Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the difference between all those versions of HH that Sb offers?
Blattwerk, Clayton, Epsom, Metro, Ranger, Lux. I looked at the Horween website and did not see any metro or whatever. Has anybody had any experience with any of these hides?
Blattwerk is very soft & matt, very comfortable & almost a similar drape to suede but with a lot more durability and water resistance from the unique tanning method used (olives & beeswax I think) Not a great deal of pull up if any but a good leather for lighter casual jacket.

Horween Milan is absolutely amazing, all the good stuff you get with CXL but without the negatives. I personally think it's a lot better looking and more comfortable than CXL.

Horween Lux is initially like a slightly more matt CXL, it's a very substantial hide and the teacore starts showing through VERY fast. Unlike some other teacores, losing the top layer of dye doesn't appear to reduce its durability or water resistance. Horween have managed to tan the leather in a way that it retains its durability while very rapidly developing a patina and exposing the teacore. I'm selling a Horween Lux tailgunner in the classifieds currently, it's this one:
20230313_204516.jpg
20230313_202207.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes, of course. Because the 20% UK VAT is included. By the time the jacket arrives in Austria, I also pay 840 GBP + DHL handling fee because there is 20% VAT on import.
For the Tailgunner in CXSH it is about 1000 GBP (585 + 250 + 20% + DHL handling fee).

SB is more expensive for Europeans with the same leather, for UK residents it remains pretty much the same.

This would only change if SB would also deduct the 20% VAT for Europeans.

Then there is the question of whether the SB goat is comparable to the Aero goat. Unfortunately, I have not found any information.
Aero's goat has a softer hand. Simmon's Bilt's goat feels thicker and has a rougher hand. SB's goat is like armour.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@sarevook
Let's take some 600gbp jacket as an example.
As far as I understand, when buying from SB the price already includes UK VAT.
So I pay 600 for the jacket and (let's say) 50 for the shipping = 650.
When it arrives to Estonia (EU) then I need to pay both local VAT and customs taxes.
Here's the answer I got from the local customs office here in EE:
"If the sender has valued the shipment at more than €150, a customs duty rate of up to 16% and a VAT of 20% will be added in the case of clothing".
So roughly 35% worst case scenario.
I think VAT applies only to the item, but customs duty applies to both item and shipping cost? Not sure.
Anyway:
600*1.35=810
650*1.35=877.5
Let's say roughly 850gbp.
850-650 = ~200gbp in taxes.
I can get a flight both ways for ~100gbp. Another ~100gbp would allow me to live there for a few days while I fetch the jacket and explore a little bit.
So I would break more or less even.

Anyway - I already found a much better option than any of these two.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It's hard for the British companies after Brexit. They either go through the VAT number tax process or they lose business.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Blattwerk is very soft & matt, very comfortable & almost a similar drape to suede but with a lot more durability and water resistance from the unique tanning method used (olives & beeswax I think) Not a great deal of pull up if any but a good leather for lighter casual jacket.

Horween Milan is absolutely amazing, all the good stuff you get with CXL but without the negatives. I personally think it's a lot better looking and more comfortable than CXL.

Horween Lux is initially like a slightly more matt CXL, it's a very substantial hide and the teacore starts showing through VERY fast. Unlike some other teacores, losing the top layer of dye doesn't appear to reduce its durability or water resistance. Horween have managed to tan the leather in a way that it retains its durability while very rapidly developing a patina and exposing the teacore. I'm selling a Horween Lux tailgunner in the classifieds currently, it's this one: View attachment 498346 View attachment 498347
Nice jacket. I’ve got samples of Blattwerk from SB and the soft Italian horsehide from Aero. They seem very similar if not identical. The Aero soft Italian HH is especially nice.

Goel

A-List Customer
I got myself a B6 on a whim and to my surprise it's turned into my favorite winter jacket. Only thing to note is the sleeve opening is rather narrow which might not work with thicker gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters