Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The trick is finding ways to give your scars and wounds personality. I have a long, intense slash scar on my left arm I got when it was sliced open by the edge of the door on the popcorn machine years ago -- and when I see people noticiing it I tell them with absolutely straight face that it's a souvenir of the night I had to throw out a drunk who pulled a razor on me. When they recoil, I add "...but you should see what *he* looks like."

Well...so much for the mystery !

330daxf.jpg

Now it’s gone “viral”...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well...so much for the mystery !
330daxf.jpg

Now it’s gone “viral”...:rolleyes:
Social media, how it finds you out! There was a silly accident that I had, that, had it been today, I would have been teased mercilessly.
In our younger days, Tina & I were competitive ballroom dancers, during one particular dance, she was on my left side I had to reach across with my right hand, take her left hand and spin her to my right side. Tina was wearing a belt, the buckle of which, was an ornate butterfly. As she spun, the wingtip of the butterfly caught my right forearm and opened up the muscle as deftly as any surgeon.
We were whisked off to the casualty department of the local hospital, with me keeping a tight grip with my left hand around the wound, but blood was still coming through my fingers. All the while Tina was trying to keep the blood off our clothes. A few stitches, a line of steri-strips and a clean dressing sorted the injury out, then back to the ballroom. Once the stitches came out and the wound healed, you would hardly know, save for a long white line, about the thickness of a pencil line, down my forearm. We were the butt of many a joke that night, I dread to think what social media would have made of it.
On that point of social media, when you read the comments section, it makes you wonder what planet some of these people are on, or maybe, it's what substance are they on?

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
The trick is finding ways to give your scars and wounds personality. I have a long, intense slash scar on my left arm I got when it was sliced open by the edge of the door on the popcorn machine years ago -- and when I see people noticiing it I tell them with absolutely straight face that it's a souvenir of the night I had to throw out a drunk who pulled a razor on me. When they recoil, I add "...but you should see what *he* looks like."

Very imaginative. I have a small scar on my face, thankfully I'm now middle-aged enough that my smile line mostly conceals it, that I got as a toddler. It seems I was just learning to use my little potty training chair and somehow I fell off it, hitting my face on the corner of a table, cutting my face, and requiring a couple of stitches. At least this is the story my family told me, I was too young to remember. I'm still unclear as to how you fall off a potty training chair, which sits relatively low to the ground, and hit my face on the corner of a table. My dad used to embarrass the heck out of me telling that story to my friends and, worse to boyfriends, when I was a teenager. Anyone have any ideas on how I can "juice up" the story of how I got this scar instead of telling people I fell off the potty chair?

Very imaginative. I have a small scar on my face...Anyone have any ideas on how I can "juice up" the story of how I got this scar instead of telling people I fell off the potty chair?
Facial scars can be explained by any number of stories--car accident, bar fight, sliding into home plate face first playing baseball--and if it's really small you can usually add something like, "Yeah, but it's faded; you should have seen it years ago!" The more outlandish the story is, especially if you're convincing and really "sell it", the more likely it is that people won't question it because...well, who would invent a story like that? ;) It's been my experience that most people won't ask about facial scars because they consider such inquiries to be rude; a violation of the social contract that doesn't allow people to draw attention to "imperfections" in others. But if someone does feel comfortable enough to ask, just tell them you fell when you were a child and leave it at that. If they push for more information...car accident, bar fight, baseball... :cool:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Very imaginative. I have a small scar on my face, thankfully I'm now middle-aged enough that my smile line mostly conceals it, that I got as a toddler. It seems I was just learning to use my little potty training chair and somehow I fell off it, hitting my face on the corner of a table, cutting my face, and requiring a couple of stitches. At least this is the story my family told me, I was too young to remember. I'm still unclear as to how you fall off a potty training chair, which sits relatively low to the ground, and hit my face on the corner of a table. My dad used to embarrass the heck out of me telling that story to my friends and, worse to boyfriends, when I was a teenager. Anyone have any ideas on how I can "juice up" the story of how I got this scar instead of telling people I fell off the potty chair?

When you were two years old, your grandmother gave you a pet alligator for Christmas. You named him "Gladstone", and he was your bestest pal growing up. One day you were wrestling him in the backyard and the battle got so rambunctious he accidentally nicked you with the razor-like scales on the edge of his powerful tail. Your parents were horrified and threatened to send him away, but you stood braveley between them and Gladstone and told them he would forever be your friend. And they backed down, and you and Gladstone lived happily ever after.

And then you tell them "And Gladstone is with me yet. Would you like to meet him?" and reach for your bathroom door.

When you were two years old, your grandmother gave you a pet alligator for Christmas. You named him "Gladstone", and he was your bestest pal growing up. One day you were wrestling him in the backyard and the battle got so rambunctious he accidentally nicked you with the razor-like scales on the edge of his powerful tail. Your parents were horrified and threatened to send him away, but you stood braveley between them and Gladstone and told them he would forever be your friend. And they backed down, and you and Gladstone lived happily ever after.

And then you tell them "And Gladstone is with me yet. Would you like to meet him?" and reach for your bathroom door.

Well done - you are quite impressive. And "Gladstone" perfect, absolutely perfect, name.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I'm going to say something that sounds arrogant but is just something I've been told forever: I have nice legs. And I have a scar on my left knee but it's really faded, so it doesn't bother me. And I have a small shaving scar on my left ankle, which I never see because it's on the outside, so I don't think about it. But walked right into a metal trailer in December and I didn't break the skin, but it left a brown spot I am not happy about. It is right on the front of my left leg (why is it always the left one???) and so visible. I need a story to tell myself so I feel better about it. It happened simply because I was in a hurry and not paying attention in the dark. It's a reminder of my stupidity and especially painful because I had already walked into a box on the floor at work that day, and was suffering a concussion. Then I went home and smacked into something else at knee level. I am my own worst enemy.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I need to clarify that I got a concussion because I fell over the box, bounced back and landed on my bottom. It jarred my spine--which is already unstable--sufficiently to bounce my brain around a little bit. I have a history of these, so I'm really susceptible. So that's how you trip over a box and end up with a concussion. See what I mean?

...It is right on the front of my left leg (why is it always the left one???)...
I wonder about that myself. Except for spraining my right ankle once, a thin scar on my right forearm, and an appendectomy, the injuries I've incurred over the years were all on the left side of my body. Dislocated knee, partially dislocated shoulder, broken forearm, a small scar near the outer corner of my eye, scars on my index and middle finger as a result of getting my hand caught in a moving conveyor belt (long story). Even a herniated disk in my lower back resulted in--you guessed it--chronic pain in my left leg. What's up with that??? o_O

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I have a scar above my left eye . Cannot tell from my photo
I have posted here.

I used to wear eyeglasses similar to the ones LizzieMaine
wears, but in gold metal frame.

During a fist fight I was punched in the eye,
the metal frame cut into the skin.

The reason for the fight:
It was my first job & I had just gotten paid.
After work, I went to the bakery and bought
a nice loaf of bread for my ma who was preparing the
Thanksgiving dinner.

I mentioned to everyone that the bread was for the feast
& not to touch it until then.
But someone in the family decided to do otherwise on purpose
& a fight ensued.

The only other scar is on my lower back.
I got that scar from an old nail sticking out by the door.

I was lying on my stomach on top of the car inside the garage.
Kids do that for no reason sometimes.

I fell asleep .
My dad got into the car to go somewhere.

As I woke up, not realizing for a second where I was and
not reacting fast enough,
the nail above the garage door slashed my back as the car
made the exit.

No one has yet to ask me about the scar on my face.
Quite the opposite with the other one.
Women are very inquisitive!

I can’t think of any stories to make up that would be better than
the truth! :(

Last edited:

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I always tell the true story. They are funny. I've been accident-prone since birth. I fell off the changing table and fell out the back door (as a toddler), down some steps. It just went on from there...

Jake, nice avatar. You say you're many years older than me, but you are not. Maybe 10, if that.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I always tell the true story. They are funny. I've been accident-prone since birth. I fell off the changing table and fell out the back door (as a toddler), down some steps. It just went on from there...

Jake, nice avatar. You say you're many years older than me, but you are not. Maybe 10, if that.

Much oblige my friend.

After I passed the half-century point, I stopped counting
since they are just numbers...
it’s how I feel that counts & I still get a kick out of doing
things like riding a bike, hiking or playing tennis.

Last edited:
Maybe, as a wearer of glasses, you know that:

Sometimes, there are some days, successive, on them your glasses (no made-to-measure) will just not fit correctly, equally if cleaned or not, and you are getting nerved, angry to annoyed by headaches.

I still don't know, what's the reason behind this. Actual, since some days, it's all fine and my glasses are "peaceful". Maybe, at the special days, the head is bigger, the skin is reacting another way, nervs are more sensitive, air-pressure is changing or whatever it is.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I've had contact lenses for 25 years because I don't like glasses sitting on my face. Also, vanity, quite frankly (though now as an adult I don't mind the way I look in glasses).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've had contact lenses for 25 years because I don't like glasses sitting on my face. Also, vanity, quite frankly (though now as an adult I don't mind the way I look in glasses).

I wear contacts only for playing tennis.
Otherwise it's mostly tortoise-shell
frames.
I like the RayBans but only for a small duration.
Longer periods & I get sore marks by the nose
area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR