Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Boston would be one of them. The other is D.C.

Where I grew up. If I wanted to cross the street (not at the corner) I would wait &
at the first chance I would cross.

In Beverly Hills, it was just the opposite . The cars would stop & signal me to cross over.
This was unnerving & sometimes it would tick me off. I was not used to this "courtesy".

In some parts of Mexico, it is common for the traffic to ignore the stop signs completely.
And honking the horn is part of driving. While at home...applying the horn is tantamount
to creating a situation which is known as "road" :rage:

Last edited:
Where I grew up. If I wanted to cross the street (not at the corner) I would wait &

In Beverly Hills, it was just the opposite . The cars would stop & signal me to cross over.
This was unnerving & sometimes it would tick me off. I was not used to this "courtesy".

In some parts of Mexico, it is common for the traffic to ignore the stop signs completely.
And honking the horn is part of driving. While at home...applying the horn is tantamount

In most parts of the world, the horn is used as intended, as a signal to get someone's attention or make sure they see you. Only here is it seen as a challenge to one's manhood.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd prefer the Beverly Hills mode, in that regard, anyway, although I'm confident I would find many of the cultural norms there considerably less agreeable.

As to all that honking ... One's chances of survival are considerably higher in places where drivers don't confuse the horn button for the brake pedal. Horns are for alerting others to an immediate hazard -- not for signaling disapproval for some transgression that has already occurred, nor for the taxi driver to notify his customer (and all his customer's neighbors) that he has arrived.

Try crossing the street in Rome and see what happens. lol lol lol I think they TRY to hit you. :p

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Try crossing the street in Rome and see what happens. lol lol lol I think they TRY to hit you. :p
Rome? Some spots in Italy are a horror! And for obvious tourist it is even worse! We had a friend we had to rescue while he and his buddies were on a vacation to that part oif the world. They have some rather "odd" outside restrooms, and our friend went into one while the rest of the gang with him was waiting. They waited for about 25 minutes and decided they should have checked to see if anything was wrong? Yep....our friend, Mark, had been robbed at knife point, and they took everything....clothing and all. His passport, airfare ticket, hotel room key, everything. So they had no way to even get him out as they had nothing to "cover him" with. Eventually someone went to a Church building that was near, and came back with a old wool blanket, like a army blanket to wrap around Mark. As he was walking barefoot out of this area, people were looking at him, he had sort of long hair, and a beard...wrapped up looking a bit like Jesus! LOL! A Parish Priest was helping everyone get back to the Church building so the authorities could be notified and to figure out what to do in getting a new passport issued. They all commented on how walking across the street, drivers almost did run them all over, and the horn honking was to "get out of the way".....this was the second nasty event that had taken place in a few days, as before everyone was in Italy, they had been in London and had a run in with some "hooligans" there....but yes...Mr. Powers, some drivers in Rome will actually aim for you to make you jump or move out of their way...

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In most parts of the world, the horn is used as intended, as a signal to get someone's attention or make sure they see you. Only here is it seen as a challenge to one's manhood.
In Britspeak, having the horn is slang for an erection, whilst a woman with well endowed chesticles, will often have her charms referred to as: "Hooters."

In the 1950's there was a woman who called herself an actress, a tenuous description for one who never spoke a part. Her name was Norma Sykes, not a memorable moniker, so she rebranded herself as: Sabrina. No other name, just Sabrina, and she happened to have a natural bust size in excess of 40 inches.

When you see cars of a certain vintage, you will often see that they have chromium plated horns that are mounted outside, usually under the headlamp bar, and very attractive they look too.

The owner of a car like mine, named his car Sabrina, he was rather taken by the name that my wife called our car, that being Jessica: A redhead, with a great body. He called his car Sabrina, and rather beautiful she is too. You can read his blog about his car here. But if you can't be arsed, I'll give you the spoiler. It goes along the lines of:
"Phoar, look at the hooters on that!"

Nobody does Road Rage quite like the Russians. :p
While this clip is entitled Russian Mafia, it looks more like just a road rage incident to me because when the car doesn't stop for the pedestrian at the crosswalk he throws something at it precipitating the incident.

[video=youtube;935bj64uOEA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935bj64uOEA[/video]

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Oh, the Boys will get theirs. They've been getting ours for way too long.

I propose a more immediate solution.
Little Lizzie 0.jpg Little Lizzie VIII.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Judging by the number of people that shoot out of side streets in front of me, I am quite sure, it is a felony to come to a complete stop at a stop sign here! :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd prefer the Beverly Hills mode, in that regard, anyway, although I'm confident I would find many of the cultural norms there considerably less agreeable.

Beverly Hills first Time;

First day off, (dressed in tennis attire) I decided to stroll around & check out the "hood".

1st block : only people around are gardner's tending to the yards.
2nd block: Stopped by Beverly Hills police.

{Jake} "officers, It's my day off & decided to take a stroll & see if there are public tennis courts around &
probably stop at a local StopNGo for a soda." :D

Beverly Hills cops are polite but have no sense of humor. :mad:
But after a complete check up & verification from the staff at WB Studios, they let me go.

The following block I spotted 3 elderly gents in tennis attire & I asked where was the closest tennis
courts for the public.

I coulda been speaking in martian...they just stared for awhile.

Finally one of them noticing my tennis warmups I was wearing asked:
"you any good ?"

"I've won several amateur tournaments." I replied.

Turns out these players were lawyers for Eva Gabor & were there while she was out of town.

I did pretty good & they were very happy that they invited me to the Polo Lounge at the Hilton.
And wanted me to join the group on a regular basis.
I never did show up afterwards.

A round of drinks would've been my whole salary (at the time) besides, I was not too comfortable hanging
around $$$ anyway.

... the cultural norm there is totally different indeed ! :cool:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Nobody does Road Rage quite like the Russians.

Ain't that the truth, even their bus drivers. Watch the bus on the inside lane, and watch the pedestrian who nearly had to go home and change his pants.

[video=youtube;CdHKaZnq5hk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHKaZnq5hk[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou