Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Flip-flops.
This was a perfectly useful term for that type of footwear when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. But at some point people began to question it, "You mean beach sandals?" or "Do you mean thongs?" Thongs? Really? Use that term and you have to have an entirely different conversation just to determine whether you're talking about "cheap rubber sandals" or "derriere floss". :rolleyes:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
And Crocs. ;)

Something else the world can either thank or curse Canada for!
This was a perfectly useful term for that type of footwear when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. But at some point people began to question it, "You mean beach sandals?" or "Do you mean thongs?" Thongs? Really? Use that term and you have to have an entirely different conversation just to determine whether you're talking about "cheap rubber sandals" or "derriere floss". :rolleyes:

Too funny! But in good ol' Canada, they're still flip-flops. It is, however, the thong that bothers me. They ride up my foot and cause pain.

I can't imagine why anyone would wear such a design as an undergarment!:eek:

...But in good ol' Canada, they're still flip-flops. It is, however, the thong that bothers me. They ride up my foot and cause pain.

I can't imagine why anyone would wear such a design as an undergarment!:eek:
Thongs for your feet and thongs for your nether regions are both useful items, but they're not exactly interchangeable. :p

Edward

Bartender
There are times near the end of the month when the lag time between when the check is written and when it clears the bank makes all the difference. I will be very unhappy when paper checks go completely away.

Here in the UK it's technically fraud to write a cheque you know you don't have the funds to cover in your account at time of writing, but it goes on all the same. I remember a time when some small businesses only cashed cheques at the end of each month, which caught you on the hop if you'd forgotten and thought their money was already gone from your account...

My guess is the dentist's office personnel scanned or photographed the check and deposited it online. Or they might've deposited it in a nearby ATM.

The human bank teller isn't yet extinct, but s/he's getting there.

Certainly my bank closed my local branch (and its atm) last year. Course, aside from mortgage renewal (by phone) and depositing a cheque (increasingly rare), I don't need a branch with any regularity now, it's all online.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Here in the UK it's technically fraud to write a cheque you know you don't have the funds to cover in your account at time of writing

It is prohibited in Canada and is called "kiting" a cheque.

It matters not that the funds will be there at a later date (say you know your pay will be deposited tomorrow, and you expect the cheque to clear in three days' time), only that they were not there as of the date on the cheque (post-dated cheques are allowed, common as a means of having rent payments provided).

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Course, aside from mortgage renewal (by phone) and depositing a cheque (increasingly rare), I don't need a branch with any regularity now, it's all online.

My wife and I for our primary account actually use a virtual bank provided by our largest grocery chain. Loblaws partnered with a chartered bank, CIBC, to create President's Choice Financial. It is all online, at one of their branded ATMs or we can use CIBC ATMs.

We cannot, however, use CIBC branch personnel.

President's Choice Financial does have kiosks within their stores with someone there, but only for assistance, signing up new customers, etc. You cannot actually bank with them.

Our checking account is no fee for all cheques, deposits, online transactions. The only fee we ever pay is if we go into overdraft. But, unlike other banks, we do not have to pay a monthly fee just to have the overdraft, even if not used.

We also collect store points on debit and credit purchases, and collect on average $500 CAD towards food each year. AND they have their own chain of gas (petrol) stations, which is on average 2 cents per litre cheaper AND we get 4 points per litre (= 4 cents) towards store food purchases!

No, I do not own shares in this company.....

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Dentists are the plumbers of The Professional World. Nobody respects them, nobody likes to see them, but when you need one, thank God for them.

My own bias is that I prefer female dentists: at the risk of being branded sexist, I've noted that they tend to have smaller hands and finer motor skills. Been seeing the same one for over 25 years: I actually look forward to my dental visits.

Only bad experience that I've had in the past 40 or so years with a dentist was when my wife tried to handle an endodontist referral on the cheap, and I went to an in- service provider, a career Navy man who had all of the fine motor skills of a blacksmith and people skills of a floor trader. The ba***rd totally botched the procedure, and I ended up going to my regular endo guy who fixed it. Root canals are never fun or cheap.. but it's good to have someone who can do them quickly and painlessly.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My first dentist was a former WWII army dentist who never quite seemed to get the hang of the civilian world. He'd slap you across the face if you squirmed or made a fuss, and he was so incompetent that I ended up losing both of my first molars when they rotted out from under the fillings he'd installed. We finally abandoned him in favor of a new young guy just out of dental school, who, despite being named "Slaughter" was a very gentle and effective fellow.

He retired last year, and his replacement took her first look at my mouth , recognized some of my oldest fillings, and exclaimed "Ah! 'Butcher' Bunnell!"

My first dentist was a former WWII army dentist who never quite seemed to get the hang of the civilian world. He'd slap you across the face if you squirmed or made a fuss, and he was so incompetent that I ended up losing both of my first molars when they rotted out from under the fillings he'd installed. We finally abandoned him in favor of a new young guy just out of dental school, who, despite being named "Slaughter" was a very gentle and effective fellow.

He retired last year, and his replacement took her first look at my mouth , recognized some of my oldest fillings, and exclaimed "Ah! 'Butcher' Bunnell!"

Has the new doc checked, if your old Amalgam is solid and "dense"?? I have no fillings myself, but the topic doesn't release me.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
When I first encountered them as a kid visiting California in the early '50s, the other kids called them "zoris," and that's what I've always called them. I think it comes from the Japanese word for them.

When I first encountered them as a kid visiting California in the early '50s, the other kids called them "zoris," and that's what I've always called them. I think it comes from the Japanese word for them.
Now that you mention it I do recall hearing two or three people call them "zoris" when I was in high school in the mid- to late-70s, but that term never really caught on around here. And you're right, a "zori" is a traditional Japanese style of sandal that was originally made with a straw sole.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
She tried to sell me on the idea of replacing all of them, but admitted that those that remain seem to be sound. Cosmetically sloppy, but sound.
I am paying for the drill happy dentist from my youth. Around six of my teeth have broken and had to be capped. My current dentist said to just wait until they brake, then he will fix them. He was able to drill out and put in a new filling in the last one. Unfortunately, my right lower molar broke of at the back last month, doesn't hurt and money is tight, so I am hopping it will make it to next month!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It is prohibited in Canada and is called "kiting" a cheque.
Now theirs a word I have not heard in a couple of decades! I personally have never post dated a check, though I remember the signs, "no post dated checks accepted!" On a funny note, I accidentally dated a check several years ago with the year 1969, I did get the month and day right, it was cashed, so I guise back dating a check is acceptable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo