Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

I personally never ask any one, what do you do for a living? I find ones hobby's to be a more interesting topic!

There was a time when I answered the "what do you do?" query with something along the lines of, "well, I smoke quite a bit, and I drink pretty heavily, too, and I find it hard to resist feminine charms."

I can't honestly claim any of that anymore. I don't miss it. Not much, anyway. But aside from the lasting health effects of that first entry, I don't really regret any of it, either. And, like you, I find what a person does for him- or herself to be every bit as compelling as what that person does to put bread on the table.

Not a bad thing, but I think, it's OK for our "speakers corner", here:

I was underways in then next bigger city, because I wanted to look closer on some shoes. But, on my way back to the car, I decided to visit classic clothing department-store, too, because they still have some shoes, there. On my way out, I went to the first floor, where underwear, poloshirts, shirts and all that summer-fashion stuff is. And typical for our german deparment-stores are these metal or wooden/plexiglass "bargain-bins" with typical underwear valuepacks, for example. "Schiesser", "Bruno Banani", "Marc O'Polo", "Calvin Klein" and so on. Mainly all value-packs for the same price.

But, I didn't know, that Calvin Klein got even 3 pieces-packages! This way, the price for this classic brand-stuff is finally "human". So, I didn't think long about and grabbed one pack, because, I always liked to know, how good the original "retroshorts"-designed boxer-briefs from C.K. are! :)

And now, I got even three pieces of the "original", they pioneered in the early 90s. So, we will see, how good they are. But, the build-quality looks already clean and really above average of usual boxer-briefs/retroshorts! :)

PS:
Funnily, I was in one of our german big-size supermarkets, some days ago and detected and bought a 2 pieces-package of "Slazenger"-licensed-boxer briefs and I tell you, they are really fine, too!!

Life's good. ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I had a big lunch today with friends. On the way home at 6:00 I new I had better eat something, or I would be hungry at 11:00 at night, not a good thing! So I stopped in at Arby's for a Jr Roast Beef sandwich, discontinued, along with the small Ham & Cheese. The smallest is their Classic Roast Beef, and now they have the Half Pounder. Any one here remember when a Quarter Pounder was extra big?

Reactions: DNO
But, this "greek-style cream-yoghurt" with 10% fat, in 1 kilogramm-buckets, got really addictiveness, PURE spooned!! o_Oo_Oo_O Wonderful stuff. :)

Media says, it's very popular in the US, too?

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, Americans love Greek yogurt so much lots of store's even have store brands. Where I used to live (New York state) was a major producer of it.

Years ago I used to make a dip (strained yogurt) that I think ended up a lot like Greek yogurt... but now I can just buy Greek yogurt in the stores.

Yes, Americans love Greek yogurt so much lots of store's even have store brands. Where I used to live (New York state) was a major producer of it.

Years ago I used to make a dip (strained yogurt) that I think ended up a lot like Greek yogurt... but now I can just buy Greek yogurt in the stores.

I think, I will try this great cream-yoghurt with cooked potatoes and some fried-herrings, the next time. :)

Car-chases in movies... :rolleyes:

I always asked myself, why these hunted are never clever and do a trick like a sudden full-braking or so, to outmanoeuvre the chaser?? Has that ever happened in a movie?

Or dramaturgy-problem??

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I suppose it could be trivial to some, but people in general don't seem to have a good awareness of the trends, events, etc. of different decades of 20th-century history. For those of us who are picky about re-enacting a very specific era, it's annoying when they suggest things to us that are from way outside our preferred era, thinking that it fits in, when to us it really doesn't.

Ever notice nobody ever runs out of gas during a car chase?
Unless the chase is being broadcast live from a local news helicopter. :rolleyes: Even if they have a full fuel tank, I don't think I'll ever understand why these geniuses seem to think they can outrun a helicopter, whatever number of officers is required, and their radios.

I suppose it could be trivial to some, but people in general don't seem to have a good awareness of the trends, events, etc. of different decades of 20th-century history. For those of us who are picky about re-enacting a very specific era, it's annoying when they suggest things to us that are from way outside our preferred era, thinking that it fits in, when to us it really doesn't.

There's a '40s themed event in Boulder this weekend. Dollars to donuts there'll be more '50s and even '60s fedoras than the "real" ones. And the smart money would be on the bulk of the attendees being oblivious to it, if not indifferent.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Anything pre-1960s to most people today is "The Fifties." You could be wearing war-plant overalls, a flapper dress or an Edwardian gown and some wide-eyed naif will look at you and say "Wow, I love your Fifties look."

Well, that's because the baby boomers were alive then. And we know ANYTHING good was invented by the boomers. See: feminism, the civil rights movement, women wearing pants, food, vaccines...*

*this is a bad joke. No boomers were harmed in the making of it. I love the boomers, please don't firebomb my house in the droves a generation your size is capable of. ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My truck is still waiting for the recall fix, it will be one month this weekend! They are all doing their Sergeant Schultz impressions at the dealers. Now I read on the internet, it may be mid July until a fix comes out. The differential is leaking, if a gasket wont fix it, replace entire housing, problem solved! I thought I could invoke the lemon law, big catch, if your vehicle has been in for over 30 days cumulative, mine has been 35, then you qualify. However, it must be within one year of purchase. I took mine in at one year and a couple of weeks! They gave me a Dodge Ram, hate the wallowing big pig, and only 14 miles to the gallon. I bought a new truck so I could turn the key and not think about it. I literally have some friends looking for a 30s pickup, I can completely go through it and know it will be reliable, and with change left over!

ChrisB

A-List Customer
My truck is still waiting for the recall fix, it will be one month this weekend! They are all doing their Sergeant Schultz impressions at the dealers. Now I read on the internet, it may be mid July until a fix comes out.

I just got my part of the VW diesel settlement. They were required to buy back my 2013 Golf plus give an additional $5000. Another part of the settlement is that the 2015 models, which have been sitting in the dealerships since the scandal broke, must be sold at a $5000 discount after the new software has been installed. So, I gave them a car with 80000 miles on it and about $1500 and in return got a new car with full warranty. That's about as close to getting something for nothing as I will ever get in my life!

Last edited:
Unless the chase is being broadcast live from a local news helicopter. :rolleyes: Even if they have a full fuel tank, I don't think I'll ever understand why these geniuses seem to think they can outrun a helicopter, whatever number of officers is required, and their radios.

Always ;) the same happening, since decades of cinema. They drive as fast as possible, to get under the next brigde, to be "hidden"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy