Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing of a Aero 1930s halfbelt

mexl916

New in Town
Dear friends,

I would be very thankful if you could help me with the sizing of a Aero 1930s halfbelt.

Here are my body measurements (naked):
height: 5'8"
weight: 140 lbs
chest relaxed: 37"
chest expanded: 38.75"
waist: 31.25"

Here are some measurements of a made-to-measure shirt which fits really great:
Should to shoulder: 16.25"
Pit to pit: 20"
Waist: 17"
Shoulder to cuff (sleeve length): 24"

I'm looking for a real slim fitting jacket (I do not want to wear more than a shirt under it).

I've asked the same question to Carrie from Insurrection and Holly from Aero. Unfortunately the advised sizes differ... Carrie recommends me a 36" and Holly a 38". What do you guys think?

Best regards,
Mexl

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Go with Carries recommendation. I wanted a real slim fit, went with Aero's recommendation and had to buy another jacket because the first one was much too large for me.

This is the fit I wanted. I had to go down a size from Aero's recommendation.
IMG_0745.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Personally I would tend to go with a size 38. It really depends though on how you want the jacket to fit, keeping in mind that a jacket that fits a bit loose would be far more tolerable than one that feels too tight.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am shorter with about the same chest size and weight and I'd suggest 36 as well if you really want a tight slim fit. There is however still the matter of the arm circumference though if you want it to be slim tailored around the arm as well.

Edward

Bartender
Go with Carries recommendation. I wanted a real slim fit, went with Aero's recommendation and had to buy another jacket because the first one was much too large for me.

This is the fit I wanted. I had to go down a size from Aero's recommendation.
IMG_0745.jpg

To be fair, though, Rudie, very few of us have your figure.... I don't imagine they had someone quite as slim round the waist in comparison to the shoulders as yourself in mind....

I vary betweed a 42 and a 44 in suit jackets, depending on cut and brand. My Aeros are mostly a 42. If I was ordering a 30s halfbelt again from new (I bought mine from their sale section), I might be tempted to ask for an extra two inches in the waist (I wear a 38" waist in most trews). Either that or go up to a 44. The 42 is just fine (if you like a neat, not-quite-as-sausage-skin fit as the Luftwaffe boys) over a shirt. Add a waistcoat (which my Bootlegger, based on the 50s Halfbelt pattern as is standard with that model, can accommodate) and it's a little tight fastened. (Hopefully improving as my diet does...).

FWIW, I think I'd have to go up to a 44 in the Aero Perfecto-style MC; got to sell one of those I picked up used. Fits fine over the shoulders and chest, but too damn tight on the waistband. When I compared it to my 30s Halfbelt, the MC a full two or three inches tighter at the hem. I can only assume their fit model for that one was eighteen or Joey Ramone! ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I gave Amanda and Will my exact measurements and communicated the exact fit I wanted. [huh]

mexl916

New in Town
Thanks for your answers!

Could anybody provide me some measurements of a 36 1930 halfbelt (preferable made of FQHH). The following measurements would be interesting for me:
- shoulder to shoulder
- pit to pit
- waist

@Dr H
I think a thin shirt would not add anything noticable to the measurements ;-)

Edward

Bartender
I gave Amanda and Will my exact measurements and communicated the exact fit I wanted. [huh]

I don't doubt that.... I do think it's possible they may have allowed for "vanity sizing", which I'm sure they get a lot of folks giving. Either that or they might have assumed that it was a typo or something got misread? As I recall you do have a much more pronounced shoulder to waist drop than most of us. (Honestly, I wish I had that "problem"!). ;)

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for your answers!

Could anybody provide me some measurements of a 36 1930 halfbelt (preferable made of FQHH). The following measurements would be interesting for me:
- shoulder to shoulder
- pit to pit
- waist

@Dr H

Best bet is to contact Aero directly - they should be able to provide you with those specs.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your answers!

- shoulder to shoulder
- pit to pit
- waist

@Dr H

There is a used steer hide one for sale on the Aero site in size 36, they list the measurements as:
Sleeve 24.7"
Back 22.5"
Looks like a good deal if you want a black one!

Davo

New in Town
I imagine both will fit you. I bet I'm a full size smaller than you and I've got a 36. The fit is nice, but not super slim. if you want a very slim jacket get the 36 if not, the 38.

mexl916

New in Town
@Boyo
Thanks for your tip, I've already seen it too.

Holly mentioned the following measurements:

Size 36:
- Sleeve 24.5"
- Back 22.5"

Size 38:
- Sleeve 24.75"
- Back 23"

I'm waiting for her answer about the other measurements:
- shoulder to shoulder
- pit to pit
- waist

It would be nice if somebody else could measure his jacket for me nevertheless.

wdw

One Too Many
As Fanch says, go with what Holly says, as they'll be working to that pattern size.

There's no guarantee that that other people haven't had adjustments to the pattern, possibly even without their knowledge, knowing what we know now about the previous regime. There was someone on recently saying that his (I think) 36" HB was too tight and it turned out that it was much narrower than it should have been, for whatever reason.

mexl916

New in Town
In order to determine my perfect sleeve length, I've measured several well-fitting jackets. The measured jackets were pretty thin. How much length would you add considering FQHH and probable folding and creasing?

By the way: my perect sleeve length is 24.5-24.75".

mexl916

New in Town
In order to determine my perfect sleeve length, I've measured several well-fitting jackets. The measured jackets were pretty thin. How much length would you add considering FQHH and probable folding and creasing?

By the way: my perect sleeve length is 24.5-24.75".

Has anybody remarks to my quoted question?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy