Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sponge rollers---your looks and suggestions?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Soft Sponge Rollers?

It was either in a thread on this site or a post in the vintage hair livejournal community, but someone recommended getting soft sponge rollers for setting hair in overnight.

So I picked up some Conair soft sponge rollers (size Large) and put them in my hair tonight, but I can't get the darn things to work! They wont stay attached to my head, but just hang with the weight of my hair. Are they supposed to do that? The packaging says to twist the wire ends together, and that's the way I've fastened them, but there's gotta be a better way! They are so bulky and hanging in such an odd way that I cant even get a bandana or scarf around my head to sleep in!

We'll see how they turn out tomorrow, but for now, any advice?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
They sound like a pain! I use just regular sponge rollers, but in a medium size. They actually are not that bad to sleep in. For me, I just need to sleep on my back and then I'm fine.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Get a slumber cap for sleeping :)

I use medium and small regular sponge rollers and lots of setting lotion.

Also a curling iron around the same size as your rollers will also help in the morning, when one or two curls need fixing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
And also, if you're having problems with 'tweaky' ends, your probably not rolling them up properly, which can be especially a pain if you've got layered hair. Here's a trick I've learned; as you're rolling up your hair, keep rolling the ends so that they get rolled into the rest of it....making sense? (I'm one of those visual people so sometimes I have a hard time explaining stuff...sorry!)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
And also, if you're having problems with 'tweaky' ends, your probably not rolling them up properly, which can be especially a pain if you've got layered hair. Here's a trick I've learned; as you're rolling up your hair, keep rolling the ends so that they get rolled into the rest of it....making sense? (I'm one of those visual people so sometimes I have a hard time explaining stuff...sorry!)

I get what youre saying! Unfortunately I do have layered hair (otherwise its just too thick and crazy), but I think I've pretty much mastered what you're saying.

These are a pain, but they seem like they'll be comfortable. But if they dont work out, what are good brands of sponge rollers to get?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
No, they should be tight against your head unless you want them to hang.

The problem is probably your rolling technique. Either the curlers aren't wound tight enough, or you are starting too low. I find it is easier to roll damp hair.

Try combing a section of hair straight into the air and hold your arms up to start winding. That way all the hair on the roller is even (i.e. not more on the top or bottom) so it doesn't slip out.

Also, watch how much hair you are putting on the roller, if it is too much, it is hard to get everything neat.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Another trick for "fishhook" ends is to use curling papers they also go by other names (end papers) Sally Beauty has them. They basically are little rectangles that you wrap the ends of your hair with to keep the ends smooth, then roll as usual.

You can also rip up kleenex into small rectangles and it works just as well:)

I think I have similar rollers to the Conair, only mine are by Scuncii. They are a little faom pillow in fabric with a wire running through the middle. I don't have any problem witht hem hanging so you may want to try the suggestions mentioned here already for rolling them. They are MUCH more comfortable to sleep in than the plasic foam rollers. I also use a lace sleep cap so my hair gets less frizzy.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
I think I have similar rollers to the Conair, only mine are by Scuncii. They are a little faom pillow in fabric with a wire running through the middle. I don't have any problem witht hem hanging so you may want to try the suggestions mentioned here already for rolling them. They are MUCH more comfortable to sleep in than the plasic foam rollers. I also use a lace sleep cap so my hair gets less frizzy.

I re-rolled them the way that was suggested in here, but when I woke up this morning, my hair was much more Clara Bow than I wanted it to be! I probably rolled them too tightly. Is it possible to get looser, "40's" style curls with this type of roller, or should I just get some regular ones?

Let me tell you though, it certainly works! I look like a poodle! :)

Redlights

New in Town
It depends on how tightly you roll the curlers. I can get pretty loose cascading curles (check out my "hello I'm new" post for hair done in half normal sponge rollers and half of those soft sponge rollers) with those. I just have to be careful to not pull the hair as I roll them.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
i have used the ones with wire in them and i wrap the bottom part of the hair strand in two pieces of toilet paper. that keeps the ends from getting funky and too curly. two pieces because that wraps easier than just one!

lara

Elina

New in Town
Sponge/Foam Rollers?! I need some help..!

Hey all!

I need som help... I've been searching for sponge/foam rollers for such a long time, but it seems like you can't find them here in Sweden...! I haven't though, not in the size I want them in (medium, 3/4")

I'm talking about these kinds of rollers:

product3.jpg

Everyone are welcome with tips and advices! :)

And if there is someone from Sweden, or Scandinavia, who could help me to find a site, where to buy this kind of rollers, and rather cheap as well.. I would be very grateful!
I've been looking at these kinds of rollers on some american sites, but the shipping is sooo expensive for Sweden..! :( :eek:

I really want those rollers, since I think that they would be less damaging to my fine/thin hair, than the pin curls I've been doing since January. (I tried to roll upp my hair with small foam rollers, and it worked ok, but I think a medium size of the rollers would be much better!)

Thanks in advance! ;)

Antje

One Too Many
Don't you have a warehouse called Hema or v&d,
here in Holland we can buy anything from Hema or v&d
or maybe you could use flexible perming rods also very easy

Lillemor

One Too Many
Occassionally Oriflame has had them and that's where I got mine from but I don't think they have them right now. I wasn't happy with mine. Could just be that they don't work with my hair texture. I always get frizzy results. They curl really fast though but it's not the kind of curl I like. I always break a lot of hair when I take them out but I'm unsually hair proud in the modern sense (good care, good hair "health") for an FD member.lol If they work for you then that's great!

I have that size and a larger size. I think the quality of mine are really cheap. I used magnetic rollers in the U.S. so I don't know if the conventional pink ones are better than the ones I have. You're welcome to mine. I think there are 12 with a small diamater and 12 larger sized. I don't know exactly what size they are.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
I'm of no help for finding big foam rollers in Denmark, but I looked everywhere I could think of in my relatively small Canadian town and had just about given up ... when I found the perfect ones in the dollar store! I'm not sure what the quality of them is like compared to the fancier ones, but they work really well for me. If all else fails, give the dollar stores a try!

jacqueline101

New in Town
I found that Grandma has the best rollers

Do you have a grandma or aunt some one that has rollers you can ask them where they got theirs or borrow them. If not i have seen ones like those at the dollar stores.

Cricket

Practically Family
I also had a question about foam rollers. I am not sure if this would be the correct place to put this post, so feel free to move it if you have to.

I bought my first set of foam rollers yesterday, and I set my hair before going to bed. This morning when I unrolled them, it looked horrible. So I thought about the FL and how everyone says to brush it out to eliminate the "poodle" look. I did that and I got a frizz cloud. I ended up getting back under the water and speed drying before work.

Also, I have naturally curly hair. I just wanted to do the foam follers to get a tamed look instead of the wild wavy unruly hair that I have naturally.

My question is this:
What is the placement scheme of the rollers upon your head? I have about 50 foam rollers and they range in all sizes. What sizes go where? I put a lot of the smallest rollers around my face and I looked like a female version of Richard Simmons lol

Also, what is the correct brush to be used to brush out your curls? When you do brush it out, is it more of a separating motion or do I really need to get in there and do some super brushing?

Thanks ladies, I need your advice because my son started crying when I woke him up this morning for school. lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Cricket said:
Thanks ladies, I need your advice because my son started crying when I woke him up this morning for school. lol

Aww! lol

Well I'd say you need to experiment with slightly larger rollers than you used, and maybe smooth each strand with a tiny bit pomade before rolling it, which I find makes mine less frizzy when unrolled. Not too much though or it might be counter productive! How long did you brush for? I have to brush constantly for several minutes to tame it, sometimes adding a smoothing creme/pomade in between. I use a mixed bristle/nylon brush, but most ladies here advocate just the nylon.

Don't put too many in your hair especially as it's curly to begin with. I use about 10 total, in one row going around my hairline. I've tried doing two rows, but ended up with too much volume!

Hope that helps a bit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo