Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

I'm torn on "colorized" stills and motion pictures originally in black-and-white.

The people who made the pictures originally knew the limitations of the medium. They played to its strengths and steered clear of its weaknesses. They likely would have done things differently had they been working in color.

But provided the originals aren't destroyed in the process, it's no skin off my nose if the images are colorized.

Some see it as an affront to the original makers' intent, and therefore something of a crime against the art and the artist. I understand that sentiment, although I'm not in complete agreement.
The only real objection I have to "colorization" of black and white movies and photographs is that it's a waste of time and money. What I mean is, I've never seen any finished "colorization" projects that were an improvement on the original material. A good movie is a good movie, and a bad movie is a bad movie; adding color doesn't change that. I'd much rather see these artists spend their resources on restoring those projects to their original glory.

This is probably not trivial, bit has really been irking me a lot: the unevenness in doctors and care that people get. I keep meeting women who while receiving the same "basic" care that I received for breast cancer, aren't getting the same level of care I'm getting from their doctors.

This includes a woman who when she was originally staged (when they diagonosis you) not getting a CT or a bone scan despite having a large tumor and a woman who's complained multiple times about pain in her arm (I suspect lymphadema) not getting a physical therapist referral.

I am incredibly fortunate that my OB hooked me up with *the best* in my area, but it really breaks my heart to see these women not getting the aggressive care I've had and in some cases, I'm the one informing them about the care available. They aren't seeing bad doctors persay, but they're not seeing proactive ones either.
Whenever I hear stories like this, it immediately makes me wonder how much of this is due to the patients' insurance policies; more specifically, which medical procedures their insurance companies will or won't approve. A good doctor knows what's best for his/her patient, but some pencil-pusher in an office miles away who knows nothing about medical care ultimately gets to override that doctor's recommendations? It makes no sense to me.

^^^^
And too many physicians and other health care providers are less than forthcoming about the degree to which we all dance to the insurance companies' tune.

A procedure I will very likely get at some point (provided I don't die first) is awaiting a consistent test result that puts me below a certain threshold. I'm scheduled for this test every couple of years. If I fall below a certain number, I get retested three months later, to determine if that earlier result is anomalous. So, I've had the test a total of maybe half a dozen times over the past couple-three years. I get a low number. Three months later I get a higher number.

It would be to the insurance company's benefit if I were to die. And I am under no illusions that the company isn't hoping for such an outcome for me and all us other expensive cases. They lose money on us.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
And too many physicians and other health care providers are less than forthcoming about the degree to which we all dance to the insurance companies' tune.

A procedure I will very likely get at some point (provided I don't die first) is awaiting a consistent test result that puts me below a certain threshold. I'm scheduled for this test every couple of years. If I fall below a certain number, I get retested three months later, to determine if that earlier result is anomalous. So, I've had the test a total of maybe half a dozen times over the past couple-three years. I get a low number. Three months later I get a higher number.

It would be to the insurance company's benefit if I were to die. And I am under no illusions that the company isn't hoping for such an outcome for me and all us other expensive cases. They lose money on us.

...It would be to the insurance company's benefit if I were to die. And I am under no illusions that the company isn't hoping for such an outcome for me and all us other expensive cases. They lose money on us.
The insurance companies lose money on us, while the pharmaceutical companies get rich off of us. What a racket!

^^^^^^
Oh yeah. The insurance company loses money on us falling-apart older people in no small part because of the cost of the prescription drugs we consume. I have one medication with a retail price in excess of $900 a month.

A friend with Hep C is still waiting to get "sick enough" to qualify for the new drug therapy that effectively cures the disease in most patients. Eighty grand is the retail price, and she just doesn't have that kind of scratch.

Patients, friends, doctors, insurance agents, nurses, family - on all sides of the political spectrum - all complain aggressively about our healthcare system. That's my personal, anecdotal experience. No one, not one person says its great, the best, etc. - they all (myself included) complain. I have heard the media and the government, sometime, say what Lizzie says they keep telling us "Best healthcare system in the world," but not one person in my life that touches the system in anyway and that come from all political persuasions feels that way.

Hercule

Practically Family
Guy Lombardo "Electronically re-channeled for Stereo".

Good god, the vibrato isn't bad enough?!!

I'm torn on "colorized" stills and motion pictures originally in black-and-white.

The people who made the pictures originally knew the limitations of the medium. They played to its strengths and steered clear of its weaknesses. They likely would have done things differently had they been working in color.

But provided the originals aren't destroyed in the process, it's no skin off my nose if the images are colorized.

Some see it as an affront to the original makers' intent, and therefore something of a crime against the art and the artist. I understand that sentiment, although I'm not in complete agreement.

Was it Orson Welles that told Ted Turner to "keep your crayons away from my films"?

A similar thing is seen in the "classical" music world, whereby vocal pieces are translated from their original language into English. While admittedly some translations are more successful than others, it still is a gross disjunct from the relationship between the text and the music that the composer crafted. The most egregious in this regard tends to be pre-classical (pre 1750 or so) music. Baroque (especially early Baroque) and Renaissance music is much more intimately aligned to the ebb and flow of the rhythm of the text such that it was largely a determining factor to how the music itself was written. Pairing up a translated text to the music, if not carefully done can be akin to substituting sugar for salt. But as I said some translations are better than others, as can be readily seen with 19th century translations of 17th century hymns, which are more paraphrased adaptations than necessarily straight text translations.

Patients, friends, doctors, insurance agents, nurses, family - on all sides of the political spectrum - all complain aggressively about our healthcare system. That's my personal, anecdotal experience. No one, not one person says its great, the best, etc. - they all (myself included) complain. I have heard the media and the government, sometime, say what Lizzie says they keep telling us "Best healthcare system in the world," but not one person in my life that touches the system in anyway and that come from all political persuasions feels that way.

One question:
Are there still nurses at the USA, wearing that old-fashioned nurses-dress with that nurses-hood on their head?

Believe it or not, I asked a nurse about 40 years ago, when I was a kid, why they didn't wear the hats anymore (though she was wearing the traditional dress). Her answer was simple: patients, particularly children, knock them off all the time. I haven't seen a nurse in anything other than scrubs in a long time. My doctor wears jeans and cowboy boots, but that's probably pretty common in Texas.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There were also concerns that the traditional nursing cap, with its many intricate folds, was, unless laundered daily, a harbor for airborne germs. The same rationale is in the process of driving the long necktie out of most male health workers' wardrobes.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yep. "Best healthcare system in the world" -- they keep telling us.
I think Cuba has the best healthcare system in the world, probably followed by Norway & Sweden..
Looking at America's healthcare from outside, it isn't exactly considered one of the best. It's seen as being very unjust in that if you can't afford it, you don't get it. :rolleyes:

I think Cuba has the best healthcare system in the world, probably followed by Norway & Sweden..
Looking at America's healthcare from outside, it isn't exactly considered one of the best. It's seen as being very unjust in that if you can't afford it, you don't get it. :rolleyes:

As far, as I know, Cuba got still these more or less real "foresight"-system, not the market-economie's "caregiving"-system, working for the pharma-industrial-complex.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whenever I hear stories like this, it immediately makes me wonder how much of this is due to the patients' insurance policies; more specifically, which medical procedures their insurance companies will or won't approve. A good doctor knows what's best for his/her patient, but some pencil-pusher in an office miles away who knows nothing about medical care ultimately gets to override that doctor's recommendations? It makes no sense to me.

So, while I think some of this is true, in a lot of cases I've learned that there is a lot of leeway in what is covered.

My lymphadema pump would be covered IF I failed 3 cheaper pumps (which don't work) and decongestive therapy. My physical therapist got my pump covered at the first shot. It took A LOT of her time (hours) but she got it covered.

I've had a number of things covered this way. It doesn't work if they flat put won't cover something, but I've had some things covered that I had no hope of, thanks to having good doctor's offices. And this is something I really credit the office staff and my pt with... my doctors (for the most part) aren't spending hours on the phone with my insurance.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I get annoyed at people who place their kids into PJs for a *not-that-late* event. For instance, I know a lot of parents who make their school-aged children change into their pajamas after their 5pm swimming lessons. Or who take their school-aged children to the post office at 3pm in their pajamas on a school break. (I'm talking about developmentally normal and healthy kids and patterned behavior by the parents; not a rare occurrence.)

I have no idea why but the idea of making my child wear their sleepwear out of the house bothers me. Or making them wear their PJs to a meal and then making them sleep in PJs with food traces on them.

"hey kid, you're 8 years old but I'm going to make you wear your ratty batman PJs home so all your friends can think you have a 6pm bedtime..."

I am totally down with making your kids change into PJs before the long car ride home late at night, but this isn't it. And the older kids look downright embarrassed sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace