Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My favorite is when you call a business and they answer "hello."

So, then, yes, I ask "Is this such and such business?"

(I am, for the record, not talking about things like etsy businesses, but instead medical billing, physical office, etc. type of places. The type of places where the person is not using their personal number.)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^^^
On the opposite scale is this:

"Hello, my name is Mary, how can
I make your day better?"

(I get this from my bank and I'm not complaining. But for a nano second, it makes me pause, before I answer almost apologizing with "Thank You Mary!"
Since most businesses usually
answer with, "hello!".

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
It may work differently in The States, but I doubt it. An unlisted number in the UK is known as: Ex-Directory. The number won't show up on the screen of any phone you call, land-line or cell phone. Instead it will say: Number withheld. Marketing companies use number withheld ploy too, that way they hope that you answer your phone.
They get your number in many and varied ways. If you use a credit or debit card, and there's a compulsory field for your various phone numbers, on the application form, you can be sure that your information has been sold on. This is then compounded if you have purchased off the internet, that compulsory field again. Then you have store loyalty cards. Loyalty, that's a laugh, they are no more than a fishing net with which to trawl for your personal details, that can then be collated into a profile and sold on, again and again.
Time was, you saw something you liked, paid your cash, took your purchase, deal done. Now you have to give them your details, because, you know, in case there's a warranty claim or some other B/S excuse. It's this harvesting of information and selling it on that's the bane of our lives, and the source of what cold canvassers need.
All junk mail to my house gets an immediate, return to sender and mailed back, let them pick up the postage cost. And for years, on those compulsory fields, I've not given anything but the essential.

Here's what I did. I got a phone number with Google Voice and didn't redirect it to either my land line or mobile number. That way I can give a legitimate phone number which will answer and take a message. I just don't bother to check them. They can call me a million times at any time of day or night, and it doesn't bother me a bit!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It’s called “Luan's Platter” @ Luby’s Cafeteria.
No kidding.
Half price for half portions of what’s on the menu.

But even then, I can’t finish what’s on the plate.
I usually take it home to Polo.

Hercule

Practically Family
A couple of annoyances for a Monday morning.

Bosses who never miss an opportunity to be an ass.

and (as I'm in a alliterative mood),

petty pontificating potentates who proffer veiled threats under the guise of "just sayin".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A couple of annoyances for a Monday morning.

Bosses who never miss an opportunity to be an ass.

and (as I'm in a alliterative mood),

petty pontificating potentates who proffer veiled threats under the guise of "just sayin".
I'm a great boss, just follow my rules to the letter, and all will be fine! No eating, sleeping, going to the bath room, or dying on company time! ;)

I feel bad for telemarketers. It's a rotten, joyless, desperate job where the workers are treated worse than serfs, and they're just trying to scratch out a living like anyone else. So I'm not sarcastic to them

I also hope to avoid making the telemarketer's day any more miserable than it already is.

I don't answer calls from numbers I don't recognise which avoids unpleasantness for both of us. :D

I always ask people whose number is not on my phone to text me first before calling. Or alternatively, I'll run the number on 800Notes or WhoCalledMe and if it's legit and important I'll call back. Most of the calls I get (and don't answer) seem to be from telemarketers or scammers from all over the place. I even got one from Egypt not too long ago.

On a few occasions, I've seen a post before it was deleted - not for profanity but for politics - and, even though it is absolutely appropriate, there is something Orwellian about it. It's there, then it is ruled not acceptable and down the memory hole it goes.

I have no quibble with the way administrators moderate their sites. It's their sandbox, I'm just allowed to play in it. I'm just admitting that I've spent half my life in a baseball dugout, I'm not only used to profanity, but it has this odd sort of soothing quality for me.

I have no quibble with the way administrators moderate their sites. It's their sandbox, I'm just allowed to play in it. I'm just admitting that I've spent half my life in a baseball dugout, I'm not only used to profanity, but it has this odd sort of soothing quality for me.

I've worked on Wall Street trading desk my entire career and, up until the last decade, profanity was the lingua franca. Like you, it doesn't bother me at all and I can function quite comfortably in that world, but fully appreciate and respect that it would not work in a forum like this.

As someone who's been called the C-word to my face on the Lounge by a self-professed "gentleman," the Memory Hole isn't anywhere deep enough.

I am sorry you experienced that, but know two things, (1) you know that it reflects only on the speaker and (2) if ever I knew a strong person, it's you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats