Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stampede ring / Chin strap

frussell

One Too Many
BR - Does that string come through holes in the hat? That's just about exactly where I usually place my holes for a double-loop horsehair stampede string, and end up wearing it snugged up at the base of my skull in back, like a drill sergeant, when not riding in high wind. I've never had much luck with the cotter pin type, I almost always find a way to get hooked on something or pull out some stitches. The only trick with cutting the holes in the brim near the crown for a double-loop is to use a real punch of some kind, so your holes are round and even, with no edges or corners to promote tearing. To Mike, yes, I often have to sew my horsehair strings down, usually with a small loop of thread the same color as the hat or band. Horsehair is difficult to train, unless it's in the form of a well-braided flat hat band. Most days, since I'm not riding as much with huge groups of greenhorn tourists now, I just wear a hat that fits snug enough so it won't blow away. Like Ben Johnson used to say, if your hat comes off while riding, you're not "holding your mouth right." Frank

Reactions: RJR

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Frank, The stampede loop is stitched in between the sweatband and the felt. The loop is one long string with the ends stitched in and the adjustment is made with a slip knot.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Holes in sweatband to use with a stampede string
sweatbandhole.jpg

This is the pin between sweatband stitches
sweatbandpin.jpg

"normal" eyelets for the string
eyeletsstrap.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
NOW, I find this thread...lol... Just posted on the main board asking about rebashing leather. My concern is that this looks like heck, but is the only hat I have with a stamped string, and I am headed to a 10-day photo workshop in NW Montana where I'll be kicking my hat off a lot to aim/focus, etc. Don't want to be tossing my Rands on the ground.

Oh, and I just moved the upper half of that string to the rear; didn't notice it until after brushing dust off.
15621373-lg.jpg

stephena310

One of the Regulars
After searching and reading as much as I could, I finnally decided on which Stampede String and where to place it.....I have two Stetson Western hats: One a black Rancher xxxx (which I wear all the time) and a Brown/Chocolate Merced xxxx (which I wear less)....Anyway I went with "horse hair" and placed the holes in front of my ears (like in the middle of my side berns) near the edge of the crown.......! And they work great and don't get in my way.....!
IMG_1090.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

RJR

After searching and reading as much as I could, I finnally decided on which Stampede String and where to place it.....I have two Stetson Western hats: One a black Rancher xxxx (which I wear all the time) and a Brown/Chocolate Merced xxxx (which I wear less)....Anyway I went with "horse hair" and placed the holes in front of my ears (like in the middle of my side berns) near the edge of the crown.......! And they work great and don't get in my way.....! View attachment 52830 View attachment 52831
That's how I did mine.

Hi MV

What exactly is a Stampede cord? Is it just a leather boot lace stuck through two holes in the hat? I read something in another forum about cotter pins or something else that will pull out and not rip the hat?? I'll NEVER find it again or I'd post it.

Later
If you go to the David Morgan site....the US distributor for Akubra, they list them and show a diagram on how to install. I have an order in for two of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo