Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
Originally Posted by JazzBaby
The king of all sad songs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

The Sarah McLachlan version always gets me on that one. Other songs that get to me are Lynyrd Skynyrds "Freebird" and Bushes "Glycerine". Both were played at my brothers funeral and have not been able to listen to them since. Hank Williams "Angel of Death" always tuggs at the heart strings as well. Oh the memories we associate with music...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Ever since I heard the story of "I'll Never Smile Again" I can barely stand to listen to it without almost going into mourning. If I try to sing it, tears are a sure thing.

Edit: I see nobody has listed that one yet, so here's the story, just so you can cry along with me.

Ruth Lowe (August 12, 1914 – January 4, 1981) was a Canadian pianist and songwriter. She wrote the song "I'll Never Smile Again" after her husband died during surgery. The song was later covered by many artists, including Frank Sinatra and The Ink Spots.

At age 23 (1938), Ruth married Harold Cohen, a Chicago music publicist. It was a very happy marriage that only lasted one year until Harold's tragic demise during an operation in 1939. In her great grief, Ruth composed a tune she named "I'll Never Smile Again". The song was first heard on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) radio program 'Music By Faith', in an arrangement by Percy Faith, a fine Canadian musician who would soon go on to fame in the USA and the world. Approximately a year later, Ruth passed a copy of the tune to a saxophone player in the Tommy Dorsey band, hoping to have Dorsey hear the tune. Dorsey thought the tune had much merit, and arranged it for his very young singer, Frank Sinatra. It was Sinatra's first great hit, and really launched Sinatra on his phenomenal career

So, you see, it's not just about your lover leaving you for another.

-Dave

sinatras_gal

New in Town
my most passionate song

I would have to say that one song that gives me the chills is
"Stardust- Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller" it's solely that version ( as there are many) that really is so passionate and romantic.You hear at one point ppl clapping so it is very sweet,
I want it to be my wedding song. haha

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Really?? I love him- makes me weak in the knees...:eek:

I heard he's a Wife-Beater.

My money will not go to any of those types. (Which includes George Jones... Unless Keith Richards covers him, which he has. I have it on bootleg.)

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
And, honey, I miss you.... (sob!)

Okay, may be a little sappy, but Bobby Goldsboro's Honey gets me every time.

Also, Bill Cosby's spoken-word single, Grover Henson Feels Forgotten

Mr. Lucky mentioned Glen Campbell's Wichita Lineman a while back. I'll vote for that one, too.

lizylou

Familiar Face
sinatras_gal said:
I would have to say that one song that gives me the chills is
"Stardust- Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller" it's solely that version ( as there are many) that really is so passionate and romantic.You hear at one point ppl clapping so it is very sweet,
I want it to be my wedding song. haha

I adore this song also........... It so smooth just Like John Coltrane's :In a Sentimental Mood oooooooooooo I just melt at that song

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
Space Dementia by Muse- it starts out grandiose and then it gets really fast paced and frantic and like the lyrics state. The songs makes you feel so elegant in the beginning, very turbulent and hopeless in the middle and then towards the end you just feel so empowered and pick yourself up again and march forwards. (and listen to the song again, lol)

Exactly Like You by Ruth Etting-I can relate to her daydreaming about someone you admire but alas, it's limited only to a daydream.

And Rachmaninoff's piano concerto No. 2 in C monor Op. 18 because the way the piano is played makes one feel fragile like you could shatter like glass.

celtic

A-List Customer
Tom Waits - Martha (gets me EVERY time)
Leonard Cohen - Suzanne; Chelsea Hotel #2
Billie - Strange Fruit, My Man
Simon & Garfunkel - For Emily, Whenever I may Find Her
Shane MacGowan & Máire Brennan - You're the One

The Foggy Dew - The Chieftans with Sinead O'Connor

Amazing Grace - any lone piper who can play well

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh gosh this is timely as we are currently looking at music for OH's funeral next week....

"String of Pearls", Glenn Miller, because we would have danced to it at our wedding.
Bach's Cello sonata in ... can't remember but the music from "Truly, Madly, Deeply"
Fairport Convention, "Hexhamshire Lass" (not vintage, but I was his Hexhamshire - well, Lancashire - lass)

The one I will not have because it would make me cry too much and I'll save that for my own time in our own home, is "I'll Be Seeing You" - any version.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Phantom 309".
The original Red Sorvine version is good but to hear Tom Waits do it live on "Nighthawks at the Diner" is the best.

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
I would have to say the following immediately spring to mind:

Blue October - 18th Floor Balcony: I think it's the sweetest song that I've ever heard, and as others have stated to other songs, it'll be played at my wedding, whenever it may occur.

Genesis - In the Air Tonight: The best song ever for starting slow and building. And really, who doesn't love that little drum part when it really picks up.

Genesis - Land of Confusion: An excellent call to arms type song which is great for getting fired up. Also, the cover by Disturbed, which I realize wouldn't be a cup of tea for many on here, is a fantastic revitalization of the song.

I know there are plenty more, but that's what's off the top of my head.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
A smattering off the top of my head

What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life--Michel Legrand (But the Mel Tormé version hits me hard)

Gone--Melody Gardot

Fields of Gold--Sting, and Eva Cassidy's version is supreme

The One--Elton John. It's tied to my father's death so it's much more potent, but it still gets me

Amazing Grace--Blind Boys of Alabama (to the tune of 'House of the Rising Sun') WOW AND WOW. Find it.

My Father's Waltz--Hem

Summertime--Gersh.

Stardust--Nat King Cole (always Cole)

celtic

A-List Customer
oh,

right after Katrina I saw a clip of tha carnage with "I Wish I Was in New Orleans" playing in the background.....

wow....i can barely even hear the first few bars without wanting to bawl anymore...

kyda

One of the Regulars
There aint no thing like swing

There is an Australian song We were only 19 it is about the vietnam war that gets me teary every time and Glen Millers In the Mood just makes want to get up and "cut a rug"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes