Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stampede ring / Chin strap

frussell

One Too Many
Couldn't see Tom's photos from my work computer, but his last horsehair string photo is exactly what I prefer. They usually come with two loops that you feed up through the hole in the brim, widen them out, and they go around the hat like a hatband. I don't think I'd be comfortable punching holes in a non-western hat though, especially since they come at a premium in my size. Frank

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't see Tom's photos from my work computer, but his last horsehair string photo is exactly what I prefer. They usually come with two loops that you feed up through the hole in the brim, widen them out, and they go around the hat like a hatband. I don't think I'd be comfortable punching holes in a non-western hat though, especially since they come at a premium in my size. Frank

That's something I'd be wary of as well!

On a side note, there's one thing I'd like to ask you gentlemen: how easy are stampede strings to install and uninstall?

Ideally, I could look out my window in the morning and judge whether or not stampede strings will be necessary that morning. If not, that's alright, but modularity is something I can admire !

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I use one with a replica M1911 campaign hat I have, that was made to the very first pattern of that hat.

I wear cowboy hats a lot, and even here in the highly windy region, I don't find them necessary. But on this hat, I originally affixed it as I needed a hat for my son who had outgrown his cowboy hat, and we didn't have time to buy one before we headed out to gather cattle. Since then, I've left it on and as I use it for a fishing/hunting hat, I do find it useful if I need to push the hat off my head and onto my back for one reason or another.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
I agree, I rarely use mine also even when windy. I just put it to the back most of the time. It is invaluable when in the boat or on the ATV however.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Removable chinstrap on a Akubra Federation IV?

Has anyone done something like this? 85-90% of the time, I would not want a chinstrap, but since this is my outdoor hat, there have definitely been some situations where a chinstrap would have been very useful (hiking near cliffs, horseback riding, etc...). I was wondering if anyone has done this and how I could go about attaching one that could be easily taken on and off. Thanks!

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Thanks, I didn't see that strap on their website. It kind of scares me to sew buttons onto my hat. I'm wondering if somehow attaching it to the sweat band would be better?

I don't know what the David Morgan stampede straps are like. You can purchase them from Western Supply
Websites with small cotter pins that can be pushed up under the sweat and expanded to hold the straps on.
I have some on my Western hats.

The DM versions require a specific grommet to mount too as they have in their Squatters that other versions don't.
The cotter pin versions slip between the stitches of the sweat & flare out to hold in place like Perry stated.
Eventuall the pins will wear down from repeated pinching & flaring but look easy enough to replace when worn.
I have some on horse hair stampede strings but don't like the braids snugged against my face.
The cheaper ones are coarsely woven, so beware.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Just another solution to consider: The western hat used in Chile has a permanent stampede string attached. When not wanted it's behind the head and out of the way.

When the stampede string is needed it's just placed under the chin.

During the times that you don't need the string, it's not even noticeable from the front.

The real advantage is that if your working, you have the string attached and with you, ready to use.

Last edited:

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've used a different method of attaching a chinstrap with some westerns, or Aussie hats (most recently an Akubra Banjo Paterson). It is similar in a way to the cotter pin business, but much better IMO. I've never seen it anywhere - my own concoction.

Here's how it works:

(1) Carefully cut a short slit into the sweatband, not so close to the stitches that it could pull through, but pretty near the line of sweatband attachment. The slits are parallel to the brim of course. You need to be careful to get these in exactly the right places, for me just in front of the ear.

(2) Make a flat loop in the string ends. Don't knot anything - it has to be stitched down. I use nylon cord, so I remove a portion of the inner core to make the ends flatter, fuse with flame, then stitch the loop.

(3) Get a couple of flat (not fat!) cable ties and cut off about 3 inches of the pointy end. These hold the string in place. You slip the loops through the slits in the sweatband, and pass the flat, flexible plastic pieces through the loops, between crown and sweatband.

The length of the plastic distributes the stress along a good length of the sweatband, not all in one place. It lies flat and stays put until you remove the plastic tie. It doesn't wear out from bending like cotter pins. When not in use, I stuff the string and ties into a plastic push-top container and stash it.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have two of the double loop stampede strings, one braided leather, and one braided horsehair. I love the braided leather, but the braided horsehair doesn't stay down at all. If I decide to put it on a hat, I might just sew it down. I also have two leather shoelaces on the hats I currently use the most. I'll trad that out for Deer antler when I get a chance.

Later

NivlemRulz

New in Town
I've used a different method of attaching a chinstrap with some westerns, or Aussie hats (most recently an Akubra Banjo Paterson). It is similar in a way to the cotter pin business, but much better IMO. I've never seen it anywhere - my own concoction.

Here's how it works:

(1) Carefully cut a short slit into the sweatband, not so close to the stitches that it could pull through, but pretty near the line of sweatband attachment. The slits are parallel to the brim of course. You need to be careful to get these in exactly the right places, for me just in front of the ear.

(2) Make a flat loop in the string ends. Don't knot anything - it has to be stitched down. I use nylon cord, so I remove a portion of the inner core to make the ends flatter, fuse with flame, then stitch the loop.

(3) Get a couple of flat (not fat!) cable ties and cut off about 3 inches of the pointy end. These hold the string in place. You slip the loops through the slits in the sweatband, and pass the flat, flexible plastic pieces through the loops, between crown and sweatband.

The length of the plastic distributes the stress along a good length of the sweatband, not all in one place. It lies flat and stays put until you remove the plastic tie. It doesn't wear out from bending like cotter pins. When not in use, I stuff the string and ties into a plastic push-top container and stash it.

Woodfluter, do you have any pictures of this concoction to share? I had an idea similar to this, but yours sounds much fancier and well thought out. Thanks!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Woodfluter, do you have any pictures of this concoction to share? I had an idea similar to this, but yours sounds much fancier and well thought out. Thanks!

No pictures at the moment, but if there's an interest, I can do some.
I'll put that on my list!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy