Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sorry...I now understand the Talon zipper is a good, strong zipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredS

One of the Regulars
No worries ...spoke to my tailor here in town and he is going to remove the main zip and have brass buttons put on with button holes. Problem solved. :) Thanks for all the help.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've had no issues with vintage Talons nor vintage Conmars (the Crown on the other hand has a reputation for being more troublesome with more moving parts).
I've had more issues with repro Talons and Conmars, albeit not serious ones - both less well cast and stiffer in use.
Ask yourself, of all the AAF (and many USN) jackets produced, why were so many contracts placed with Talon as the closure?

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
I don't know anything about zippers. Or brass buttons. I guess this thread will be closed, as well. If anyone can tell me who in France can replace a zipper on my old Ghurka bag (Ghurka refused the honour, saying it was too old and crummy, I kind of like it) I'd appreciate it.

devilish

A-List Customer
Well, I guess that makes my post obsolete but I'll post anyway. I have a 60 year old Hercules HH that is about as heavy a jacket as it gets. That jacket is fitted with one of the Talon zips in question that still works as well as the day it was made. Smooth action and easy to engage even when I don't pay attention and just 'zip' without thinking about it. FWIW.

Lungomare

A-List Customer
I wish I could but I'm one of those people that once something gets into my head it makes me go ape...I just cannot handle it especially coz I specifically asked not to have Talon zippers and what did they do?
They put in Talon zippers and on top of it they put in the worst Talon zipper of all for the main zip, the #5 Talon which is a lightweight zip that will definitely fail on a leather jacket.
I am actually not even looking forward to receiving the jacket at all anymore because of the cheap junk rubbish zips they put in. It has spoiled the entire experience for me.

Please mind:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...warns-Viking-apocalypse-22-February-2014.html

Kind regards,

Johannes

FredS

One of the Regulars
Well, I guess that makes my post obsolete but I'll post anyway. I have a 60 year old Hercules HH that is about as heavy a jacket as it gets. That jacket is fitted with one of the Talon zips in question that still works as well as the day it was made. Smooth action and easy to engage even when I don't pay attention and just 'zip' without thinking about it. FWIW.

Thank god...that's what I was hoping to hear...some good news at last....phew! All my worries have gone like mist before the sun. Thanks :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Yeah, but aren't the talon zips used by Al repo jobs and not the same? I have a Talon 5 zip on my Al jacket and it doesn't appeal to me much. The toggle keeps getting stuck in it's own connecter ring and I don't like the look of it. Prefer YKK quality to be honest. But it hasn't failed and I don't know if it will. Just run with it FredS and see what happens.

Mark

Practically Family
I don't think this is a reliability issue with you, rather its about you wanting a more chunkier looking zipper! That's fair enough.
I requested the original Aero zipper for my Highwayman but it must have slipped their mind as I got a Talon zipper. I must say i'v warmed to it, it looks good and is lovely and smooth.
Suggest you give it a try and as others have said chill a bit or you will not enjoy your new jacket for sure.
all the best,
Mark

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I don't like those big thick zippers at all. They overpower the jacket and make you look like "Zipper Man".

FredS

One of the Regulars
This is the actual thread which led me to believe (in error now in retrospect) that Talon zippers don't last very well.
I now realize that these failed only because they were specially made on order for Aero with cotton zipper tape.
Art Deco Talon zippers, perfect replica of Talons 1930s open ended zipper in brass on the correct cotton herringbone weave tape.
So they failed because they had cotton zipper tape which the modern Talon zippers don't have and they were used on very heavy leather.
Most Talon zippers now have polyester zipper tape which is much stronger.
I would have preferred a heavier looking zipper just for the visual effect but perhaps this Talon #5 zipper will look just as good in it's own way.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...replacements-available-for-norra-lorra-moolah

I am sorry I got so freaked out about nothing really. It's also because I forgot to take my pills.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Honestly Fred, just relax and enjoy the jacket when it comes. It won't be perfect, nothing is, but I bet you no-one will notice.

I look forward to the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner