands you like?) or any brand that offers bamboo or other similar yarns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn