Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Most of them seem to wear hospital scrubs now. I only see the old-fashion nurse's outfits at Halloween and on women that don't actually look like nurses. ;)
Ah yes Halloween. Sexy Nurse or Slutty Nurse? The difference, Sexy wears a mini skirt, halter top and a hat, the later wears a mini skirt, hat, a stethoscope and two strategically placed red crosses! :confused:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I've seen "Slutty Male Nurses". In fact I,ve known some, and believe me they do not need a costume of any sort.

That said, it appears that a "Sexy Male Nurse" costume does exist as an item of commerce. I looked it up. Disturbing. I' psd advise you not to do the same, for things cannot be un-seen.

I'm ticked off by the colonization of Halloween by adults, who've taken a simple kids' holiday and turned it into an occasion where women are expected to dress up in sleazy "male gaze" costumes. Or has someone actually seen a "Slutty Male Nurse" costume?

The booze industry has yet to see a holiday it wouldn't co-opt.

Halloween is a natural for this sort of treatment. Same with St. Patrick's Day. And every hard-partying lush is an honorary Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.

Many is the biblical scholar who can be found praying at the porcelain altar on Fat Tuesday who couldn't tell you the first thing about Good Friday. (But I suspect that the makers of America's favorite recreational drug are working on that as well. What better to imbibe on that day than a Rusty Nail? And how about two days hence? A Tequila Sonrise, anyone?)

I'm ticked off by the colonization of Halloween by adults, who've taken a simple kids' holiday and turned it into an occasion where women are expected to dress up in sleazy "male gaze" costumes. Or has someone actually seen a "Slutty Male Nurse" costume?

By the way. Last week, Leipzig:

And there, I recognized, that in compare to 2013/2014/2015, there are less teenage cosplayers and more 20+, 30+ cosplayers, for real.

Like some photos?? :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Many is the biblical scholar who can be found praying at the porcelain altar on Fat Tuesday who couldn't tell you the first thing about Good Friday. (But I suspect that the makers of America's favorite recreational drug are working on that as well. What better to imbibe on that day than a Rusty Nail? And how about two days hence? A Tequila Sonrise, anyone?)

Best line of the day.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Second day in a row that I was stood up by the garage estimate guy! No call back or text today. What's really bad, my neighbor was home and told me to send the garage guy his way when I was done. That's two jobs he missed out on. I am really getting tired of all these stupid workers, that are too busy for me!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The booze industry has yet to see a holiday it wouldn't co-opt.
The greeting card industry is just the same.
Halloween is a natural for this sort of treatment. Same with St. Patrick's Day. And every hard-partying lush is an honorary Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.)
They are missing a trick. Last Sunday was the day dedicated to single guys but as yet, no one has cottoned onto Palm Sunday.

Second day in a row that I was stood up by the garage estimate guy! No call back or text today. What's really bad, my neighbor was home and told me to send the garage guy his way when I was done. That's two jobs he missed out on. I am really getting tired of all these stupid workers, that are too busy for me!

We are doing a home renovation project and have learned that many vendors, dealers, tradespeople don't call back, show up, etc. All I can conclude is that everyone's business is so successful that they don't need more business. We just tried to hire a company to help do some smoke damage cleanup.

One company I called was "very excited to win my business and said he'd come over when I was ready for an estimate." He went on to explain that his business was a family affair and that they only survived by reputation, "so please gives us a chance to win your business." When I called him back three days later to set up a day and time for him to come in, I left a message on his voice mail two days in a row and, now, a week later, still haven't heard back.

This goes on all the time. Appliance dealers who don't call back - we practically begged one to take our money. Window companies, tile companies, plumbers, electricians - we've had to chase down or have been ignored by all of these. To be fair, we've had some great experiences with companies that are reliable, seem to truly want your business and truly do a good job at a fair price, but we were stunned at how many seem not to care about getting business.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We are doing a home renovation project and have learned that many vendors, dealers, tradespeople don't call back, show up, etc. All I can conclude is that everyone's business is so successful that they don't need more business.
That attitude is not unique to your side of the pond, I can promise you.

When using Internet Explorer, the self correction program always defaults to Brit speak, especially in the use of words that are spelt slightly different, such as Traveller, (two 'L's) Favour (with a 'U') and recognise ('S not Z) Google Chrome does the exact opposite. I will type out a word and Chrome changes it, like I'm a naughty boy for not paying attention in the English class. So trivial, so annoying so damn exasperating. Sometimes I wonder, when a student from a non English speaking country is learning the language, which form of spelling do they adopt?
By the way, Chrome doesn't like spelt, it changed it to spelled.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That attitude is not unique to your side of the pond, I can promise you.

When using Internet Explorer, the self correction program always defaults to Brit speak, especially in the use of words that are spelt slightly different, such as Traveller, (two 'L's) Favour (with a 'U') and recognise ('S not Z) Google Chrome does the exact opposite. I will type out a word and Chrome changes it, like I'm a naughty boy for not paying attention in the English class. So trivial, so annoying so damn exasperating. Sometimes I wonder, when a student from a non English speaking country is learning the language, which form of spelling do they adopt?
By the way, Chrome doesn't like spelt, it changed it to spelled.

Have you checked “System Preferences” under “Language & Region”.
You can set your computer to the preferred language as your default.

Or perhaps Google Chrome has it’s own settings as far as preferred languages.
Among the options are English & also British English.

Be warned:
One time I clicked on a foreign language by accident.
Took a while to bring it back .

I have opted to not use the “auto-correction”

Noww whin I typess a massage, ders no corrrrecction.
Ya just hav to udderstands whut I wrot to youse! :confused:o_O

Leo Gorcey of the Dead-End Kids/Bowery Boys
would've understood! :D

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Spelt is also the name of a type of grain, so the spell-check ought to allow it. Otherwise, trying to type out Ezekiel 4:9 would be ridiculous. "Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelled, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof..." Why does Chrome hate obscure Old Testament quotes?

Spelt is also the name of a type of grain, so the spell-check ought to allow it. Otherwise, trying to type out Ezekiel 4:9 would be ridiculous. "Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and spelled, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof..." Why does Chrome hate obscure Old Testament quotes?

Ah, spelt is old-fashioned "Dinkel". :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace