Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So through with COOL!

Edward

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
He didn't mean "wicked" as in "very," he meant "wicked" as in "cool."

As in, "That new PlayStation 3 is WICKED!" (or whatever it is the kids think is cool these days.) lol

That's it. A colleague here, NYC born and bred, often uses the term "wicked hot" to mean "The temperature in this room is uncomfortably high." That is fine by me. To say something is "wicked," meaning "good," however, is simply ghastly.

For Aussies "laters" as in see ya later...(my 18 year old son).

I have noticed in my own dialect a certain knowing adoption of the term "laters" as a goodbye - it's something I've encountered as a colloquilism in the East of London.

reetpleat said:
"That candle is wicked"

A specifically Northern Ireland oned is "wick" - e.g. "That film is wick" = "That movie is garbage"

PADDY said:
Probably depends on your social class, 'your era,' and also the geographical area and culture you are from [huh]

I cannot relate to any of the words (above) to be honest that I would find myself using on a day-to-day basis.

But then, there are words that I use that wouldn't feature in other people's vocabulary. As a young child, the kids in the street would use a word called "WEEKER" to say that something was 'splendid,' or 'frightfully spendid!' eg:

"Did ya see yer mon's duncher? sure it was WEEKER!!";)

(Oxford-English Interpretation: "Did you happen to spot that gentleman's trilby? it was absolutely splendid!")

lol Very much so - weeker, wick, so it is..... all of them. A lot of those peculiarly Northern Ireland terms are, as I understand it, rooted in the Gaelic, as indeed is the northern Ireland dialect in general (a small irony being that the Six Counties in general hung on the the Gaelic language as an everyday mode of communication somewhat longer than most of the rest of Ireland, and also resisted the Anglo-Norman invasion the longest.... lol ).

H.Johnson said:
I think a British version of the chart would be very different from the US chart in the 1950s, less so in the 60 and 70s and (to my hearing) the two would be very similar in the 90s and 00s. A result of globalization, perhaps.

Certainly true. The increased influence of US pop culture from the 60s onwards cannot be underestimated. Also, I seem to remember a lot of Australian terminology being popular for a while when Neighbours was at its peak of popularity, about 1988/89 or so.

LizzieMaine said:
The superlative of "shag" was "mega-shag," which was too insufferable for words.

As no doubt you are aware, this has a rather different meaning on this side of the Atlantic nowadays! :eek:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a friend who sometimes says "sexual" when she means "cool." I think that's pretty funny but I'm sure some of you will be offended. lol

I always like to walk around offended and by anything I find offensive. However, as hard as I try, I do not find that offensive.:eusa_doh:

I just find it sexual;) It is probably because I am having a sexual day chopping trees and sweating.[huh]

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I use cool and probably always will, but I usually use it in the terms of "Oh, that's cool", as if to say it is allright. It still seems to be a classic for me unlike some of the new terminology. Sweeeet or Dude just doesn't "do it" for me.:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a friend who sometimes says "sexual" when she means "cool." I think that's pretty funny but I'm sure some of you will be offended. lol

We have a sign we put out on the sidewalk in the summer -- "It's COOL Inside!" Somehow I think "It's SEXUAL Inside!" would attract an entirely different audience than we usually get.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
We have a sign we put out on the sidewalk in the summer -- "It's COOL Inside!" Somehow I think "It's SEXUAL Inside!" would attract an entirely different audience than we usually get.
"20 Degrees Sexier Inside!"

You'd have to change the name to the Gayety Burlesk, and start dressing like...can't say it, you'd slap my face. :whistling (Not that I'd mind.)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I don't mind "Awesome" if it's referring to something that truly is -- "Wow, look at that GIANT RADIOACTIVE LIZARD DEVOURING CLEVELAND!" It's AWESOME!" Entirely appropriate in that setting. But "Oooh, awesome, you got new shoelaces" or whatever makes my head hurt.

Lizzie, you always say the best things !!!!

LizzieMaine said:

And had I been drinking my juice as I was reading this one it would have been all over the keyboard. Not "COOL" I'm sure

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
A friend of mine in the 80's habitually used "jump back!" as an exclaimation of astonishment and/or approval. Don't know if that was a Valley Girl thing ("totally tubular!") or if she just made it up.

I don't think I use a lot of modern slang, but it's not because I'm trying not to do so. I think I was just a hermit in my teenage years when such talk tends to become ingrained.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
imoldfashioned said:
I don't think I use a lot of modern slang, but it's not because I'm trying not to do so. I think I was just a hermit in my teenage years when such talk tends to become ingrained.

Thank you - I was trying to come up with a way to describe myself, and you did it. I, too, was a hermit as a teenager and also really don't use much slang. [cursing will not be included as usage or mentioned since inclusion would allow me to artificially outscore everyone else].

But, when I was in my early 40s, I spent about five years working with a lady from Australia, and picked up every slang term she used. Now I don't even notice when I do use them. Of course, other people do. No worries, though, as I'm considered rather odd anyway!

I often hear slang terms now that I am completely unfamiliar with. For example, what does "my bad" mean? There's something missing, perhaps it's a subject? I can follow along with "My bad actions caused you grief?" but just starting a sentence out and then nothing?
Where did this two-word phrase come from and what does it mean to imply? Is there a reply?
She says, "My bad."
I say, "My pugnacious?"

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
BellyTank said:
"Wow, look at that sexual umbrella"
rather than,
"I'm feeling a little sexual, can I borrow a sweater".

I presume.

B
T

I do believe I'll have to slip the word sexual inappropriately into conversation with strangers now.
Working at a shooting range/ gun store should make it that much better!

"Sir, this a a very sexual, and accurate rifle"
"This pistol would be excellent for sexual, concealed carry.."

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Talbot said:
Just don't harsh my mellow:rolleyes:

Haha, I sent that in a text message the other day! Here's what I wrote:

"Dang! Did you see how he hated on me? Totally harshed my mellow!"

Yeah yeah, make fun of me all you want, but that's pretty much how I talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes