Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Inky

One Too Many
Knitted Shoulder Pads

Recently I purchased a cool Rocket Original sweater (but in green and beige) from a fellow Lounger. I love wearing it, but I felt I really needed some shoulder pads.

I could have gone out and bought some, but this is my frugal year and making do and mending, so I knit some!

I knit a 5 inch more or less square in stockinette (but it could be garter stitch as well, or even crocheted). I used a worsted weight superwash merino with size 7 needles in this example. I left long tails so I could use that to whip stitch the sides together later.

3384144682_fa6fea8121_m.jpg

I did put a thin square of cotton batting inside because I wanted them just slightly thicker, but they could work with just the knitted/crocheted square too. I basted the batting around the entire edge, as well as diagonally across the fold line to keep it from bunching up over time.

3384144572_0b915eb878_m.jpg

Fold your square on the diagonal, whip stitch the edges shut with the long yarn tails.

3383331009_9befce325a_m.jpg

voila! shoulder pads made from what I had on hand. My frugal great-grandma would be so proud of me :)

3384144806_117b55562e_m.jpg

Lorena B

Practically Family
kamikat said:
Does anyone have Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters? It just arrived in the mail today. There are quite a few projects I want to knit.
51dz4dogvtL._SS500_.jpg

Oh Kamikat, i have the same book, is just great, there are so many nice patterns in it!! I really ought to start learning knitting!!

Inky

One Too Many
Antje said:
Inky you did a greatjob, how did you think of the shoulderpads, great idea

Thanks Antje! I just got to thinking about needing pads for that sweater and sweater led to knitting and it just worked out. I was thinking last night that even old felted sweaters or old wool skirts/pants would work just as well since the edges don't fray.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
what kind of yarn for these 1940s patterns please...

Good LINKS everyone!! Just put some of these knit pattern books on my eBay watch. I recently discovered that my skin care saleslady at Nordys knits (she also tats too!) and would love to knit something vintage style for me. I've got two knitting books here as possibilities to show her.

What was the kind of yarn and what weight that was used back then?? Is there a modern and currently available equivalent?

I'm in No. California so we don't have the really cold winters but it can still get chilly. I'd like to have a Spring into early Summer season weight sweater made now, and later a Fall season weight sweater too.

Inky

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Good LINKS everyone!! Just put some of these knit pattern books on my eBay watch. I recently discovered that my skin care saleslady at Nordys knits (she also tats too!) and would love to knit something vintage style for me. I've got two knitting books here as possibilities to show her.

What was the kind of yarn and what weight that was used back then?? Is there a modern and currently available equivalent?

I'm in No. California so we don't have the really cold winters but it can still get chilly. I'd like to have a Spring into early Summer season weight sweater made now, and later a Fall season weight sweater too.

wool was probably the most common yarn used. the weight of the yarn you use will depend on the pattern/needle size/gauge (tension).

Here's a useful link:

http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/tools.html

If you want modern sizing and vintage patterns knit with modern yarn, I really recommend A Stitch In Time.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
michou1930 said:
Came out a bit short and I will have to look for the perfect dress to go with it (suggestions would be more than welcome :) )

3271300925_3135897aa7.jpg

Michou, du siehst ja super aus! Toll...und du kennst ja sicher Am Sonntag Will Mein Süßer Mit Mir Segeln Geh'n ? Das paßt ja gut auf!

Tschuß,
"Skeet"

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
And then a stranger wandered in the door....

And a stranger indeed: not only not a knitter or crocheter, but a man as well.

I just went through this thread to make sure I wouldn't obviously be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs before making the following suggestion regarding Iva Rose; she was mentioned once in passing, but no link. Of course, for those of you interested in vintage knitting, perhaps the silence is merely that of something so well-known it doesn't need to be spoken of.

I have no connection with Iva Rose, except as a very satisfied customer; when I began to do vintage golfing and vintage shooting, I knew that vintage knitting would have to become part of my life. Iva Rose is doing what she's doing (reproducing period knitting and crochet books) extremely well...and as a labor of love. I cannot praise her highly enough. And she's a wonderful person as well. Here's the testimonial I wrote for her:

8/10/2005
"I probably don't fit the expected customer profile for Iva Rose's main market--I'm a man, and I neither knit nor crochet! But I know quality and committment when I see them, and Peggy April has invested immense amounts of love and labor to revive these wonderful books. Even if you don't knit, these books offer much to beguile and inform students of the period. The marginal illustrations and covers are frequently small masterpieces, full of the "feel" and charm of their era. The social historian will have a field day with these books...and might end up with a cozy afghan or sweater-coat into the bargain! Highly, highly recommended!"

You'll find her here:
http://www.ivarose.com/home

If you've never been there before....choose a time when you can spend awhile ;)

"Skeet"

michou1930

New in Town
Thanks a lot :)

Goldwyn girl: Thank you. Love your Avatar picture btw :)

Skeet: Danke - mein Süßer wird ab morgen die Kinder zum Campen mitnehmen und ich habe frei!! Da kann ich dann vom Segeln träumen ... ;-)

Funny that you were the commenter on IvaRose.com - I do remember your comment which I read about 2 years ago. One always meets twice so to say lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Just finished my new jumper this afternoon.

From this:

March1936Jumper.jpg

I made this:

Redjumper.jpg

Unlike the photo, it is bright fire engine red. The pattern is from my March 1936 Stitchcraft magazine. I haven't pressed it yet so that might make the collar sit down more.

The thing that interested me about this pattern is firstly, that it is descibed as 'casual chic' for beginner knitters and secondly that it is knitted with the equivalent of a modern double knit wool instead of a 3 or 4 ply. It was pretty quick to knit although I had to reknit the front after accidently doing it the first time on the wrong size needles! I also had to knit the body and sleeves longer and I'm very glad I did or it would be too short for me as it is a very snug fit.

Just in time for the warmer weather..... lol

Inky

One Too Many
Beautiful, Miss Sis!! I love the fire engine red!

I am finishing a knitted lace stole for my Mom's birthday early May then I have given myself permission to knit a fire engine red jumper for myself too!

Well done!

Inky

One Too Many
Well, I finished the lace stole - only the blocking left to do before May 7th!

I am trying to be frugal and use my stash to make something from the Stitch in Time book. I have some beautiful heather lavender fingering weight yarn that should work for the Flattering Puff Sleeves sweater, but ladies, I have a question -

Do you think this would look okay with slightly longer sleeves? more just above the elbow than so short (my upper arms no longer are fit for public viewing!)?

FlatteringPuffSleeves_altColour_medium.jpg

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
I think that would be pretty. The "puff" part of the sleeve would stay the same size, you'd just bring the arm part down a few inches, yes?

(And now I want that Stitch in Time book...and I don't even knit!)

Inky

One Too Many
lazydaisyltd said:
I think that would be pretty. The "puff" part of the sleeve would stay the same size, you'd just bring the arm part down a few inches, yes?

Hi LazyDaisy! Yes, exactly, i would just make the sleeve end just above the elbow to cover all the upper arm part. You think that would look okay in this style and not ruin the line? I have been sooooo hesitant to spend time knitting a sweater to only find it doesn't fit/looks terrible! That's why I tend to knit lace stoles and shawls, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy