Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Lizzie, I want to work with you for a day. It sounds like fun.

So, I have a couple, since I work with the public:

a) People who don't believe the words coming out of my mouth. Yes, the machine is broken. Otherwise I wouldn't have said so. No, walking over and looking at it isn't going to prove me wrong/a liar and grant you your wish for the product.

b) You asked how I am and I politely told you I am fine, which is a perfectly acceptable answer. Questioning my answer is not. If I wanted to give you all the details about the things that aren't fine just now, I would have. But as it stands you are a stranger to me and I don't feel it's appropriate to go beyond the niceties with you while I'm, you know, at work. And that goes for the answer, "Oh, I'm fine, just not feeling well"--which I gave you because you were pushing for more info. You don't need any more info than that because I don't have to share my medical history with you.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I feel exactly the same about the word classic when it's used to describe cars. It seems that classic is simply an age default. At some shows I've been to, there have been cars there that have dodged the crusher, clapped out rust buckets, that most people would have scrapped long ago. I have stopped going to "classic car shows" I prefer events that depict an era, where the fashions and gadgets of the day are the main topic, cars just being another gadget. I know everyone has their own definition of classic, but some of the cars that I have seen make the word classic, a euphemism: Rust ridden death traps, more like.

From the Classic Car Club of America, the inventors of the term "Classic Car", which in retrospect they should have trademarked:

"Classic Cars are fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948. (Some cars built prior to 1925 that are virtually identical to a 1925 model that is recognized by the Club are currently being accepted on a "Please Apply" basis). All of these are very special cars that are distinguished by their respective fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship." They were usually quite expensive when new with relatively low production figures. You won't find your Mom's '72 Plymouth Duster or your Grandfather's Model A Ford in the ranks of CCCA. We applaud other clubs who do recognize these cars and recognize that owning one can be a lot of fun, but they are not what CCCA is all about.

It's also interesting to see just how many cars were produced in the U.S. that CCCA now considers "Classic."

Browse through the list of Approved CCCA Classic Cars to see if the car you are interested in is a Classic as recognized by the Classic Car Club of America. If it isn't on the list, it's not a Classic."

F. J.

One of the Regulars
"Total lack of class" . . .

[...]
My husband and daughter were seated for breakfast and I was bringing food to the table for the three of us. This older woman walks up to me, points at a table and says, "I'm going to take this table. You're going to go get a rag and clean it off."
[...]
Total lack of class.

Entitled people sure are ugly, ain’t they? It’s the grateful people that are the most beautiful people you’ll meet, because they realise it ain’t all about them.

[...] I've never been embarrassed about being asked if I worked someplace. Normally I see it as a compliment. [...]

For some reason, every now and then someone will come up to me thinking that I work at whatever store I happen to be in. I’ve always thought it odd, as the real employees don’t look anything like me. Sometimes I wonder what these people are thinking. I’m sure it’s something like, “Let’s see, who works here? The disheveled girl in a blue polo and khakis or that guy in a suit and fedora?

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Car tags . . .

[...]
Tell you what Lizzie, I feel exactly the same about the word classic when it's used to describe cars. It seems that classic is simply an age default. At some shows I've been to, there have been cars there that have dodged the crusher, clapped out rust buckets, that most people would have scrapped long ago. I have stopped going to "classic car shows" I prefer events that depict an era, where the fashions and gadgets of the day are the main topic, cars just being another gadget. I know everyone has their own definition of classic, but some of the cars that I have seen make the word classic, a euphemism: Rust ridden death traps, more like.

In Mississippi, any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old qualifies for “Antique Car” status, which means you see '89 Camrys driving around with “Antique Car” tags. Of course, most people are probably using it for tax purposes: a one-time fee of $25 is all it is and there are no restrictions on driving, like in other States. As a matter of fact, Mississippi allows for “Year of Manufacture” license plates, which is using any genuine Mississippi tag from the same year the car was manufactured. As long as the same number is not in current use, it can be registered for $25. This makes sense for a '26 Ford touring car, not so much for a Dodge Grand Caravan.

From the Classic Car Club of America, the inventors of the term "Classic Car", which in retrospect they should have trademarked:

"Classic Cars are fine or unusual motor cars which were built between and including the years 1925 to 1948. (Some cars built prior to 1925 that are virtually identical to a 1925 model that is recognized by the Club are currently being accepted on a "Please Apply" basis). All of these are very special cars that are distinguished by their respective fine design, high engineering standards and superior workmanship." They were usually quite expensive when new with relatively low production figures. You won't find your Mom's '72 Plymouth Duster or your Grandfather's Model A Ford in the ranks of CCCA. We applaud other clubs who do recognize these cars and recognize that owning one can be a lot of fun, but they are not what CCCA is all about.

It's also interesting to see just how many cars were produced in the U.S. that CCCA now considers "Classic."

Browse through the list of Approved CCCA Classic Cars to see if the car you are interested in is a Classic as recognized by the Classic Car Club of America. If it isn't on the list, it's not a Classic."

When I was first getting into the antique automobile hobby (Criminy, has it really been that long ago?), I joined the CCCA for a few years. I later came to the conclusion that their main interests lay with cars somewhat newer than my main interest. I dropped the CCCA and stayed with Horseless Carriage and some Nickel Era clubs (and the model T clubs). I do like the CCCA and have many friends that are involved with them.

As I recall (from way back when), they did at least try to trademark the term "Classic Car" and for several years fought other clubs trying to use the word "classic" in describing other collector cars.
In the end, it was like trying to turn the tides with a tea cup. A million people wanting to call their car a "classic" and little ol' them that didn't actually invent the term (unlike Caterpillar or Kleenex). "Classic" was a legitimate word that had been in the dictionary for many years before they came along and used the word. They also ended up with a bit of a black eye amongst the many other clubs after a few of their spats. As I recall, it took a few years to live down. It was kind of ironic actually. I remember them taking on a (then) new club that had formed for "Classic '55/'56/'57 Chevrolet". When the CCCA was founded, to call a '55/'56/'57 Chevrolet a "classic" was not only laughable, it was impossible. The '55 Chevrolet had not even been built yet. (The CCCA was founded in 1952 as I recall)
I always felt a bit sad for the CCCA. They are a great club, with a special interest in cars that deserve special interest. When they adopted the term, they had no idea where the hobby would go in only a couple decades. If I had the money to afford a qualifying car (nickel era classic of course), I would like to belong to their club. But I had to sell my Pierce Arrow 25 years ago, and my Paige doesn't qualify.

Last edited:
I hope so. I wasn't offended that she was rude to me, but that she would be rude to someone who worked there like *that.*

Apparently she then looked me over and decided I was above the unwashed masses of hotel employees. I can guarantee that unless she is an heiress (and if she's an heiress she wouldn't be staying in a hampton inn) there's plenty of people who make as much or more than she does working for that hotel chain.

I am regularly mistaken for an employee in clothing stores like Old Navy, J.Crew or casual restaurants. I'm 50 years old - hence, twice the age of the average employee in these places - but for some reason, people think I look like an employee. Normally (in fact, I can't think of an exception), people ask me for help politely or, at least, not rudely. I don't remember having an experience like yours.

My upbringing and my belief system today is that having a job and doing a job well - any honest job - is something to be proud of. I am never offended by being mistaken for an employee (and I really mean it, it happens a lot to me), but when I politely tell the person I am not (if they need something simple and appropriate that I can do, I'll do it or point them to a person who can help), most people seem embarrassed and apologize as if they've insulted me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
a) People who don't believe the words coming out of my mouth. Yes, the machine is broken. Otherwise I wouldn't have said so. No, walking over and looking at it isn't going to prove me wrong/a liar and grant you your wish for the product.

This one drives me absolutely nuts. There's a certain class of customers who are convinced that, whenever anything isn't exactly in line with what they want the way they want it, it's because of your own incompetence and failure to understand their unique and special needs. When you try to explain that you aren't able to, as an example, sell advance tickets to a movie coming six weeks down the line because the point-of-sale software does not permit this, such a person will look you up and dow, give a supercilious nod, and say "mmmmmm, yuhhhhhh" thru clenched teeth in a way that makes it patently obvious that she doesn't believe a word of your explanation. And then she -- and it is *always* a woman, an overentitled white woman over the age of sixty wearing jewelry that costs more than you earn in a month -- will sort of sigh and roll her eyes, just enough so that you're sure to notice it.

If you've ever wanted to guarantee getting passive-aggressive treatment from anyone in any kind of a service job, pull that "mmmmmm, yuhhhhhh" business and you'll get it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I worked in retail stores many years ago before I went to work for television news.
I could not quite comprehend what was the purpose for the following which occurred
many times from many customers.

I'm referring to people looking at an item in the display case & informing me that they
could buy it for less at another store. [huh]

Other times, customers returning items that I knew for a fact
were not from the store.

