Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spotted a PorkPie on Alton Brown!!

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
I was watching Good Eats on the Food Network (I admit it! I am also a foodie.), and at the end of this particular episode (Give Peas A Chance), Alton walked out of a house and propped a PorkPie on his head. Woohoo! Food Geeks wear hats too!!!

Cheers,

RC

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen that episode, but he definitely strikes me as the sort that would be sporting a hat, particularly a pork-pie! Gotta say, he's got one of the better show on Food Network, I think. Other than Nigella Lawson; mmm-mmm-mmm WOW!!! lol I digress...

Regards, Andy

obiwan

Familiar Face
I've often thought I should buy a pork pie but I just don't know if I could pull it off. I do fedoras, stingy brims, bowlers, flat caps, homburgs but I just don't know...

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
obiwan said:
I've often thought I should buy a pork pie but I just don't know if I could pull it off. I do fedoras, stingy brims, bowlers, flat caps, homburgs but I just don't know...

I would be more inclined to wear a pork pie than a stingy or a bowler. I've some of Art's that are just beautiful. Nice Peter Lorre avatar, by the way!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
If Alton Brown has one, I must get one. I can't tell you how much stuff I've bought because he recommends it. I have a man crush on him.

Ande1964

Practically Family
We love Alton in my family, too. I sometimes feel like he stole the job I was meant to have, as I'm a foodie and kind of a science/gadget geek.

He wears hats pretty frequently. Most notably, in my mind, when he went to Philly to score some pretzels. I belieze that was a fedora, with the brim flipped up.

Anj

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Ande1964 said:
We love Alton in my family, too. I sometimes feel like he stole the job I was meant to have, as I'm a foodie and kind of a science/gadget geek.

He wears hats pretty frequently. Most notably, in my mind, when he went to Philly to score some pretzels. I belieze that was a fedora, with the brim flipped up.

Anj

I'll have to watch that episode again. I have a black stingy brim fedora that I sometimes wear that way when I want a jazz look.

When Brown did his butter episode, he was at a creamery about half a mile from my house.

The only thing of his that was a complete flop was cooking barbeque in big flower pots. I do his turkey every Thanksgiving.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
obiwan said:
Obi, why not try out a pork pie bash yourself on one of your own hats, one that's nice and soft/buttery, if you have one. Don't use any steam, just hand bash it into a porkie and try it on.....see how you like it, what it looks like on you. You'll never klnow just wondering about it, give it a try.....don't like it, rebash it back the way it was with some steam, no problem. That's how I discovered my love for them. I always loved them (on vintage pics/musicians/celebs, etc...) but didn't know how/if I'd like 'em on myself.Since then, I've bought 1 and bashed 3 or 4 more of my own. Give it a try. [huh]

Ande1964

Practically Family
RockBottom said:
The only thing of his that was a complete flop was cooking barbeque in big flower pots. I do his turkey every Thanksgiving.

I made the flower pot smoker, and love it!

Anj

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rcinlv said:
I was watching Good Eats on the Food Network (I admit it! I am also a foodie.), and at the end of this particular episode (Give Peas A Chance), Alton walked out of a house and propped a PorkPie on his head. Woohoo! Food Geeks wear hats too!!!

Cheers,

RC
He is a favorite in our house as well! He is also into motorcycles.:D

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If its good enough for Alton...

its good enough for me. I always learn something new on his show!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
There is a Cosby Show episode with Sammy Davis Jr. sportin a PorkPie and at the end of the show he gives Cosby the hat and it is so damn funny what Cosby does with it...should watch it...

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
He is a favorite in our house as well! He is also into motorcycles.:D

Did any of you watch the special series he did a while back, "Feasting On Asphalt"? That was a pretty good show, not sure if he's still doing it. Gotta love all those backwater places that serve up the best comfort food you can find!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
airforceindy said:
Did any of you watch the special series he did a while back, "Feasting On Asphalt"? That was a pretty good show, not sure if he's still doing it. Gotta love all those backwater places that serve up the best comfort food you can find!

He's done two of them. The first was east to west (the one where he broke his arm). The second was south to north up the Mississippi

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RockBottom said:
He's done two of them. The first was east to west (the one where he broke his arm). The second was south to north up the Mississippi

AND...during filming the second series, he ran into one of the Loungers in Hannibal, MO, and said Lounger got Alton's autograph. There was a post about it...hmmm...last summer?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
This thread inspired me to order a porkpie. Not knowing if I'd like that style, I went cheap: Bailey. Looks OK, but I can't figure out what to wear it with. I have my set matchings: a fawn Akubra Sydney with my black top coat, Akubra Adventurer with trench coat or my Wested "Indy" jacket, Kangol Monty beret or Stetson driving cap with my A2, etc. I need something jazzy and funky to work with a porkpie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran