Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

shortbow

Practically Family
Well, I've had a good look around the net, since my last post, at the whole steampunk thing, and while I sure like the vibe, I see that lots of the "stuff" supporting the civilian exercise of the genre is props, toys and costume. The seemingly much narrower interpretation that heats me up is steampunk as an aesthetic/style applied to real world practicality and usefulness in the vein that Deco or Nouveau was overlaid on artifacts actually in use. I did an extensive search for steampunk firearms and all I could find was just props. Seems there is a strong element of the poseure in all this, although I found some extremely cool things like motorcycles, furniture and clothing. What I'm picking up is a desire (probably easily understood here) to move away from the sterile plastic environment that modern technology and design have given us. Hope it flies in the long run, as Lord knows we need some warmth and funkiness in our modern Western society.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
shortbow said:
What I'm picking up is a desire (probably easily understood here) to move away from the sterile plastic environment that modern technology and design have given us.

The "more metal, less plastic" attitude is what first interested me. I am also a little disappointed by the lack of functionality, but I just like it when gears move.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I think a big part of the lack of steampunk firearms might also be that a large part of the popularity of steampunk is in areas that have somewhat stringent firearms laws - Japan, Europe, and California.

That and the conventions and things these people attend probably frown upon live weapons being brought in - sort of like Ren Faires want you to tie your sword into the scabbard.

Regarding the sterile, plastic environment, I agree 100%. I think steampunk is just another facet of what we're into here - a desire for when design was a selling point, not just cost. It's a shame, too, because wasn't it Loewy who said that if two things are priced identically, the nicer looking thing will be the purchase? The difference between us and them is that we find art in machine-age items, and they find art in Victorian items.

Bakelite (admittedly a plastic, but a cooler plastic) and black enamel are my brass and varnished wood.

-Dave

Jerekson

One Too Many
Absolutely love steampunk. I've consdiered getting an ensemble set up, but honestly, when would I ever wear it?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Warbaby Goes Steampunk...

...preparing to fire up the Vivian Engine at the local museum.

R_steam4sepiaF.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KeyGrip said:
The "more metal, less plastic" attitude is what first interested me. I am also a little disappointed by the lack of functionality, but I just like it when gears move.

That is exactly why I like the genera. Its metal, glass, wood and fibers. No plastic. Its fascinating.

Jerekson said:
Absolutely love steampunk. I've considered getting an ensemble set up, but honestly, when would I ever wear it?

Me too.
Im going to make a Victorian jacket and walking skirt, but out of corduroy. I dont know where Ill wear it, but Ill have it ;)

LD

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
My beef with "Steampunk"

I have a problem with the term Steampunk. I can't separate it from the origin of "Cyberpunk" which was that high tech (cyber) had become so ubiquitous that the lower echelons of society (punk) had access to it, a radical concept in the expensive computer, mainframe 1980's. This "dumpster dive technology" aspect was the core of cyberpunk literature.

With Steampunk, the idea is that Victorian technology is made to preform modern high-tech functions. This idea allows people to create cool handcrafted brass computers and design huge steam powered flying machines, but the term is wrong. Most of the fantasy scenarios that surround Steampunk are based on the rigid Victorian class system with upper class scientists and royal society explorers. But where are the lower classes, the punks? They are relegated to servants and supporting characters, which absolutely no one wants to cosplay.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the genre. I enjoyed reading The Difference Engine and I think Girl Genius is the best comic book being created today, but they should use a different term. Maybe Cyber-Steam or Vikki-Tech or something, just not Steampunk. There is nothing Punk in Steampunk.

Warbaby

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
I think a big part of the lack of steampunk firearms might also be that a large part of the popularity of steampunk is in areas that have somewhat stringent firearms laws - Japan, Europe, and California.
-Dave

Guns that reflect the steampunk aesthetic do exist (and are exempt from any U.S. firearms laws). Unfortunately, none of us will ever be able to afford them.

matchlock1.jpg

16th Century German Double Wheel Lock Hunting Rifle

matchlock2.jpg

Lock Detail

lock_LePage.jpg

Detail of a Lock on a French Dueling Pistol by Henri Foret LePage, 1898​

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
Guns that reflect the steampunk aesthetic do exist (and are exempt from any U.S. firearms laws). Unfortunately, none of us will ever be able to afford them.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't think that highly baroque piece is in fact steampunk. The "steam" era pretty readily coincides with cartridge ammunition. Admittedly, the laws are pretty free on pre-1900 firearm ownership, but I still think that the public carry laws in most areas are gonna keep any steam-era firearms (real or imagined) at home in the cabinet.

So if you can't use it (and in this case, I mean wear/carry it, not shoot it), why own it? I think that's why most guns are going to be props and not the real deal.

But please, don't let me discourage you from "steaming up" a modern firearm. I think it could be just as interesting as the computer conversions we've seen previously in this thread. Heck, maybe you can start a trend toward "Steampunk Action Shooting."

As an aside, if you could come up with Victorian-looking ear protection that alone would outsell brass-trimmed goggles, because you'd be attracting not only steampunks but the cowboy action shooters.

For my part, I've always wanted to drop a modern Mauser action in an early-20th-Century military stock, but the barrel is usually a sticking point (along with my complete lack of gunsmithing skills).

-Dave

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Mahagonny Bill said:
but they should use a different term. Maybe Cyber-Steam or Vikki-Tech or something, just not Steampunk. There is nothing Punk in Steampunk.

Good point. I've seen terms like, Neo-Victorian, Gaslamp Fantasy, Steam Pulp, and Scientific Romance used to describe the genre. Each one has it's own unique connotations depending on whom you ask, but they're all the same to me.

shortbow

Practically Family
Steamy or not, that LePage is awesome. I'm nuts for Nouveau and that salamander blows me away.

As to a Steampunk Mauser, have a look at the original one, the 1871 single shot in .43 and its later iteration, the 71/84.

On the punk vs aristo thing, I just saw The Golden Compass, and the young heroine is pretty working class, complete with an accent off the estates, and the whole flic is populated with gypsies and other undesirables in good-guy roles. I can't get into this like I might otherwise do, because of the no politics rule, but there have always been non upper class exceptions in jolly olde (think t.e. lawrence, sir richard burton (the first one) and others. Also, over here, we yanks and canucks and such have a nice long history of victorian era derring do, exploration, science, et al. Still, I take your point and sympathize with it.

Back to guns, my vote for most Steampunk gat of the era would be a ginormous eight or four bore double rifle made by one of the London makers. A few of those cigar sized cartridges stuffed in one's bandolier would be mighty pretty and lots of steam downrange.

BTW, not being able to march around a convention with one's arms would not be a drawback to me as it's the style, the aesthetic that interests me and I don't need an audience to enjoy it on my own hook. Pretty much of an iconoclast, actually,:D my good man.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
About 10 times over.

LD
I shoulda guessed. I've seen similar ones but not that particular piece. I am so tempted to do something like that to my laptop. I have neither the skill nor the tools, but still... tempting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou