Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snagged this Dobbs - Did I Do OK?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I have been bidding and bidding on a 60's era (Rat Pack-ish) fedora, in black, with a under 2" brim (but not stingy) for months without any success. It's been getting frustrating.

Tonight, while search Ebay I saw a listing for a Dobbs Devon at the seemingly low price of $24 plus shipping and it was a BUY IT NOW LISTING.

I jumped at it. Here is it's description:

This is a vintage 60s DOBBS black felt men's fedora, made in Canada, size 7 1/4, style is called 'Devon', matching black grosgrain ribbon band with multi colored feathers, white satin lining (has some discoloration), height 5 inches. Overall in very good condition. A very smart looking hat!

My concern was there was only one picture - this one:

hat.jpg

I can't tell very well from the pic its brim size. I also couldn't find any info on the Dobbs "Devon" model.

Did I find the deal of the decade or will I be disappointed by the quality of this hat? Obviously, the current condition non withstanding.

Let's hear from all of you who know more than I. THANKS!!!!

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
At the best of times every ebay purchase is a leap into the unknown until the package arrives. Considering the prices hats of a similar nature have been going for I would say that you did well. Many 2" and under (stingy) brimmed hats are going for up around $60 and often that seems to be because of a particular manufacturers name. However the prices on the smaller brimmed hats has doubled and in cases tripled in the last 6 months. One of my favorite hats was a score such as yours. One not so nice picture and a lesser known name lead to a inexpensive purchase. Today that hat sits closest to the door...enjoy your new find.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for the pep talk... I was hoping someone who has seen - or knew about - a Devon hat by Dobbs and if it is really from the 1960s.

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Hey Brian

Good luck with it! Looks like a relatively 'literate' description, and that bodes well. I snagged a brown Stetson a couple weeks ago that came out of the box, went right back in, and down to the local Goodwill. One lousy pic, and I took a chance. The seller didn't mention someone had run copper wire around the hat under the ribbon, resulting in a nice verdigris 'patina' on the ribbon and the hat body. Also seemed to have been 'doused' a few times and had shrunk to around a small 7 1/8. You never know!

I hate the black Golden Coach I have is too small for you, but I bet you the one you snagged will be great. Come to think of it, I need to put that hat up in classifieds, to sell or trade for a milan, maybe....

Cheers,

GC

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
simmonsgc said:
...and anyway, man...you can't really go wrong for $24. That Golden Coach would've probably cost you a little more than that ;) !

LOL....Thanks for the offer though! The seller seems to deal in all kinds of used clothing and not just vintage. So I hope indeed the description is accurate. Ill post pics when it comes.

It says Made In Canada...I didn't realize Dobbs made hats in Canada.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs were made under license in Canada for a while, seems to be '50s and '60s. I don't remember if we ever figured out who made them, Biltmore or someone else. The Devon model I'm unfamiliar with, so it's probably exclusive to Canada.

We've also seen Dobbs made under license in West Germany, too. At one time, Hat Corporation of America shipped out hats all over the world, but I suspect that after '56 or so they cut back on exports and went the licensing route.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was searching for something else today, and ran across this bit of information from Biltmore's website.

Biltmore said:
Biltmore also entered into an agreement with the Hat Corporation of America that allowed Biltmore to market hats under the Dobs [sic] and Knox labels in Canada.

In the timeline they are describing, this happened sometime between 1952 and 1956. No indication how long they were licensed to make Dobbs and Knox hats.

So, this partially answers our questions.

Brad

NeilA

Familiar Face
Well, for $24 you cant go wrong. If the sweat and liner are in good condition, I think you got a good deal there. Of course I'm quite new, so maybe theres a flaw I'm missing, but I doubt it, looking at the other posts. Good win! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Got the hat today at it looks outstanding. Pics will be forthcoming.

There is some discoloration in the logo but the band looks great - no sweat stains.

I need to brush it though because it is dusty.

It is a Dobbs Fifth Avenue...a Devon Model, made in Canada. The price tag is still inside the liner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran