Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some advice please for next lid purchase...

addison

One of the Regulars
I'm a newb.
I bought my first real lid last summer, a Akubra Bogart.
I've learned more about what I like since then and I'm going to sell it off for something different.
I recently bought a BGCD, which I really love...I love the shape of it, the color, the bound edge brim and the shape of the brim. It's classic.
Now I want what will be my SECOND real hat, to be funded in part by selling off the Bogart.
I look at my CD as a non-formal "fun" everyday hat, and I want hat that might be a touch more appropriate with a suit but will still be good for casual use. The emphasis is still the everyday use, because I do not dress formally very often.
I'm considering another CD or a Fed IV in medium brown or light/medium gray. I would also consider a Stetson within a budget of under $200.
Whatever I buy needs to be able to withstand the elements. I will wear it in rain, snow, etc.
I'm looking for a lot of versatility because these two hats will be all I get for a few months as per an agreement with my lovely lady. <3
I would also consider other suggestions withing my budget. I just don't feel too confident diving into vintage hats just yet until I learn more.
God bless and thanks for your input!

Addison%20Campdraft%20date%20recvd%2010.26.16.jpg

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I just feel that Akubra hats are so amazingly overrated around here ... they are fine ... great for knocking around ...tough hats indeed ... but cats lose their minds about them on this forum

I too was trying to determine what my next hat would be. Considering I have an Akubra Bushman for the harder elements, a SBCD as well and with a BGGCD in the mail as we speak on it's way to me, I'm thinking my next lid will be a beaver Gannon. I just can't seem to settle on color. ;)

I was really digging the black cherry, until I saw Rodolfo's navy blue. But then there's the Whisky and also the Moss Green. Or the Steal Blue?

One of each? For $200 you can find a real hat, look at an old Knox, Mallory, Stetson, or even a Cavanagh. A hat that is 50 or 60 years old can show some real character. Try some styles on and see what looks good on you and then head to Ebay or the FL Classified section. The older the better!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I too was trying to determine what my next hat would be. Considering I have an Akubra Bushman for the harder elements, a SBCD as well and with a BGGCD in the mail as we speak on it's way to me, I'm thinking my next lid will be a beaver Gannon. I just can't seem to settle on color. ;)

I was really digging the black cherry, until I saw Rodolfo's navy blue. But then there's the Whisky and also the Moss Green. Or the Steal Blue?
Make up yer mind dammit! ;)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I just feel that Akubra hats are so amazingly overrated around here ... they are fine ... great for knocking around ...tough hats indeed ... but cats lose their minds about them on this forum
Lol. I kno! Everybody likes what they like and some are passionate to a certain degree. I feel alot of that is becuz they're also so damn inexpensive in comparison to other factory production hats. "For my money" they are really a good hat. When I put my Moonstone Fed on with a dark dress suit, I aint knockin aroun.

ingineer

One Too Many
Addison;
Bob beat me to it, since you are limited in quantity step up to the Gannon or the NW.
you can always get thrifty by choosing bunny, but i prefer the beaver
so nice to have a hat made just the way you like it
lotta bang for the buck
avoid the new Stetson under 230

emigran

Practically Family
Yer in it for the long run now it seems, Brother.....!!!. Don't sweat it and just keep yer eyes open to what ya might like and collecting and wearing... Pretty soon you'll be having way more fun, specially when people say to you in the elevator... " hey man nice hat...!!!"

addison

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!
I'll look into Northwest Hats & Gannon.
I like Akubra but have no intention of building an entire hat collection entirely out of any one brand.
In time, as I learn how to shop intelligently, I want to have a nice variety of hats from different makers including vintage.
I just don't want to dive in before I can do it wisely.

God bless you all...and I welcome further suggestions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner