Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
he
Why is Photobucket such a horrible site?

Yes, it's free (advertising supported), but so are thousands of other sites - and so is network TV - and they all work dramatically better than Photobucket.

The site

-- is down frequently

-- is incredibly slow half the time (and just not-slow the other half)

-- has beyond aggressive pop-ups (that work despite all my pop-up blockers)

-- slows my computer down and occasionally freezes it (and almost no other site does this)

-- stops working in the middle of being used

-- even when working, has poor functionality

I hate it.

Yep, that sounds like good old Photobucket. :D......when I first started to use it in 2012 it was great, smooth, rapid & easy to use, they changed their interface about a year after that which not only made it more difficult to use (by noobs like me anyway) but much slower & with fewer options. I guess it was working too well & a few geeks got together & said what can we do to **** up this site. Nowadays it's just an adware junk yard, you have to be really determined to do anything on it & not mind having to switch your computer off at some time during the proceedings as it has blocked everything. Unfortunately I have hundreds of photos on there & many I wouldn't like to lose but transfering them elsewhere is such an ordeal that I have to reserve at least an hour to successfully move just one photo. I don't have any Ad-blockers which prehaps makes things worse & I have to run an anti-virus scan after visiting the site, just in case. I would have thought that the competition amoung image hosting sites would be ferocious & that PB would do it's best to make the site as user friendly as possible but looks like they couldn't give a ****

I use Adblock Plus and have no problems with pop-ups on Photobucket other than their own "Upgrade for only..." pop-up which appears when you access their homepage. You have to install it separately on each browser you use (i.e. open Mozilla Firefox, go to their website, install, open Google Chrome, go to their website, install, and so on), but so far it has blocked almost everything.

I've been using Photobucket for several years myself. It's not problem free, but I don't seem to encounter some of the problems other users have. Yes, it's down for "maintenance" once in a while. Yes, it's often slow. But I've never had it freeze up on me or slow my laptop down. I suppose I'm just used to it. Besides, I really don't want to go through the hassle of moving all of those photos to another hosting site.

Thank you sir, I just installed Adblock Plus - so we'll see how it does. I am modestly encouraged that others are having the same issues I am. I am not wishing my bad fortune on others, but am glad that it is a site problem and not a user (me) problem.

Yep, that sounds like good old Photobucket. :D......when I first started to use it in 2012 it was great, smooth, rapid & easy to use, they changed their interface about a year after that which not only made it more difficult to use (by noobs like me anyway) but much slower & with fewer options. I guess it was working too well & a few geeks got together & said what can we do to **** up this site...I would have thought that the competition amoung image hosting sites would be ferocious & that PB would do it's best to make the site as user friendly as possible but looks like they couldn't give a ****
I do remember having problems uploading photos to Photobucket around that time. They would start to load, and then just stop around the 75% mark. Sometimes I'd find the file had uploaded regardless of what the "progress monitor" indicated, sometimes not. Other times I'd start over trying to load the same file, and by the time it told me it was complete I'd find it had uploaded the same file two or three times. o_O That convinced me to look at a couple of other photo hosting sites, but they seemed equally as complicated or more so and gave me the impression that I'd only have to learn how to deal with a new set of problems if I switched, so I just stuck with Photobucket. I just found out that next month will be 10 years that I've been using it and that I've uploaded a little more than 900 photos in that time, so that's a whole lot of moving.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's one thing you just don't see a lot here. We've had a Bottle Bill for forty years in Maine, and people who don't think those work never saw what this place was like during the few years that "No Deposit No Return" ruled the roost. All that disappeared within a week after the bottle bill took effect, and it hasn't been a problem since. There isn't even all that much waste paper on the streets anymore. Get rid of cigarette butts and ban chewing gum, and the problem will be solved for good.

Of course, we do have a problem with people hauling their junk out into the woods and leaving it there so they don't have to pay dumping fees at the dump. You'll be walking thru the woods enjoying nature and you'll take a turn on the path and see an old box spring, a broken computer, and a pile of flourescent light tubes lying there in a heap, half covered in rotting leaves. Ah, the forest primeval.

That's one thing you just don't see a lot here. We've had a Bottle Bill for forty years in Maine, and people who don't think those work never saw what this place was like during the few years that "No Deposit No Return" ruled the roost. All that disappeared within a week after the bottle bill took effect, and it hasn't been a problem since. There isn't even all that much waste paper on the streets anymore. Get rid of cigarette butts and ban chewing gum, and the problem will be solved for good.

Of course, we do have a problem with people hauling their junk out into the woods and leaving it there so they don't have to pay dumping fees at the dump. You'll be walking thru the woods enjoying nature and you'll take a turn on the path and see an old box spring, a broken computer, and a pile of flourescent light tubes lying there in a heap, half covered in rotting leaves. Ah, the forest primeval.

On balance there's less litter now than there was prior to, say, 1975(?). At least that's the case in Anecdotia, where littering, like cigarette smoking, has taken on the mark of the boor. Which is not to say that millions upon millions haven't yet heard the news.

I once did a ride-along with a state Dep't of Corrections work crew -- low-risk cons and a CO in a double cab truck with a high-sided flat bed. We rode around southeast Seattle picking up crap people had dumped over just the preceding few days since these fine fellows last went through.

Seattle is about as woodsy an urban environment as you'll find, and steep banks and ravines are the standard layout. So, where ya gonna toss your old mattress?

It was quickly apparent that if not for the unceasing efforts of these crews, the woods would soon be indistinguishable from trash dumps.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's one thing you just don't see a lot here. We've had a Bottle Bill for forty years in Maine, and people who don't think those work never saw what this place was like during the few years that "No Deposit No Return" ruled the roost. All that disappeared within a week after the bottle bill took effect, and it hasn't been a problem since.
We have such a thing for the plastic carrier bag that your store purchase is placed into for you to carry it home. It costs a miserly five pennies yet it has had a dramatic effect on reducing something that has become ubiquitous when describing litter. The small charge has reduced usage by 85%.

In NYC, the litter situation is dramatically better than it was in the '70s and '80s. The bottle deposit law basically created a secondary economy for plastic bottles and cans where you see people going through garbage already bagged, pulling out the bottles and cans and taking them in for the deposit refund.

You'll still see some general trash on the streets and sidewalks and, as tonyb points out, cigarette butts (from everyone, but the Millennials, for all their environmental passion, are guilty on this one) and, with a shout out to Lizzie's call, gum - but you can't find an empty plastic bottle or can in this City to save your life.

What I don't really get is why some sections of the city are so much dirtier - more litter - than others as I'm reasonably up on the City's budget and rules and they don't change from neighborhood to neighborhood, but you can feel and see the litter difference.

Last thought, for cigarette butts, if the city imposed a one cent refundable deposit on cigarettes, the problem would go away overnight as the bottle collectors would just add butts to their daily rounds (and other than administrative costs, it wouldn't cost the city much at all), but that would still leave the gum issue.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Gum-chewing is one of those habits that just turns my stomach -- I have to hold back a retch when I scrape it off the bottom of seats -- so I'm all in favor of anything that can be done to make it less disgusting. Maybe they can devote some of this space-age hi-tech research into coming up with a gum base that will gradually dissolve as the chewer chews it, so that there is no repulsive gnawed-over cud to be thrown on the sidewalk or stuck to the fixtures.

I'm all for a deposit law on butts. At least my grandfather would recycle them -- he'd tear them apart and save the unsmoked tobacco for his pipe. No wonder he coughed up chunks of pumice before he died.

Meanwhile, another thing that ticks me off is smarmy fake-friendly comments on medical bills. "We're so happy to have helped with your recent health care needs. Thank you for working with us to take care of this outstanding balance." Get stuffed, you parasitical exploiter of misery. And tell your CEO I hope he chokes on his pay raise.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
What I don't really get is why some sections of the city are so much dirtier - more litter - than others as I'm reasonably up on the City's budget and rules and they don't change from neighborhood to neighborhood, but you can feel and see the litter difference.

Besides litter and slum housing, the west side of the city is where crime is more prevalent.
When there is a crime commited
in this neighborhood that is considered news. The cameras
can park in front of the street.
The police usually rope the
area with "crime-scene" tape.

On the north side of town, when
a crime is commited.
The police will not permit the
cameras on the streets because
it upsets $$$$ folks who live
there.
And there is no litter on the streets.

Btw:
"Does your chewing gum lose
it's flavor on the bed post overnight?
If your mom says don't chew it
and you swallow it in spite!
Does your chewing lose it's
flavor on the bed post overnight?"

Last edited:
Gum-chewing is one of those habits that just turns my stomach -- I have to hold back a retch when I scrape it off the bottom of seats -- so I'm all in favor of anything that can be done to make it less disgusting. Maybe they can devote some of this space-age hi-tech research into coming up with a gum base that will gradually dissolve as the chewer chews it, so that there is no repulsive gnawed-over cud to be thrown on the sidewalk or stuck to the fixtures.

I'm all for a deposit law on butts. At least my grandfather would recycle them -- he'd tear them apart and save the unsmoked tobacco for his pipe. No wonder he coughed up chunks of pumice before he died.

Meanwhile, another thing that ticks me off is smarmy fake-friendly comments on medical bills. "We're so happy to have helped with your recent health care needs. Thank you for working with us to take care of this outstanding balance." Get stuffed, you parasitical exploiter of misery. And tell your CEO I hope he chokes on his pay raise.
Besides litter and slum housing, the west side of the city is where crime is more prevalent.
When there is a crime commited
in this neighborhood that is considered news. The cameras
can park in front of the street.
The police usually rope the
area with "crime-scene" tape.

On the north side of town, when
a crime is commited.
The police will not permit the
cameras on the streets because
it upsets $$$$ folks who live
there.
And there is no litter on the streets. ;)

That is a good point, but doesn't seem to apply here as I almost added in my first post that it doesn't align to $$$s. 5th Avenue and Central Park West are two of the most expensive street in the city (1 bedroom apartments go for over $1,000,000 - not a typo) and they both run along the park and are lined with massive and stunning pre-war doorman building where limos sit out front all day long.

5th Avenue is pretty darn clean; whereas, Central Park West is pretty darn dirty. Now, some have said it's political philosophy driving it as the Eastside (5th Avenue) is considered more conservative (but in this city that means some voted for Hillary not Bernie) than the Westside, where Central Park West is (they opened up their veins when Bernie lost), but that doesn't really make sense to me as the police don't enforce the laws differently and the sanitation department doesn't clean up differently on these two streets.

It really puzzles me.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
That is a good point, but doesn't seem to apply here as I almost added in my first post that it doesn't align to $$$s. 5th Avenue and Central Park West are two of the most expensive street in the city (1 bedroom apartments go for over $1,000,000 - not a typo) and they both run along the park and are lined with massive and stunning pre-war doorman building where limos sit out front all day long.

5th Avenue is pretty darn clean; whereas, Central Park West is pretty darn dirty. Now, some have said it's political philosophy driving it as the Eastside (5th Avenue) is considered more conservative (but in this city that means some voted for Hillary not Bernie) than the Westside, where Central Park West is (they opened up their veins when Bernie lost), but that doesn't really make sense to me as the police don't enforce the laws differently and the sanitation department doesn't clean up differently on these two streets.

It really puzzles me.

I wouldn't know about your area.
But this is the way it is over in
my neck of the woods where the
police and sanitation department
is vigorously enforced in the better
housing communities.
I grew up in the west side
at one time, moved to the southside. And live currently
in the north side.
The east side, not even in the day
time would I drive there unless I
have to cover a crime scene.

The sewer waste department is
located in this part of the city.
The odor is most evident to
visitors.
The cemeteries have mattreses
old sofas & appliances for the
departed in this area.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can say for a fact, proven time and again over the last decade, that at the theatre our upper-class crowds are far, far dirtier than the working-class types in terms of leaving their trash on the floor, making a mess in the bathrooms, and just generally disrespecting the work required to keep the place clean. The more plebian types don't expect to have someone else clean up after them, so they tend to do it themselves. The la-de-dah people have the attitude of "let Those People deal with it, that's what they're paid to do." Come the revolution I'll look forward to seeing some of those delicate shell-pink hands scrabbling around on the floor picking up crumbs.

I can say for a fact, proven time and again over the last decade, that at the theatre our upper-class crowds are far, far dirtier than the working-class types in terms of leaving their trash on the floor, making a mess in the bathrooms, and just generally disrespecting the work required to keep the place clean. The more plebian types don't expect to have someone else clean up after them, so they tend to do it themselves. The la-de-dah people have the attitude of "let Those People deal with it, that's what they're paid to do."

I have no disagreement with this ⇧, but again, these two streets are so stupid expensive, so rich (Seinfeld owns a multi, multi-million dollar apartment on CPW - and his isn't the exception) that it can't be money (oh, let's not clean CPW as they only pay 50 times the taxes paid by the average New Yorker but let's clean 5th Avenue because they pay 55 times - doubt it). Even further proving it's not dollars, my not-rich neighborhood is cleaner than CPW, but not as clean as 5th.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The la-de-dah people have the attitude of "let Those People deal with it, that's what they're paid to do." Come the revolution I'll look forward to seeing some of those delicate shell-pink hands scrabbling around on the floor picking up crumbs.
And there was me thinking that that attitude was a British phenomenon. They are the type who will spend a working persons month's salary in the supermarket, come out, load the mini tank that is a Range Rover and just leave their trolly/cart for the minion to put away.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I can say for a fact, proven time and again over the last decade, that at the theatre our upper-class crowds are far, far dirtier than the working-class types in terms of leaving their trash on the floor, making a mess in the bathrooms, and just generally disrespecting the work required to keep the place clean. The more plebian types don't expect to have someone else clean up after them, so they tend to do it themselves. The la-de-dah people have the attitude of "let Those People deal with it, that's what they're paid to do." Come the revolution I'll look forward to seeing some of those delicate shell-pink hands scrabbling around on the floor picking up crumbs.

You see that mentality in a lot of serve yourself dining establishments as well. People are asked to clean up after themselves, waste bins and dirty dish/ scullery trays are located at the exit... and the slobs still leave their waste for another - staff or even another customer- to deal with. My cousin used to joke with his mom about it when he was a kid and was asked to clean up after himself: "They pay foreigners to do that!" Of course he was doing so in jest.. but others are not: they really do have that attitude.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
There is more participation by the
$$$$$ folks with civic government
and they get results.
Voting precincts is mostly attended
by such.
As far as attitudes by the ones
as described by Lizzie, well that's
always a given.
Unless she becomes a dictator.
They're not going to change because they know they have "hired help" to clean up after them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21