Returning an item that was well used for a period beyond the warranty &
expecting a replacement or refund.

Was I ticked off ?

Actually I was frustrated, but I realized that the manager at times would
accommodate the customer that I decided to not let it get to me. :p

I worked in retail stores many years ago before I went to work for television news.
I could not quite comprehend what was the purpose for the following which occurred
many times from many customers.

I'm referring to people looking at an item in the display case & informing me that they
could buy it for less at another store. [huh]...
When I sold tires in the mid-80s a male customer walked in one day and said he needed a set of four tires for his car. After we had discussed what I/we could offer him, he asked, "Why should I buy them from you when I can go to So-And-So's and get them for $20 less per tire?" Knowing that he was talking nonsense because I knew what our competitors had to offer, I told him in all sincerity that he should get his tires from So-And-So's because I couldn't match their price. To this day I have never seen anyone with a more complete expression of confusion and "Wait, what just happened?" on their face. lol With both of us knowing I had called his bluff, he physically deflated and left with his tail between his legs without saying another word.

Whenever I've had anyone, in whatever my occupation at the time, get unreasonably demanding of me and suggest they have some right to their behavior because they "pay my wages," I've responded that he ain't paying me enough to take his ration of ****.

The customer is always the customer, but that doesn't mean he's always right. Some people are just more trouble than they're worth.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The customer is always the customer, but that doesn't mean he's always right. Some people are just more trouble than they're worth.

When a woman had a explosive tantrum in the lobby because our ticket prices had gone up fifty cents but we "hadn't announced the change in advance," and threatened to turn us "over to the Federal Trade Commission," I rather firmly invited her to seek her entertainment elsewhere. Seven dollars and fifty cents did not anywhere near cover the cost of dealing with that kind of bovine excreta.

When a woman had a explosive tantrum in the lobby because our ticket prices had gone up fifty cents but we "hadn't announced the change in advance," and threatened to turn us "over to the Federal Trade Commission," I rather firmly invited her to seek her entertainment elsewhere. Seven dollars and fifty cents did not anywhere near cover the cost of dealing with that kind of bovine excreta.

If you do not like the price, then do not purchase. No one is being forced to buy. Why get angry? Probably someone who is usually a unhappy person.
:D

When I used to sell at the local swap meets I would get the occasional person who would balk at my price and claim that someone else at the same swap meet had the same thing for much less. In response I would ask them where it is so that I could go buy it. :D

When I used to sell at the local swap meets I would get the occasional person who would balk at my price and claim that someone else at the same swap meet had the same thing for much less. In response I would ask them where it is so that I could go buy it. :D

My question would be along the lines of, "why did you pass up such a good deal?" I am sure that they thought they were the first to come up with this lame attempt to lower your price.
:D

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Take a number . . .

25138_a_zm.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
When I sold tires in the mid-80s a male customer walked in one day and said he needed a set of four tires for his car. After we had discussed what I/we could offer him, he asked, "Why should I buy them from you when I can go to So-And-So's and get them for $20 less per tire?" Knowing that he was talking nonsense because I knew what our competitors had to offer, I told him in all sincerity that he should get his tires from So-And-So's because I couldn't match their price. To this day I have never seen anyone with a more complete expression of confusion and "Wait, what just happened?" on their face. lol With both of us knowing I had called his bluff, he physically deflated and left with his tail between his legs without saying another word.

A friend of mine, after retiring from the Air Force, got a job at Safeway. He told me a lot of great stories, but my favorite was the elderly lady that came in every week with an empty carton of milk. She would proclaim it had gone sour, so they should replace it! The manager was a great guy and did not want to make a scene, so every week he would give her a new milk!

:p

WHEN WAS THIS BUILDING BUILT??? THE FORTIES????

[video=youtube;xLanB8--meQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLanB8--meQ[/video]

There are many aspects of my work that are a little unsavory, to say the least, but honestly, I have NEVER stood in a situation where, after being told exactly which arm and exactly which leg it was going to cost to make sewage stop bubbling up into the bathtub every time the toilet is flushed or the dishwasher runs, a client has told me that someone else could do it for cheaper.

I guess you take your silver linings where you can find them.:)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have NEVER stood in a situation where, after being told exactly which arm and exactly which leg it was going to cost to make sewage stop bubbling up into the bathtub every time the toilet is flushed or the dishwasher runs.
So that's where the expression: "Sh*t happens," originated from!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24