Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Signature Shades

jayem

A-List Customer
I'm just wondering, since many of you ladies are so talented and creative, if anybody has yet tried mixing their own nail polish/lippy/blush/foundation etc.? I tried making a nice shade lip gloss once, but it didn't turn out so nicely. I also tend to mix my nail polish colors to get that *perfect* complimenting color. If you have, what were your results... what did you use?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
sure, i do this all the time lol whenever i'v got just a tiny bit of lipstick left in the tube, i transfer it to a small plastic container (like the ones besame uses for samples) and put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds untill it melts, than mix it with a dab of vaseline to create a gloss. you can also mix diffrent sades that way ;) [/COLOR]

Snookie

Practically Family
I blend several shades of lipstick or eyeshadow, but that's on my face, not in a pot. Especially with lipstick, I start with my favorite color, then sometimes layer something brighter or darker on top, depending what I'm wearing.

I like the tip for making custom gloss in the microwave! Thanks, glamour-girl!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
If I have a shde I love and it's almost gone I put it in a pill box like the kind they sell at the drug counter.. It's perfect and it can hold several shades in the different compartments. Then you can mix them with a brush on your lips.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Real Swell Gal said:
If I have a shde I love and it's almost gone I put it in a pill box like the kind they sell at the drug counter.. It's perfect and it can hold several shades in the different compartments. Then you can mix them with a brush on your lips.
This is what I do. My grandmother did it all the time; I used to "help" her when I was little.lol Waste not, want not.
I also love the idea of making gloss- never would have thought of it. On what power level do you microwave it?

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
This is what I do. My grandmother did it all the time; I used to "help" her when I was little.lol Waste not, want not.
I also love the idea of making gloss- never would have thought of it. On what power level do you microwave it?

the lowest, just untill lipstick becomes creamy enough to mix. if you overheat it untill it's compleatly fluid, it'll get that old-lipstick-taste:eek: :eek::eek:
i love the pill-box idea though :)

Etienne

A-List Customer
I almost always buy my foundation in three shades--one that is as close as possible to my skin, one that is darker with a bit more yellow, and one that is very light. I've never found one that is perfect, so I pump out a bit more of the closest one and add a dab of the darker one to it. As the seasons change to summer, I begin mixing equal amounts and eventually end up with more of the mix being the darker color. The lighter one is wonderful around my eyes and for slowly bringing the color back around for my overall color when winter arrives. Works really well for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner