Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snappy Comebacks

android

One of the Regulars
So my post about the trenchcoats the other day got me thinking. We should share our snappy responses given in response to questions about what we're wearing or why.

My first one was:

Q: Why are you wearing a hat and trenchcoat?
A: It's raining.

I'm often asked about interviewing when I wear a jacket to work. I've never thought of anything good to say, but I might try something like this in the future:

Don't be silly, if I went to an interview, I'd be wearing a suit.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
If someone asked me why I was wearing a hat and a trenchcoat, I would probably respond with something like:

"I have made a life-long pursuit of inscruitability, and my attire is entirely conducive to that pursuit."

I am a cypher, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a chewy caramel coating...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Also what not to do

As important as the right response to a snarky remark can be, the right response to a compliment is equally important, I think.
I know a fellow who prides himself on dressing nicely, though his taste is not my cuppa. But anytime someone says "nice suit," or "nice tie," he immediately flips it open to show the label. "It's a Versace. $800."
I think the appropriate response is "thank you. It's kind of you to say so."
Moral: Dressing well does not a gentleman make.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Best Snappy Comeback Ever

Lincoln sat in his office one day, polishing his boots.
Senator Sumner of MA, who was an extremely fastidious dresser, walked into the room.

Sumner: "Why Mr. President, you don't mean to say that you black your own boots!"

Lincoln: "Whose boots did you think I blacked?"

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I recently learned a word for that feeling you get when you walk away from a situation, then suddenly remember the perfect thing to say. It's "esprit de l'escalier" or literally "the wit of the stairs." It is a word that the English language borrowed from the French (obviously) to capture that feeling.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have been asked that question, 'why do you wear a hat', and about once a week or so. My answer is all dependent on the weather at the moment.

In winter, my standard answer is 'to keep my head warm'

In summer, 'to keep my head out of the sun'

In rain, 'to keep my head dry'.

And if asked by really little kids, it's 'Mind your own business, ya young squirts. Where are your parents...'

I do that cause I know I can either 'whip' em, or at least out run them! :rolleyes: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner