Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So through with COOL!

Edward

Bartender
This is my....boomstick! ;)

I'm fairly unoffended by most of those terms, but even as a pre-teen child, the use of "wicked" to mean "good" made me want to rip the offender's head clean off at the neck. Still does. I have no idea why, but that is truly a word which irritates me almost as much, it has to be said, as civilised people who consider it acceptable to use the non-word "normalcy" in place of "normality." :rage:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Uh, Ed? "Wicked" is rather common usage in Maine, as Lizzie occasionally reminds us, and any attempts on Lizzie's head are likely to be met with deadly force by fellow Loungers. A word to the wise, as it were.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Edward said:
I'm fairly unoffended by most of those terms, but even as a pre-teen child, the use of "wicked" to mean "good" made me want to rip the offender's head clean off at the neck. Still does. I have no idea why, but that is truly a word which irritates me almost as much, it has to be said, as civilised people who consider it acceptable to use the non-word "normalcy" in place of "normality." :rage:

"Wicked" is properly used as an adjective, thus: "Hey, that tie you got on is WICKED SHAHP!" Or at least that's the way we talk around here.

"Normalcy," meanwhile, is Warren G. Harding's one great contribution to the American lexicon.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Uh, Ed? "Wicked" is rather common usage in Maine, as Lizzie occasionally reminds us, and any attempts on Lizzie's head are likely to be met with deadly force by fellow Loungers. A word to the wise, as it were.

He didn't mean "wicked" as in "very," he meant "wicked" as in "cool."

As in, "That new PlayStation 3 is WICKED!" (or whatever it is the kids think is cool these days.) lol

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Whaddabout sexy?

Tomasso said:
next_essay_chart.gif

Sexy. I hear people interchange sexy for cool and all those other exclamations in a not definitively sexy way.

I even say it sometines :rolleyes:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Interesting how this conversation took off! Well, I'd like to ad that I'm going to do my best to not say DUDE! I sound so silly when I say it... especially dressed as I do.

My generation is nothing short of destructive to the English language and everything else they touch... I choose not to associate with "my generation" and choose to embrace the golden generation with both hands, see!

So, I'm haingin' up Dude, Cool and any other terms the Ninja Turtles would utter out of their fictional mouths, get me?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Forgotten Man said:
Interesting how this conversation took off! Well, I'd like to ad that I'm going to do my best to not say DUDE! I sound so silly when I say it... especially dressed as I do.

My generation is nothing short of destructive to the English language and damaging to ideals and morals, I choose not to associate with "my generation" and choose to embrace the golden generation with both hands, see!

So, I'm haingin' out Dude, Cool and any other terms the Ninja Turtles would utter out of their fictional mouths, get me?

It's not our generation, it's the nature of the English language. Don't believe me? I recommend reading "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The problem with "cool" is that is substitutes for other necessary descriptive phrases.
If you ask someone how a movie was and they tell you it was "really cool" they really haven't told you anything, have they?

That's my problem with "Cool."

However, if I am trying on a pair of pants and I ask Cheryl whether I look cool in these, then that is a very specific question trying to ascertain whether or not I look like an idiot, as I often do. In that context, it's fine.

"Wicked cool" is OK in any context. This is Boston. ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:

I disagree entirely. While I don't use it, and don't think just anyone should, its usage on the east coast (Boston) is old and pretty cool. Of course, i am referring to wicked smart, or wicked short, not just wicked.

"That candle is wicked"

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:

My generation is nothing short of destructive to the English language and everything else they touch... I choose not to associate with "my generation" and choose to embrace the golden generation with both hands, see!

So, I'm haingin' up Dude, Cool and any other terms the Ninja Turtles would utter out of their fictional mouths, get me?

I have spent years advertising my real estate services as "coolest homes in Seattle" to great success.So, unfortunately, my livlihood may depend on my not joining you. I advertise in the local "hipster" alternative paper.

Cool, unlike many other words, can not be tied to any one group. It seems to be pretty ubiquitous. Do cowboys say cool?

I do use sweet sometimes.

One of the latest terms I hear and use sometimes is "nice" Seems to be a matter of deliberate understatement.

Benny Holiday

About fifteen years ago my girlfriend of the time and some friends went to a swing gig in the city, and as we were returning to our cars a couple of wanna-be homeboys stopped by my girlfriend's 1961 EK Holden (think Aussie version of a '57 Chevy for you folks in the USA) and said it was 'sick'. The poor fools were pressed up against the wall and within seconds of having the lviing daylights beaten out of them before they convinced us all that 'sick' was supposed to mean 'good'!

In the years since 'sick' has become a common term, and I still hate it. It's become such a Lebanese try-hard homeboy phrase, especially 'fully sick' to describe their crappy little four-banger cars, that I nicknamed the movie "The Fast and the Furious" as "The Full and the Sick". lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
The problem with "cool" is that is substitutes for other necessary descriptive phrases.
If you ask someone how a movie was and they tell you it was "really cool" they really haven't told you anything, have they?

That's my problem with "Cool."

However, if I am trying on a pair of pants and I ask Cheryl whether I look cool in these, then that is a very specific question trying to ascertain whether or not I look like an idiot, as I often do. In that context, it's fine.

"Wicked cool" is OK in any context. This is Boston. ;)

True, cool might have become a lazy description. On the other hand, it does have a specific meaning when applied to a person, group, or certain accouterments of said people or groups, that has no easy definition. You try to define cool when applied to Marlon Brando or A jazz hipster.

Favorite use is in a poem by a famous black poet, can't remember at the moment, when describing the riots of the late sixties. He said to the effect of "cool is now hot"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany