Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
steampunk-r2d2.jpg
Hoo-doggies! R2D-2 as Hugo Gernsback might have envisioned him...and when the weather gets hot, he churns his own ice cream! :D

I sort of agree that steampunk ought to have more of the flavor of the ordinary tinkerer — Edison, Ford, the Wright brothers, all started out as working Joes with big dreams. Philo Farnsworth conceived the television scanning gun while plowing a potato field. That is your great American technical tradition — or the start of it.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
I sort of agree that steampunk ought to have more of the flavor of the ordinary tinkerer — Edison, Ford, the Wright brothers, all started out as working Joes with big dreams. Philo Farnsworth conceived the television scanning gun while plowing a potato field. That is your great American technical tradition — or the start of it.
You must be thinking of the Edisonades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edisonade

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
imagined monologue

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/monologues/25steampunk.html

first paragraph:
Remember when I was crawling around the attic, looking for my old Planters-peanut-man Halloween costume? I didn't donate it to the children's theater, like I told you. I salvaged the monocle, top hat, and cane, combined them with a swallowtail tuxedo, and stole away to a midnight screening of the underrated masterpiece The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now to build a Victorian time machine as H. G. Wells describes, all in brass with dials and a seat and levers ... how wonderful would that be? Has anyone done that? The Time Machine is one of my favorite books and I recall that Wells gave a pretty detailed description of how the machine should look.

(Naturally I do not mean one that ACTUALLY TRAVELS.)

Rachael

A-List Customer
Doran said:
Now to build a Victorian time machine as H. G. Wells describes, all in brass with dials and a seat and levers ... how wonderful would that be? Has anyone done that? The Time Machine is one of my favorite books and I recall that Wells gave a pretty detailed description of how the machine should look.

(Naturally I do not mean one that ACTUALLY TRAVELS.)

There is one in Hollywood somewhere:

sheldonmachine.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic