Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some good lookin' hats

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Do we need to post a link with all of our pertinent sizes listed, so we can PM each other when we find something that is nice, and will not fit us, but may fit another fellow here on the board?

BTW, I'm 6'6, and weight 240lbs. I can never find any vintage suits in my size (46L-48L) on ebay.

havershaw

Practically Family
Not a bad idea. I run cross a lot of vintage hats, too, as I know a girl who does the whole estate sale thing here in AZ. She makes her living off of costume jewelry on eBay, but she mentioned that she sees hats all of the time, but doesn't want to get that involved with it and will pass them on to me. I'm happy to pass whatever I can't wear on to you fine folk. Tell me what sizes we should be looking for.

Or maybe we can all post our measurements in a common thread, a sticky thread, something like that? Maybe the News (since there's nothing ever there)? Somewhere that's going to stay a top thread so if one of us runs across something, they can easily check the post and see who it will fit?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Idea

Zohar, please fold your suits in half, cut 8" off the pant leg, and send them to me. I have maintained a 5' 6" build all my life. I started out thin like Daryl, but now that I am approaching 46 yrs., I have gradually ballooned up to 190. Yikes! Sierra Nevada!

My goal is to loose 20 pounds of ugly fat (no I won't cut off my head) and let Art sell me a good vintage suit.

I have always said "you know, I really look up to you!"
LOL LOL LOL

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A problem I have with modern suits Vs. the 30's styles is that the 30's styles were much more fitted and, well they just fit.

They did know how to tailor clothes back then.

10.jpg

Though big guys look good in suits too, they just need clothes that fit.
A large guy in 30's style clothes looks great.

095.jpg

29.jpg

My good friend Jonathan Stout here is a heavy set fella that has the togged to the bricks look when he has well made clothing.

jonathan.jpg

Come see Jonathan Stout and the Campus Five tonight at the Argyle.
http://www.maxwelldemille.com/argyle/index.asp
http://www.campusfive.com/main.html

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wow those lids are incredible, but lets not overlook those suits, my god there is nothing like the combo of an incedible suit and fedora, the cloths make the man as they say. Sometimes I wish I could raid a Hollywood costume supplier, imagine the suits and hats one could find.:cool2:

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gentlemen, I'm also in the "thin" club but for me it's a curse!! You see, in the vintage world the expression is " if it fits, you like it, you can afford it, you darn well better buy it cause this aint Macy's" If EVERYTHING fits ( my wife is also tiny ..size 2 dress) then you end up with a store))
Havershaw, how many 38s do you want? No, I'm serious...I even have 1940s new old stock suits in those sizes. About 5 yrs ago I bought the contents of a mens & boys clothing store that closed down in 1963. They had been storing things for 40 yrs and ended up with 92 NOS suits, but 88 of them were 40 & under. We spent 6 hrs ( 4 of us) just counting the merchandise before I could make an intelligent offer. I never figured out how intelligent it was, but we got the stuff.
I might even have some 38 longs in there Blues.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid I've always veered much more toward Raymond Burr than Dana Andrews, but I think size is only one factor of why guys seemed to look better back then. Most people then weren't rich, or even well off. They didn't have a wardrobe full of clothes. The clothes they had were made of good material that hung well, fit well, and were durable (planned obsolescence had yet to be invented). Because people wore the same clothes so much, they tended to "grow into them," and I'm convinced that people look better in clothes they've grown into. Even hats. I have a beat-up old mouse grey fedora that I've worn the holy hell out of, and it's never fit or looked better. I have shirts that are borderline unwearable, because they're starting to fray at the cuffs, but they're also beautifully faded and soft from washing. I've become so comfortable wearing them that they look better on than a brand new shirt. I vividly remember the only suit my dad owned in the 1950s -- light grey and speckled -- which he wore with a dark blue, wonderfully soft (particularly to a 3 year old kid) button-down pocket shirt, almost like a hunting shirt. He was a big, burly hardhat by day, but in that outfit he looked like a movie star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran